FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Is it True? You only drop one status level? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/605151-true-you-only-drop-one-status-level.html)

twoner32 Sep 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Is it True? You only drop one status level?

I am plat. this year. I would need to fly every day to make it for next year. ( I will travel about 30,000 miles this year)...I've heard that NWA only drops you one level--is that true? Or will I just be Silver next year?

nethak Sep 23, 2006 11:47 pm

I think the general opinion is that "it depends." I have personally always been dropped one level Plat->Gold in past years where I didn't qualify but I did fly 20k+ miles. The reason I say it depends is because I think I've seen other posters say that they were not given a soft landing and were dropped immediately to dirt.

slippahs Sep 23, 2006 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by nethak
I think the general opinion is that "it depends." I have personally always been dropped one level Plat->Gold in past years where I didn't qualify but I did fly 20k+ miles. The reason I say it depends is because I think I've seen other posters say that they were not given a soft landing and were dropped immediately to dirt.

It does depend. But, if you do receive a "soft landing" (as the term of arts is called), it will likely be after January 1st, closer to Feb. 28 when NW will reevaluate the number of elites they have in each tier.

There is no guarantee of being Gold.

SeoulGold Sep 24, 2006 4:22 am

I was a Platimum (or top tier Gold) for over 13 years thru 2004, :D :D :D but due job, employer and location changes :) I was forced to do my business with other carriers :(. After flying less than 25K miles in 2004 I was dropped to Gold and when I flew nothing in 2005 I was expecting nothing, but Northwest surprised me in January by giving me Silver anyway (which I really did appreciate ^ ^ ). Unfortunately I am flying less and still not wirh Northwest, so I expect I will hit Mortal next year. :( But it was fun while it lasted... :p

SchmutzigMSP Sep 24, 2006 8:56 am

Originally Posted by twoner32
I am plat. this year. I would need to fly every day to make it for next year.

That's not really true. 2 SIN runs and you should be set (depending on routing and origin, of course). ;)

I wouldn't expect to be dropped only one level, so plan for it otherwise. If they do drop you to gold, consider it the exception rather than the norm.

Jaimito Cartero Sep 24, 2006 10:26 am

As Seoul Gold pointed out, there may be exceptions (primarily for high revenue or Asian customers), but I wouldn't expect it at all.

The only one level decrease you can count on is from Silver to Dirt. :)

nanamn Sep 24, 2006 10:36 am

I have actually heard of the single tier drop not being the norm.

Stripe Sep 24, 2006 10:38 am

You might get some sort of challenge to retain your level. My spouse and kids are all silvers but have flown very little this year. They all recently got letters offering to requalify them as silvers for 2007 if they flew two roundtrips between now and year-end. (The flights have to be in "qualifying fare classes" of course.)

twoner32 Sep 24, 2006 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
As Seoul Gold pointed out, there may be exceptions (primarily for high revenue or Asian customers), but I wouldn't expect it at all.

The only one level decrease you can count on is from Silver to Dirt. :)

I am Asian but live in Minneapolis and always have, does that help me at all? :)

I'll just try and fly a lot to get to at least Gold Status.

slippahs Sep 24, 2006 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by twoner32
I am Asian but live in Minneapolis and always have, does that help me at all? :)

I'll just try and fly a lot to get to at least Gold Status.

If you have relatives in Asia whose mailing address you can "borrow," it might...

yogimax Sep 24, 2006 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
If you have relatives in Asia whose mailing address you can "borrow," it might...

Sorry, Slippahs, I know we all like to play the "game" as best we can. This suggestion, however, stretches the ethical line to the point of breaking.

twoner32 Sep 24, 2006 9:46 pm

I agree this isn't right to do, plus it would never work because all of my flights are from a US City. I'll just earn Plat. the old fashion way....fly a tony and buy the F fare.

slippahs Sep 24, 2006 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax
Sorry, Slippahs, I know we all like to play the "game" as best we can. This suggestion, however, stretches the ethical line to the point of breaking.

I agree it's unethical. However, I know of a few, both personally and here on Flyertalk (myself not included), who have feined their mailing addresses or used a friend's to gain free WC membership.

I'm simply pointing out that the practice is done, nonetheless.

twoner32 Sep 25, 2006 8:24 pm

I agree it's unethical. However, I know of a few, both personally and here on Flyertalk (myself not included), who have feined their mailing addresses or used a friend's to gain free WC membership.

I'm simply pointing out that the practice is done, nonetheless.

So, I have concluded that I need to just plan on being Silver next year. Any good MR's from MSP?

mjharad Sep 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Been PLAT for 3 years, won't even qualify for SILVER this year

and I'm very curious what they'll do. Hopefully, at least Silver!