2006 Platinum: 2007 Coach Only?

Old Jul 29, 06, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA, UAL, USAir, etc.
2006 Platinum: 2007 Coach Only?

I've been NWA Plat for 3 years. But looks like I might not even make Silver this year. Will I loose all status? WIll they make me Silver at least? Thoughts?
Old Jul 29, 06, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
My understanding is that they will just downgrade you to Gold Elite next year. i'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.
Old Jul 29, 06, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
o.k., I also may be wrong. My thought was that you would lose all status as the one level downgrade was a thing of the past.
Old Jul 29, 06, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I think you loose it all. You could maybe call and get a waiver or something if you said you would be flying a lot this year, but that is it. I think AA is the only one that still does the one level downgrades.
Old Jul 29, 06, 1:50 pm

There is no indication that NW will do anything other than drop you all the way to base member level. I wouldn't count on only dropping to Gold. But, if you didn't even fly enough to make Silver, that probably isn't an issue.
Old Jul 29, 06, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
There is no indication that NW will do anything other than drop you all the way to base member level. I wouldn't count on only dropping to Gold. But, if you didn't even fly enough to make Silver, that probably isn't an issue.
Very good point. If you're flying so much less that you can't make silver, having any sort of elite status on NW wouldn't be that much of a prize, except for what has now been dubbed "wallet candy" by others members of FT.

That said, if you do intend on flying, take a MR to get to whatever elite level you need. Or, plan all your travel in Jan/Feb of 2007.

You could also try a comp of your status to another carrier that'll take your NW Plat status.
Old Jul 29, 06, 3:02 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yogimax
o.k., I also may be wrong. My thought was that you would lose all status as the one level downgrade was a thing of the past.
Interesting.

After being an NWA elite for so many years, I only expect to have a measly 6k EQM for 2006. Let's see what happens in Feb. 2007.

Gold or silver or base member really don't make much difference to me except that Gold would have increased availability for saver awards which might help me to use 250k miles in the account.
Old Jul 29, 06, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
book your award tickets before Feb 2007, the reservation may still show you as PLAT at the time of your travel. Good Luck! regardless of getting the F upgrade, at least you will have more availability for award selection.
Old Jul 29, 06, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Originally Posted by Wildman
book your award tickets before Feb 2007, the reservation may still show you as PLAT at the time of your travel. Good Luck! regardless of getting the F upgrade, at least you will have more availability for award selection.
or your regular revenue tickets. If you book your revenue tickets before Feb. 2007 the record will still show you as platinum. EUA won't process, but I am pretty certain BF upgrades will be processed with you as a platinum member.
Old Jul 29, 06, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Can you get comped on another airline (if you're not already becoming elite elsehwere), and then use that to get NW to comp you next year?
Old Jul 29, 06, 6:59 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
or your regular revenue tickets. If you book your revenue tickets before Feb. 2007 the record will still show you as platinum. EUA won't process, but I am pretty certain BF upgrades will be processed with you as a platinum member.
shhhh. but EAU will acutally be processed.
Old Jul 29, 06, 9:53 pm

Programs: NW Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
Interesting.

After being an NWA elite for so many years, I only expect to have a measly 6k EQM for 2006. Let's see what happens in Feb. 2007.

Gold or silver or base member really don't make much difference to me except that Gold would have increased availability for saver awards which might help me to use 250k miles in the account.
What's better than elite status, though, is that you're spending so much less time in damn airports and airplanes! Dig it!
Old Jul 29, 06, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
A decade ago I was given a one-year reprieve at silver after logging minimal miles as a gold (before platinum).

More recently, it took two years (2004, 2005) for my UA status to fully expire. Sounds like nowadays with their 3P status it might take even longer to "descend from heaven". I would hope Northwest would do the same thing.
Old Jul 29, 06, 11:00 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
I would be interested to know how many 2006 Plats will drop status for 2007 compared to other years. I think it will be a larger percentage than normal, but doubt NWA will do anything special for those Plats who have remained loyal (or held hub hostage)

As it stands, I'll drop to Silver next year and do not expect to be offered Gold based upon past Plat status. Nor would I want it - that would just signal to me that is a cheapened token and not really of value.
Old Jul 30, 06, 2:02 am

I was curious and talked to an Elite agent on the phone.
He said, anyone of us would be completely dropped ( he
apologized for that ) and be out of the system.
No Elite miles, no status. Lower miles, lower status.
Below minimum, no dice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: