FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   MSP TSA Goons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/590238-msp-tsa-goons.html)

wentona777 Aug 14, 2006 6:36 am

MSP TSA Goons

Hello Everybody -- I am new to the NW board here. I am DL elite, but typically fly on NW... I am posting this from the MSP WorldClub as I wait for my flight.

Was waiting for my original flight this morning and these two men in casual business attire (striped shirts and ties) kept pacing around the gate area. As one gentleman had his BP swiped, they flashed some ID to the gate agent and followed him down the jetway. About 30 seconds later, they came back up holding a 2/3 full bottle of Diet Coke with Lime, told the gate agents that they had seen him tuck it under his jacket earlier this morning, deposited it in the trash, and left the gate area.

I had been waiting for the gate agents to print my bump voucher, so I asked what the heck had just happened -- they had no idea what was going on, and just said "I guess Big Brother really IS watching you."

Maybe I'm wrong, but unless this passenger was really identified as a potential threat, doesn't this seem like overkill -- following a passenger all the way to the gate and waiting around for him to board just so they could grab his soda?

RichMSN Aug 14, 2006 6:58 am

Originally Posted by wentona777
Hello Everybody -- I am new to the NW board here. I am DL elite, but typically fly on NW... I am posting this from the MSP WorldClub as I wait for my flight.

Was waiting for my original flight this morning and these two men in casual business attire (striped shirts and ties) kept pacing around the gate area. As one gentleman had his BP swiped, they flashed some ID to the gate agent and followed him down the jetway. About 30 seconds later, they came back up holding a 2/3 full bottle of Diet Coke with Lime, told the gate agents that they had seen him tuck it under his jacket earlier this morning, deposited it in the trash, and left the gate area.

I had been waiting for the gate agents to print my bump voucher, so I asked what the heck had just happened -- they had no idea what was going on, and just said "I guess Big Brother really IS watching you."

Maybe I'm wrong, but unless this passenger was really identified as a potential threat, doesn't this seem like overkill -- following a passenger all the way to the gate and waiting around for him to board just so they could grab his soda?

I know I feel safer.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wentona777 Aug 14, 2006 7:07 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I know I feel safer.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And I was thinking the same thing every time NW started boarding a flight with the statement "If you have any liquids or gels that you brought through security or purchased at the airport, they must be discarded before boarding the aircraft..."

cj001f Aug 14, 2006 7:28 am

I'm speechless.

davetravels Aug 14, 2006 7:57 am

They better start NOW - building more jails to house all of the "new" criminals like that guy!!!

I wondered if people were "smuggling" small items like trial size bottles of contact lens solution in their pockets or if they were patting down everybody to prevent it!! I heard that the 'flights out of the UK' rules stated that all pockets must be empty.

wentona777 Aug 14, 2006 8:01 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
I wondered if people were "smuggling" small items like trial size bottles of contact lens solution in their pockets or if they were patting down everybody to prevent it!! I heard that the 'flights out of the UK' rules stated that all pockets must be empty.

I didn't see any pat downs (besides the usual) and security at MSP was actually quite normal. I guess they had just spotted this guy purcahse a bottle of soda and tuck it into his jacket at some point...

yogimax Aug 14, 2006 8:02 am

Originally Posted by wentona777
they had seen him tuck it under his jacket earlier this morning,

Get used to the fact that we live in a new world. Certainly, tucking a bottle under a jacket could be considered suspicious.

We lived in Manhattan on September 11th five years ago and experienced the result of terrorism.

Sure, we will be inconvenienced by the new regulations, but we all should be glad they are in place.

kcnwa Aug 14, 2006 8:12 am

Too bad the majority (you know which party I'm referencing :) ) don't care until it's too late. People won't feel sorry until they are directly affected.

That hair gel, or Purell bottle, yes, now are suspicious. Hiding a bottle of gatorade in your bag will get you searched.

I am glad they are in place. Give the TSA a week to adjust, things will be streamlined and people will look less like goons.

We live in a different era. Get used to it.

Originally Posted by yogimax
Sure, we will be inconvenienced by the new regulations, but we all should be glad they are in place.

cj001f Aug 14, 2006 8:29 am

Not only do people think the intrusive security works, they welcome it :(

airboss Aug 14, 2006 8:38 am

[QUOTE=yogimax]Get used to the fact that we live in a new world. Certainly, tucking a bottle under a jacket could be considered suspicious.

having gone thru many many security check points..and watching 82 year old men and women being hand searched...seems to me that, even though we are conditioned to be "profile blind" due to our progress in race relations..perhaps it is time to re-think profiling.....seems to me that most, if not all of the terrorists fit ONE very narrow description. i have given up my toothpaste, my razor, my ointments for small cuts, my pocket knife (which would come in mighty handy for STOPPING a terrorist), maybe its time to fix the source of the problem. if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....my experience has shown me....its a DUCK !!!! maybe we can make their travel experience as uncomfortable as they have made ours.

GUWonder Aug 14, 2006 8:46 am

Originally Posted by yogimax
Get used to the fact that we live in a new world. Certainly, tucking a bottle under a jacket could be considered suspicious.

We lived in Manhattan on September 11th five years ago and experienced the result of terrorism.

I am not glad that these new "security" procedures are in place at MSP and elsewhere in the US.

The current knee-jerk responses accomplish little or are even outright counterproductive -- especially as they gobble up resources that are better used for something else.

[And to the previous post that considers/advocates racist profiling -- by whatever euphemistic name is given, it's still racist profiling -- that's not only another knee-jerk waste of resources, it's also seriously counterproductive when it comes to addressing the threat of terrorism.]

So MSP is using those cameras and having "big brother" keep their eyes open to "seek and destroy" people pocketing their beverages; what a waste.

jimc_usa Aug 14, 2006 8:48 am

I always thought that the TSA at MSP was the most relaxed and easy to joke with at security I go through. Ah well just an humble opinion!y

newK2 Aug 14, 2006 9:23 am

just my 2 cents... flame away

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

attributed to Benjamin Franklin and others during the American Revolution (when he and those others were considered 'terrorists' by many)

airboss Aug 14, 2006 9:24 am

I am not glad that these new "security" procedures are in place at MSP and elsewhere in the US.

The current knee-jerk responses accomplish little or are even outright counterproductive -- especially as they gobble up resources that are better used for something else.

I couldnt agree more....what is YOUR plan???

yogimax Aug 14, 2006 9:29 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

[And to the previous post that considers/advocates racist profiling -- by whatever euphemistic name is given, it's still racist profiling -- that's not only another knee-jerk waste of resources, it's also seriously counterproductive when it comes to addressing the threat of terrorism.]

So MSP is using those cameras and having "big brother" keep their eyes open to "seek and destroy" people pocketing their beverages; what a waste.

Sorry, but I don't agree. Are you aware that it is the Labor Party in Great Britain which is pushing for the issuance of identity cards?

In a perfect world, there is no need for what you characterize as "big brother." Actually, you are well aware that the use of such terminology is unfair and merely clouds the issue. No one is arguing that what the government did to Japanese-Americans at the outbreak of World War II should be repeated.

The argument is simply common sense. I have also watched senior citizens being hand searched. THAT is a waste of resources.

Sure, it was totally unlikely that the man who stashed his soda under his coat was a terrorist. But what about the one time when it may have been a threat. Do you remember Richard Reid?

Anything that causes a potential terrorist to reconsider their plans or make the planning more difficult is worth the effort. I am sorry you feel it is a waste of resources.