Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

More Domestic DC10's - MSP-LAX-MSP 3/17

More Domestic DC10's - MSP-LAX-MSP 3/17

Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
That's not true. About 10-15 years ago, compressor fan in the rear engine of a NW DC-10 disintegrated over Iowa & severed the hydraulic controls for the rudder. The crew managed to steer the aircraft to Sioux Falls using differential thrust on the remaining two engines and almost achieved a successfully landing. The aircraft broke into three parts, and there were quite a few casualties.

I don't have any reservations about the safety of NW aircraft, but let's not overstate the unfortunate record.
Are you talking about the United Airlines accident?

NTSB Identification: DCA89MA063 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 39915.
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of UNITED AIRLINES
Accident occurred Wednesday, July 19, 1989 in SIOUX CITY, IA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 10/8/1992
Aircraft: MCDONNELL DOUGLAS DC-10-10, registration: N1819U
Injuries: 111 Fatal, 47 Serious, 125 Minor, 13 Uninjured.

The Safety Board's full report on this investigation is provided as Aviation Accident Report number AAR-90/06. To obtain a copy of this report, or to view the executive summary online, please see the Web site at http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/publictn.htm

UNITED AIRLINE FLT 232 WAS CRUISING AT FL 370, WHEN THERE WAS A CATASTROPHIC FAILURE OF THE # 2 (TAIL MOUNTED) ENG. THIS WAS DUE TO SEPN, FRAGMENTATION & FORCEFUL DISCHARGE OF THE STAGE 1 FAN ROTOR ASSEMBLY PARTS FM THE #2 ENG (UNCONTAINED FAILURE), WHICH LED TO LOSS OF THE 3 HYD SYSTEMS THAT POWERED THE FLT CTLS. THE FLIGHTCREW EXPERIENCED SEVERE DIFFICULTIES CTLG THE ACFT, WHICH SUBSEQUENTLY CRASHED DRG AN EMERG LNDG AT SIOUX CITY. AN INV REVEALED EVIDENCE CONCERNING LIMITATIONS IN INSPN & QUALITY CTL PROC USED DRG ENG OVERHAUL, WHICH RESULTED IN A FAILURE TO DETECT A FATIGUE CRACK, ORIGINATING FM A PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED METALLURGICAL DEFECT IN A CRITICAL AREA OF THE STATE 1 FAN DISK. (SEE: NTSB/AAR-90/06)
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
I thought it was UA not NW???
Yup, I found that when I went looking for the accident report.

DC-10 & NW are just a handy mental association, I guess.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:20 am

It was United not NWA

The Crash of United Flight 232 by Capt. Al Haynes

Here is the report

some part

I think everyone probably remembers that on July 19, 1989, United Airlines flight 232 departed Denver at about 2:09 PM, climbed uneventfully to a cruise altitude of 37,000', and at approximately 3:16, the flight notified ATC center that the #2 engine had failed. The aircraft was only marginally stable at that point, and this is the rest of the story.

I love google.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:24 am

www.airsafe.com

A very thorough look at aviation "incidents", by airline, aircraft, and more.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jtbh6b1
Not really lucky... those planes are extremely old, have the worst accident record, and have been maintained by disgruntled and underpaid mechanics for many years. I'd book another airline in a big hurry.
That's ridiculous. Yeah, that plane is old but the fleet is still reliable. I love generalized overreactions.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
It has been dsiscussed that there are crew shortages and limited reserve employees for the month of March.

Are popular domestic long haul routes being upgaged into one DC10-30 flight to transport more pax on 1 a/c?

RC
That makes sense. I do recall the warnings of possible upcoming crew shortages. The 10 was sent to LAS on Tuesday, I was told by an agent, to get more pax to/from MSP after the snow storm. Flights were already oversold and the cancellations just made things worse.

I can imagine that there are spare 10's and crews available. Possibly an oversold 752's to somewhere (Florida) could be upgraded to a 753 and the 753 gets upgraded to a DC10?
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by sbagdon
I just checked, and those appear to be coming up 753s.

If they were doing an overnight turnaround on a DC-10, I'd seriously consider an MR. But geez... SEA is so darned expensive. Do not like that the 12:05am SEA->??? is Q fare...

Steve B.
Oops. Sorry. I meant 3/17 and 3/18. I'll correct my posting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.