Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW Union/Mgmt Labor Master Thread (merged topics)

NW Union/Mgmt Labor Master Thread (merged topics)

Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
And delays actually were reduced once the mechanics "strike" officially started.
yeah and as someone that was inconvienced about ten times. I was starting to call them "Jerkages"
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by rwill11
yeah and as someone that was inconvienced about ten times. I was starting to call them "Jerkages"
hahaha -- thanks for giving me a laugh during a crappy work day.

Does anyone know how the PFAA (Flight Attendants) negotiations are going and how that is impacting the strategy of NWA and/or ALPA if at all?

Thanks,
Ben
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
hahaha -- thanks for giving me a laugh during a crappy work day.

Does anyone know how the PFAA (Flight Attendants) negotiations are going and how that is impacting the strategy of NWA and/or ALPA if at all?

Thanks,
Ben
I saw something this morning cross the bloomberg wire ie fa's not going to extend deadline. did a search on google and couldnt find any thing. Lastest is they have met nws pay cuts. (but that their numbers) and wont budge on the outsourcing to foreign fa's. I hope the best for them they have always been nice to me. Update: Judge ruled this afternoon for NW to keep paying FA's at the rate negotiated last NOV. in hopes to avert a strike and further negotiating. looks like its getting down to the wire. On a side note. Outsourcing is one thing, but making the NW FA's train them is pretty ruthless

Last edited by rwill11; Feb 9, 2006 at 1:36 pm
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I saw something this morning cross the bloomberg wire ie fa's not going to extend deadline. did a search on google and couldnt find any thing. Lastest is they have met nws pay cuts. (but that their numbers) and wont budge on the outsourcing to foreign fa's. I hope the best for them they have always been nice to me.
Bloomberg story is on DetroitNews.com here.

In sum: FAs asked the judge to deny the carrier's bid to extend a temporary bargaining agreement past its Monday deadline. NWA will make that request today.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:37 pm
Suspended

you type faster than me

Bloomberg story is on DetroitNews.com here.

In sum: FAs asked the judge to deny the carrier's bid to extend a temporary bargaining agreement past its Monday deadline. NWA will make that request today.
see my update above
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:13 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
I saw something this morning cross the bloomberg wire ie fa's not going to extend deadline. did a search on google and couldnt find any thing. Lastest is they have met nws pay cuts. (but that their numbers) and wont budge on the outsourcing to foreign fa's. I hope the best for them they have always been nice to me. Update: Judge ruled this afternoon for NW to keep paying FA's at the rate negotiated last NOV. in hopes to avert a strike and further negotiating. looks like its getting down to the wire. On a side note. Outsourcing is one thing, but making the NW FA's train them is pretty ruthless
Maybe it's just the lack of chatter on FT and/or my positive experiences with NW FA's attitudes/service lately, but I don't have the gut feeling that the PFAA negotiations/outcome is going to be the crisis that the ALPA negotiations are turning out to be. I really wish them the best insofar as their pay scales go, but on the other hand, I am for the outsourcing to foreign FA's on the foreign routes if it is practicable.

To get back to the topic at hand before I get off on more of a tangent - Given the status of the PFAA negotiations, do you think that NWA will be facing a strike by the FA's as well? What's the potential for it? What's the potential that the PFAA coordinates their own "self-help" action alongside that of ALPA for greater effectiveness? I get the sense that any real strike talk is a bit further off for the PFAA, but the opportunity to put the screws to NW is certainly there.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
Maybe it's just the lack of chatter on FT and/or my positive experiences with NW FA's attitudes/service lately, but I don't have the gut feeling that the PFAA negotiations/outcome is going to be the crisis that the ALPA negotiations are turning out to be. I really wish them the best insofar as their pay scales go, but on the other hand, I am for the outsourcing to foreign FA's on the foreign routes if it is practicable.

To get back to the topic at hand before I get off on more of a tangent - Given the status of the PFAA negotiations, do you think that NWA will be facing a strike by the FA's as well? What's the potential for it? What's the potential that the PFAA coordinates their own "self-help" action alongside that of ALPA for greater effectiveness? I get the sense that any real strike talk is a bit further off for the PFAA, but the opportunity to put the screws to NW is certainly there. Well they certainly wont cross a pilots picket line. It seems they are willing to settle, but it sure seems to me that management Is holding to "we need these cuts or we will have to liquidate" If they keep this posture its not all that their going to be holding

peace,
~Ben~
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:28 pm

I don't think the PFAA is quite ready or angry enough. If they do something it will be something like the C.H.A.O.S action that was threatened at US and UA.

