Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Is A-X-Y-B to A-X-B considered a change of routing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Here is the deal:

On May 29, 06 I was returning from SLC to TPA. When I purchased the ticket (K fare), the only 2 available flights at that fare were the 6am SLC-MSP-TPA or the 8am SLC-MSP-MEM-TPA. I didn't want to get up at 4am, so I chose the later option.

Now, I do realize that since the $25 fee for 'confirmed standby' was introduced, you can no longer fly via a different hub (I have done that several years ago, changing from SFO-DTW-ATL to stand-by SFO-MEM-ATL). I was, however, under the impression that you can 'cut out' extra stops from your routing even when doing standby.

When I checked in online at 5am I did notice that the 1-connection SLC-MSP-TPA flights were only showing with the '$25 confirmed' option, and not with the free stand-by. An earlier SLC-MSP-MEM-TPA combo was showing as avail. with the 'free standby'.

Hence: the NW computer does not allow you to do 'free standby' on shortened routings. I guess they want to make sure us Elites get all our EQMs!

I asked the NW agent at the SLC check-in counter to put me on the stand-by list for the non-stop MSP-TPA. He happily obliged.

I landed in MSP and went over to the gate for the TPA flight, where the stone-faced elderly agent (Marlyn) was working the flight. Oh boy! First of all, she claimed that I can't stand-by because my fare 'requires me to go through MEM' (not true, fare allowed a 1-connection itin, K class was simply unavail). Then she said I could pay "$50 or $100", but she had to call to check on that. She talked to somebody for 10min (Broom closet at MSP? MN lottery numbers by phone? Family friend?) and told me that "Northwest no longer does free stand-by. You will have to pay the difference to the current Y fare plus the $100 change fee". Huh?

At that point I realized that dealing with the mean old lady was pointless. I went around looking for a service center or 'red coat' - nice try, BotB, but this ain't IAH. I had to go outside security to the ticket counters. Huge line at the 3 open FC/Elite check-in desks! I eventually went to the economy check-in line, where the agents were unwilling to do anything different from 'what the computer says'. As they used to say at another airline, "simply good business"!

I also tried calling the 'Silver Elite' line, where I got the answer that I was changing the routing and would need to pay $25.

At that point I finally gave up and spent the extra 3 hours I had at the Mall of America

So, can any of you NW insiders tell me: Is skipping a connection (SLC-MSP-MEM-TPA --> SLC-MSP-TPA) considered a change of routing? And even so, why isn't "free standby" allowed for that? (you can still get on your original flights if you miss the shortened routing flights!!!)
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:41 pm

Technically, and from the agent's point of view, it is a change of routing. However, from a purely fare-basis point of view, it isn't, since I doubt the k-fare you bought required one to fly the MSP-MEM connection instead of going MSP-TPA nonstop.

However, many an agent these days don't realize this and/or don't want to look into your situation specifically, especially if they're overworked/understaffed. I've been fairly lucky going to the gate of whatever flight I wanted to standby on and asking nicely, explaining that my "travel agent" booked this obscure routing and I'd like to try to be put on the standby list for the direct flight. Most of the time it has worked, but I don't do this very often, either. I like my EQMs.

I think ever since the $25 confirmed standby went into effect, free same-day standbys have been harder and harder to get processed unless they're the exact same routing.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Changing Routings is more restricted

I had the same problem trying to change my routing on a MCO/MEM/LAX routing. The OLCI computer only allows for the same routing as ticketed.

If you call the Elite line csr they require $100. on most restricted non-refundable ticckets to change the flights (and/or routings)

The GA's can let you standby without charging a change fee, but they sometimes won't take the time required to do it.

RC

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Technically, and from the agent's point of view, it is a change of routing. However, from a purely fare-basis point of view, it isn't, since I doubt the k-fare you bought required one to fly the MSP-MEM connection instead of going MSP-TPA nonstop.

However, many an agent these days don't realize this and/or don't want to look into your situation specifically, especially if they're overworked/understaffed. I've been fairly lucky going to the gate of whatever flight I wanted to standby on and asking nicely, explaining that my "travel agent" booked this obscure routing and I'd like to try to be put on the standby list for the direct flight. Most of the time it has worked, but I don't do this very often, either. I like my EQMs.

I think ever since the $25 confirmed standby went into effect, free same-day standbys have been harder and harder to get processed unless they're the exact same routing.

Last edited by Radiocycle; Jun 18, 2006 at 7:20 pm Reason: corrected typo
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus
Here is the deal:

I landed in MSP and went over to the gate for the TPA flight, where the stone-faced elderly agent (Marlyn) was working the flight. Oh boy! First of all, she claimed that I can't stand-by because my fare 'requires me to go through MEM' (not true, fare allowed a 1-connection itin, K class was simply unavail). Then she said I could pay "$50 or $100", but she had to call to check on that. She talked to somebody for 10min (Broom closet at MSP? MN lottery numbers by phone? Family friend?) and told me that "Northwest no longer does free stand-by. You will have to pay the difference to the current Y fare plus the $100 change fee". Huh?
I think I might have had "Marlyn" a couple weeks ago. I asked a MSP agent if I could get a companion upgrade for a colleague of mine for a MSP-SJC flight. She claimed he had purchased a "bulk fare" and was ineligible for a companion upgrade. His ticket was purchased on nwa.com (I believe it was an 'L' fare) and I don't know of any fare class restrictions for companion upgrades. I argued with her for a bit, but decided to let it go because the flight was pretty full and I figured there wouldn't be any FC seats left. As it turned out, seat 1A ended up going empty. I was pretty pissed off (still am). Unfortunately, I didn't get the GA's name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.