Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

How might CHAOS effect travel after August 25 at 9:01 pm CDT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How might CHAOS effect travel after August 25 at 9:01 pm CDT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Do flight attendants actually expect to win any brownie points with the public with this website's arrogant display?

I hope any FA's who walk off planes or refuse to work are summarily fired. Let them buy their own tickets to get home!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
For those who want to bypass the intro...

http://www.nwaafa.org/default.asp

Steve B.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by sbagdon
For those who want to bypass the intro...

http://www.nwaafa.org/default.asp

Steve B.
Don't bypass the intro -- it really helps to rub it in!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Do flight attendants actually expect to win any brownie points with the public with this website's arrogant display?

I hope any FA's who walk off planes or refuse to work are summarily fired. Let them buy their own tickets to get home!
I don't think the flight attendants care what you think. That's the union's website, and the message is aimed directly at management and the membership. Why would they want brownie points from you?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
There's a 95% chance I'll be flying next Tuesday for a funeral. Why do I think that if such an FA action took place, the only bad-will to be generated by 99% of the pax will be towards the FAs? Not a good way to generate good-will from the customers.

Steve B.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphy
I don't think the flight attendants care what you think. That's the union's website, and the message is aimed directly at management and the membership. Why would they want brownie points from you?
Because it's the public that buys tickets & keeps them employed. Because it's the public that they have to work with (although from the attitude of some FA's, you'd think we're more of a bother than anything else).

If the website weren't intended for public consumption, access would be password protected. It's a very public in-your-face message to all concerned.

Here's another little suggestion: If an FA announces a CHAOS strike, tie him/her to his/her jumpseat. Or chase him/her out of the secured area; make 'em feel like they're escaping one step ahead of getting lynched. Fight back!

Any FA who deliberately delays a flight for 15 minutes should be wishing he/she hadn't done that by the time the plane lands.

I can't wait to be done listening to all this whining!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I think this is all talk. NW is in BK they have very little room. If Chaos were to happen I see NW just closing the doors. Sure it would not be as bad a full strike, but they do not have the money to rebook poeple ande can not handle the bad press. I feel sorry for the FA's, no one wants a pay cut, but I do not see the other airlines trying to hire them, so they are between a rock and a hard place.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyintn
I think this is all talk. NW is in BK they have very little room. If Chaos were to happen I see NW just closing the doors. Sure it would not be as bad a full strike, but they do not have the money to rebook poeple ande can not handle the bad press. I feel sorry for the FA's, no one wants a pay cut, but I do not see the other airlines trying to hire them, so they are between a rock and a hard place.
My understanding is that NW has kept tabs on last summer's trainees, approx. 500 management have been trained to serve as standby FA's, and once it's looks like like NW would prevail, a significant percentage would cross the picket line.

If the FA's strike & NW responds with a lockout, furloughed FA's would also be free to cross the picket line on NW's terms.

Unless the pilots stage a sympathetic suicide strike, NW would weather it.

I just wish they'd focus on negotiation in "good faith" (who was whining about that recently?) and not put up **** like that web site.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:42 pm

If the message is aimed 'directly at management and the membership' and not the public, why post a link to the website here - are we not the public? This is simply meant to scare.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it even legal for FA's to be within the sterile, secured area of an airport if their intent is to disrupt operations?

If this is all pre-planned & triggered by the weekly CHAOS password, they should be arrested.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by plagioia
If the message is aimed 'directly at management and the membership' and not the public, why post a link to the website here - are we not the public? This is simply meant to scare.
You'd have to ask the person that posted it. I assume NWAFA was trying to be helpful and keep us in the loop, but that's just my guess. I didn't post it, and I'm not a FA (or any other airline employee). I agree that the site is meant to scare. The AFA is in a weak position - if they can frighten management, I'm sure they will.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:53 pm

Because it's the public that buys tickets & keeps them employed. Because it's the public that they have to work with (although from the attitude of some FA's, you'd think we're more of a bother than anything else).
So what? They're negotiating with management. If you're worried about the fallout, book with another airline.
If the website weren't intended for public consumption, access would be password protected. It's a very public in-your-face message to all concerned.
I agree it's a message to all concerned - meaning the membership and the management. Why would they password protect it? They want word to get out, to put pressure on management.
Here's another little suggestion: If an FA announces a CHAOS strike, tie him/her to his/her jumpseat. Or chase him/her out of the secured area; make 'em feel like they're escaping one step ahead of getting lynched. Fight back!

Any FA who deliberately delays a flight for 15 minutes should be wishing he/she hadn't done that by the time the plane lands.
That's a great plan. Go ahead, and we can chip in to post bail for you afterwards. I'm not sure why you take other people's salary negotiations so personally, but all this stress can't be healthy.
I can't wait to be done listening to all this whining!
Amen to that.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:14 pm

You'd have to ask the person that posted it. I assume NWAFA was trying to be helpful and keep us in the loop, but that's just my guess. I didn't post it, and I'm not a FA (or any other airline employee). I agree that the site is meant to scare. The AFA is in a weak position - if they can frighten management, I'm sure they will.
Let me be more specific: this website is meant to scare - the public. There was nothing 'helpful' about posting it and it certainly isn't going to scare management. In a situation like this, both sides are using every weapon they have and it's obvious that AFA thinks that scaring the public will help their cause.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
MikeMpls, I don't really read these threads, because I can't stand the bickering, but I read the last few posts, and I really have to give you a ^!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a great plan. Go ahead, and we can chip in to post bail for you afterwards. I'm not sure why you take other people's salary negotiations so personally, but all this stress can't be healthy.
They can conduct their salary negotiations professionally -- at the bargaining table.

This is a threat to disrupt Joe SixPack's travel plans, possibly leaving him stranded somewhere. Sometimes Joe has one too many & gets bent out shape. If CHAOS materializes, I really hope that the waylaid travelling public vocalizes its displeasure directly at those practicing it.

If you're worried about the fallout, book with another airline.
All of my near-term bookings are on that other bankrupt airline. I need NW to be operational in case ASA's pilots strike or in case I get rebooked due to irregular ops which seems to happen about 50% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.