CHAOS stands for Creating Havoc Across Our System and entails flight crews calling off sick at times that will cause the most disruption. Sorta like the Summer of Hell at UA.

Just an observers opinion.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Judge extends tentative contract between NWA and flight attendants
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:40 pm
Suspended

It sure looks like the Judge did them a favor. They are close, and it would be a shame to do something stupid and risk alot of FA's getting fired before a resolution. OTOH the Pilots are much farther apart from management, but have way more bargaining power. So they are the bigger fish to fry. If the pilots stand their ground and then reach an agreement. Management may accept the FA's deal just to get the thing over and done with. However, which ever side of the argument you're on. No-one has heard any news or plans for what NW will become. Just a company controlled by lawers that know nothing except we have to cut cut cut. No dream, no plan, nothing. Whats a pizza called when it has no cheese and no sauce? Its certainly not pizza.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:29 pm

It sure looks like the Judge did them a favor. They are close, and it would be a shame to do something stupid and risk alot of FA's getting fired before a resolution. OTOH the Pilots are much farther apart from management, but have way more bargaining power. So they are the bigger fish to fry. If the pilots stand their ground and then reach an agreement. Management may accept the FA's deal just to get the thing over and done with. However, which ever side of the argument you're on. No-one has heard any news or plans for what NW will become. Just a company controlled by lawers that know nothing except we have to cut cut cut. No dream, no plan, nothing. Whats a pizza called when it has no cheese and no sauce? Its certainly not pizza.
Just because you've not heard any plans doesn't mean there are none. And actually, I love a great grilled pizza with veggies and a little olive oil and salt and pepper (and no sauce or cheeze) - yep, I still call it pizza. Take a pill, dude.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by plagioia
Just because you've not heard any plans doesn't mean there are none. And actually, I love a great grilled pizza with veggies and a little olive oil and salt and pepper (and no sauce or cheeze) - yep, I still call it pizza. Take a pill, dude.
Whats your pizza called when it doesnt have the veggies evoo and s&p? get used to it and take a midol, dude BTW since you know so much ....What's the plan?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
I think the judge must make some kind of ruling on the 16th (unless both parties) agree to an extension. If the judge throws out the pilots contract. The pilots can go on strike then and there. Since they no longer have a contract and are not slaves. The union has already earmarked 10 million dollars for this, to help the pilots. I wouldnt be surprised if they took a strike vote before the 16th and walked on a bad ruling. NW says this would be illegal, the pilots say fly your own friggen planes. Nw wants to IMPOSE a contract. That wont FLY. so I wouldnt be surprised if it starts immediately.and lasts 3 days
There are hundreds of thousands of customers who will lose their money or who will not be able to travel to something important to them or at the least will have to take a less convenient flight and thousands of gate agents and ground crew and FA and office personnel who will be left without jobs while the pilots "stand up for their rights." And if some of the posts are correct it will spell the end of Northwest Airlines. This is a very complicated issue from a moral and a financial standpoint.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Allanf
This is a very complicated issue from a moral and a financial standpoint.
Not to mention "emotional."
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:56 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Not to mention "emotional."
Although it has not been mentioned, you might want to throw in "political" in the list of things.

Post 9-11 the federal govt. has spent billions of dollars keeping airlines afloat. In fact the gov't gave the airlines MORE than their combined market caps in the months after 9-11 just so the US economy and the airline/travel industry would not take an even bigger hit.

I don't know how much NW was loaned/given from the Gov't, but I am sure they recieved federal $. I'm not saying that the Fed's would step in to prevent a liquidation, but it is a possibility. There are several other carriers operating in this country but lots of factors, most importantly the effect air transportation has on the US economy and the cities that NW serves that would loose service or only have limited service would all play a part if the airline moves toward liquidation.

What if anything the Fed Govt would do through and/or outside the BK court is anyones guess, but as stated in previous posts it is a very complex issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.