Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

1st experience with world business class

Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Trying to use DL SkyMiles for a trip to Europe next spring, I was given a NW intinerary for LEX-DTW-CDG-LIS and a return LHR-AMS-DTW-LEX. Outbound, I connect in CDG to Air France and the LHR-AMS leg is on KLM. This is my first experience using NW for international travel and I would appreciate comments on the following:
1. How does NW World Business Class compare to other airlines--specifically DL? It appears both transatlantic legs will involve the "New" WBC.
2. How efficient is the transfer at CDG from NW to AF?
3. How is KLM and are there any problems making the connection to NW in AMS.
Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL GM
1. The new seats are great compared to Delta's seats
2. Don't know
3. Easy, just go to the transfer desk and get in the WBC line and pick up your onward BP's, took a couple of minutes both times I've had to do it.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
My last WBC flight on NW (last week) was awful. Leaving aside the seats for now, they still booted me (third time in a row) out of 1A and (third time in a row) would not tell me why.

The purser hopped around the cabin taking dinner orders (assuming it was by status or fare basis) and I was dead last, even though I was Elite+ on a full-fare WBC ticket. Did I want the salmon or the salmon? Neither, thanks.

Nonetheless, the dinner service lasted until (I am not making this up) FOUR HOURS after takeoff. FOUR HOURS before they handed out the water bottles and dimmed the cabin lights.

Given that our MSP-AMS flight had a good tailwind, this left all of 90 minutes to play the slip-n-slide game before the lights came up and the carts started banging into the seats again in preparation for "breakfast", which consisted of a bagel and some fruit.

I get that NW has to make domestic F a cheap-o product because most of the pax aren't paying for it, but with WBC upgrades virtually impossible to score, just why are they racing to the bottom on a $5000 fare?

To add insult to injury when I caught my BCN flight in AMS, KLM's "Europe Select" was crammed to the gills and I wound up in the middle seat between two furious Spanish businessmen who had never flown KL before - they were used to IB - and could not believe they had paid 800EUR for coach seats and a bowl of cereal.

So for my flights next week to SAN I booked on DL. It's only one connection instead of two. I'm familiar with the narrow C seats on the 767, but I think they still beat the Tilt-A-Gurneys® on NW's 330.

WRT transferring at CDG, I'd encourage you to search in the AF and FB forums. What's written on the subject could fill a book.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:29 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA - LAX (Home) New York, NY - EWR (Business)
Programs: CO OnePass
Originally Posted by mhbaker
Trying to use DL SkyMiles for a trip to Europe next spring, I was given a NW intinerary for LEX-DTW-CDG-LIS and a return LHR-AMS-DTW-LEX. Outbound, I connect in CDG to Air France and the LHR-AMS leg is on KLM. This is my first experience using NW for international travel and I would appreciate comments on the following:
1. How does NW World Business Class compare to other airlines--specifically DL? It appears both transatlantic legs will involve the "New" WBC.
Thanks
Did you think of using CO? There BusinessFirst product is better then WBC in my opinion. You could've used Delta miles for CO too.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:51 pm

My BOS-AMS WBC on a A330 was really good. The seat gets a solid B imo.

WBC compared to:
AA - WBC is much better
DL - WBC is better, not world's better
AZ - Toss up, WBC a little better, but not food.

Last edited by Pointeater; Jul 2, 2006 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:03 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by jaxwhitey
...3. Easy, just go to the transfer desk and get in the WBC line and pick up your onward BP's, took a couple of minutes both times I've had to do it.
I can't believe this whole concept of transfer desk stuff still exists. What is its purpose? I connected NW all the way in AMS recently had all boarding passes at first leg. Later, I fly TG and connect TG and had to stand in line for 30 minutes just to get another BP. It is so totally silly.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:06 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by ciffy
Did you think of using CO? There BusinessFirst product is better then WBC in my opinion. You could've used Delta miles for CO too.
Inflight, the seat and IFE is hands down better than CO. New WBC that is. I fell in love with the seats and had zero issue with the 'angle flat' bit. The entertainment, while maybe mediocre compared to some other new systems used by others, blows away CO. (I assume the 777's are just like the others).
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:53 pm

Seat = It's a SLIDE

Agree with alanw:

"Given that our MSP-AMS flight had a good tailwind, this left all of 90 minutes to play the slip-n-slide game before the lights came up and the carts started banging into the seats again in preparation for "breakfast", which consisted of a bagel and some fruit.

So for my flights next week to SAN I booked on DL. It's only one connection instead of two. I'm familiar with the narrow C seats on the 767, but I think they still beat the Tilt-A-Gurneys® on NW's 330."

I hate these seats in the All-New-WBC
When I fall asleep, I dream that I'm sliding down into the ocean below !
Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by carpboy
I can't believe this whole concept of transfer desk stuff still exists. What is its purpose?
Centralizing the issuing of BP's for segments that start >24 hours after the trip starts? Maybe? Dunno. I've definitely been on flights where I couldn't get all my BP's at the beginning for that reason.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ciffy
That was my first choice since CO flies non-stop EWR-LIS, but there were no SkySaver (DL's 90,000 mi award level) available. In fact, there was no availability on anyone but NWA. It's odd, but in the last year there seems to be very little availability of SkySaver awards on DL and most folks I know end up getting seats on one of the SkyTeam partners like NW. Where are the NW fliers getting their seats?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
My only concern would be the cx at CDG. I've made a few, missed a few, but generally unless you have several hours, they can be tight.
tom
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:02 am

At CDG, you are arriving at terminal 2E. Since you connect international - Schengen you have to clear immigration and customs (with your hand luggage only). Then you have to go landside to 2D where the flights to LIS depart from. See the CDG FAQ thread in the Flying Blue forum.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:49 am

Where are the NW fliers getting their seats?
Presumably on NW, or to other destinations. Airlines set aside a subset of their award inventory for their partners, and it's usually less than the award inventory set aside for the airline's own members.

For example, last month I was on a CZ flight from PEK-HKG in C. I was flying on a WorldPerks award along with 4 of my friends. Only me and one of my friends could get seats in C; that was the extent of the availability that NW had access to. However, we were the only 2 people in C for that flight, leaving 6 other seats open. That tells me that NW likely has access to only 2 C seats on each CZ flight. For comparison, I believe CZ gives its own members access to all of the C seats.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Thanks
1. There are many threads on WBC -- opinion is mixed. Some (including myself) really like the seats, others don't. More legroom on NW than CO, and wider seats on NW than DL. Seat and entertainment is superior on NW. Food is superior on CO. Service is superior on CO and DL. I just flew WBC to/from Tokyo and had excellent flights -- the only bad part was obnoxious fellow passengers (loud kid next to me outbound, and some man with two small dogs on the return a few rows away).

2. CDG is a nightmare for connections. Hopefully you can get all of your boarding passes when you check-in.

3. KLM intra-Europe business class (or Europe Select) is a complete joke. It really is a coach seat but you get a slightly larger meal and a newspaper. I would never pay for Europe Select. Connection in AMS is a breeze -- although lines passing through passport control can get very long.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Centralizing the issuing of BP's for segments that start >24 hours after the trip starts? Maybe? Dunno. I've definitely been on flights where I couldn't get all my BP's at the beginning for that reason.
Also flying "non-compatible" airlines can be a reason. Fly e.g. EasyJet Luton-Amsterdam and then connect to NW with handluggage only, and you will be glad these desks exist (and you don't have to leave the sterile area). Or even fly CY from LCA and then connect to NW in Amsterdam. While your bags will be checked through you won't get your boarding-passes for the onward trip until you get to Amsterdam.

Greetings - Dirk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.