Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Plat Points/WP Promo's and NW/KLM codeshares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First

With the multitude of WP promos and Platnium Points, I am having difficulty in understanding what flights qualify for different promotions and how I earn Plat Points.

I reach Platnium back in August and I've been making several roundtrips to Europe from DTW, going through AMS, all in WBC. However, I'm always connecting on to a KLM flight or CSA flight out of AMS. All flights have been a J or C fare.

Since I've earned Plat, I've flown (all in WBC)
1)PRG-AMS (KL Flight #, OK operated) AMS-DTW (KL flight #, NW operated)
2)DTW-AMS (NW flight #, NW operated) AMS-PRG (KL flight #, OK operated)
3)PRG-AMS (KL flight #, OK operated) AMS-DTW (NW flight #, NW operated)
4)DTW-AMS (NW flight #, NW operated) AMS-PRG (NW flight #, KL operated)

The only time I've earned Plat Points is for #4. Am I being disqualified because of the KLM codeshares, even if it is only on the AMS-PRG segment like #2 and #3? If thats the case, it seems stupid since I am flying NW from DTW-AMS, but NW doesn't serve PRG so I have to fly on KL or OK. Not like I have a choice, and even when I book the flights, I don't have much say in whether they are coded as NW or KL flights. Same think with the 20K Bonus Play.

I could very easily fly Air France from DTW and stay on the same airline the entire way, but I'd rather take NW.

Does anyones else have any experience with this and the NW/KL codeshare overriding promos?
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:16 pm

PP has to be a NW or KLM flight or NWA/KLM flights in B or higher class

Including an OK flight means no PP

The thing I don't understand is why you prefer NWA to AF out of DTW. Last two trips I took to STR were both on AF all the way.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Yeah thats what it says, but its vague since they are all NW or KLM flight numbers. So you are saying that the OK operated AMS-PRG flights void out the DTW-AMS NW operated portion of the itinerary? All of the tickets have been J/C fares.

I have no problems with the NW WBC service, plus I prefer the options to/from DTW through AMS, opposed to CDG.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:02 am

Unfortunately yes OK does not work
LIke when you do a DL flight on SAA no points either
Metal and F# are important to NWA promo's (unfortunately)

I agree that AMS is so much easier than CDG to connect - but the on board service is worth the airport hassle
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:01 am
Original Poster

My comment about Air France was refering to the fact that I could easily fly Air France to PRG, and still earn the same number of miles, since I can't get the promo's. Instead I decide to give NW/KLM my business and I don't have any incentive to fly them, versus other codeshare partner (AF).

That said, my reasons for taking NW versus AF include:
1) 4 flights on DTW-AMS, providing my with better flight times (like the 9:30pm flight from DTW, or being able to arrive back in DTW before 1pm
2) Connecting in AMS versus CDG
3) Supporting my hometown airline - NW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.