FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   More Domestic DC10's - MSP-LAX-MSP 3/17 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/537797-more-domestic-dc10s-msp-lax-msp-3-17-a.html)

geoffco Mar 17, 2006 2:08 am

More Domestic DC10's - MSP-LAX-MSP 3/17

NW319, 9:12am MSP-LAX looks like it will go out as a DC10-30 today. Turns back to MSP as NW312 at 12:15pm. A nice St. Patty's day suprise for some passengers today.

Radiocycle Mar 17, 2006 2:36 am

Are the DC10's going to be used on major domestic routes (to cover B757 Cancelation)

It has been dsiscussed that there are crew shortages and limited reserve employees for the month of March.

Are popular domestic long haul routes being upgaged into one DC10-30 flight to transport more pax on 1 a/c?

Has any other dometic flights in March been identified as having been upgaged to a DC10-40?

RC

Originally Posted by geoffco
NW319, 9:12am MSP-LAX looks like it will go out as a DC10-30 today. Turns back to MSP as NW312 at 12:15pm. A nice St. Patty's day suprise for some passengers today.

sany2 Mar 17, 2006 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
It has been dsiscussed that there are crew shortages and limited reserve employees for the month of March.

Are popular domestic long haul routes being upgaged into one DC10-30 flight to transport more pax on 1 a/c?

Has any other dometic flights in March been identified as having been upgaged to a DC10-40?

RC

NWA doesn't fly any DC-10-40's anymore.

jiburi Mar 17, 2006 6:59 am

SEA-MSP NW#158 DC10 today 3/17

Also seeing a DC10 run
3/17 NW 158 SEA-MSP
3/18 NW 171 MSP-SEA
3/18 NW 576 SEA-MSP

I've only checked two dates...... Why are they doing these D10 runs?

Jiburi

sbagdon Mar 17, 2006 7:24 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
Also seeing a DC10 run
5/17 NW 158 SEA-MSP
5/18 NW 171 MSP-SEA
5/18 NW 576 SEA-MSP

I've only checked two dates...... Why are they doing these D10 runs?

Jiburi

I just checked, and those appear to be coming up 753s.

If they were doing an overnight turnaround on a DC-10, I'd seriously consider an MR. But geez... SEA is so darned expensive. Do not like that the 12:05am SEA->??? is Q fare...

Steve B.

NWA_Flyer1 Mar 17, 2006 8:09 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon

If they were doing an overnight turnaround on a DC-10, I'd seriously consider an MR. But geez... SEA is so darned expensive. Do not like that the 12:05am SEA->??? is Q fare...

Steve B.

DC-10 on Sunday 3/19 between MSP and LAX #319 9:12 departure. #312 on the return LAX to MSP 12:15 departure.

Some lucky folks in the next few days :D

nwdc10 Mar 17, 2006 8:17 am

I agree with the prior comments, some very lucky people to be able to ride a DC-10 domestically again.

Seems funny to me that for a plane that a lot of posters rag on across the pond gets so much excitement going for domestic runs!!! :p

I know that everyone posting in this thread so far seems to be jonesed that it's a 10. Wish I were LAX bound in the next couple of days!

jtbh6b1 Mar 17, 2006 8:21 am

Originally Posted by geoffco

Not really lucky... those planes are extremely old, have the worst accident record, and have been maintained by disgruntled and underpaid mechanics for many years. I'd book another airline in a big hurry.

dave_261 Mar 17, 2006 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jtbh6b1
Not really lucky... those planes are extremely old, have the worst accident record, and have been maintained by disgruntled and underpaid mechanics for many years. I'd book another airline in a big hurry.

Thank you for your guidance. FWIW, NW has never had an accident with the DC-10, and the last domestic accident with the DC-10 was 17 years ago. And by accident rate alone, the DC-10 fares better than the 747.

In any case, I did check the loads and unfortunately it shows P4F2 on the outbound, and P0F0 on the return, so not too many more will luck into upgrades. But those who are up front will get a nice treat, and a really nice surprise if they didn't know ahead of time.

nwdc10 Mar 17, 2006 8:36 am

Another highly un-educated (ignorant) response by someone with only 4 posts? Hum, do you think it could be a disgruntled striking employee?

I will not even try to respond to the incorrect quotes in the above post.

NWA_Flyer1 Mar 17, 2006 8:38 am

Please..... :rolleyes:

If you have nothing productive to add just say nothing. NW has an incredible safety record, while flying and maintaining one of the oldest fleets around. There are no safety concerns with the DC-10.

mot29 Mar 17, 2006 9:01 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon

Steve B.

Priceline -- Doubletree at the airport for $45/night. Not cheap, but not too bad. And I even got two cookies when I checked in.
tom

dave_261 Mar 17, 2006 9:12 am

Not a mileage run, but if you're in the NORTH DTW area, you can fly the DC-10 flights FNT-MSP-LAX with the immediate LAX-MSP-FNT return for $661, and the outbound prices into 1st class.

DTW-MSP-LAX and return is $676, in coach.

Better than $1,200 direct from MSP-LAX.

EDITED TO ADD: HMM... now the Flint-LAX fare has jumped to $1,471... either I'm not so bright today, or the fare just changed. I think the return fare class went from B to Y in the past few minutes, but that shouldn't move the fare $800.

AND... DTW-MSP-LAX is now over $1,400, as the return fare class went from B to Y.

MikeMpls Mar 17, 2006 11:03 am

Originally Posted by dave_261
Thank you for your guidance. FWIW, NW has never had an accident with the DC-10, and the last domestic accident with the DC-10 was 17 years ago. And by accident rate alone, the DC-10 fares better than the 747.

Oops, my mistake -- I misremembered a UA accident at Sioux Falls as NW.

Wingtipflyer1 Mar 17, 2006 11:08 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
That's not true. About 10-15 years ago, compressor fan in the rear engine of a NW DC-10 disintegrated over Iowa & severed the hydraulic controls for the rudder. The crew managed to steer the aircraft to Sioux Falls using differential thrust on the remaining two engines and almost achieved a successfully landing. The aircraft broke into three parts, and there were quite a few casualties.

I don't have any reservations about the safety of NW aircraft, but let's not overstate the unfortunate record.

I thought it was UA not NW???