Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Detroit Free Press Atricle - Explaining current strike situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite

I know many of us have been watching things develop with the potential strike. I came across a fairly unbiased (IMHO) article this morning that I thought would help explain things for those aren't already up to speed....

It has the issues that are being fought over in court, potential court rulings and their impact, important NWA dates, and some information about NewCo.

Article at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...602160527/1018

Please do not turn this thread into a flame war, I'm simply passing along a good article explaining the situation. I know some people don't get a chance to peruse the fourms and this will help get them up to speed.

(Mods, feel free to roll this into an existing thread if you feel)
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
Thanks for the link. It is one of the more objective summarizations of what is going on.

It does instill a tad more confidence that NW will survive this threat.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
I think this does a very good job describing the situiation. Although I would not call it totally unbiased, it is from Detroit, a city dependent on NWA for its airtravel, it does provide a very good overview.

Thanks for the link.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
What would happen if NWA goes under? Who do you think would step into Detroit? Someone from the SkyTeam? With the new airport, I can't imagine it would sit empty for long...

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
I think this does a very good job describing the situiation. Although I would not call it totally unbiased, it is from Detroit, a city dependent on NWA for its airtravel, it does provide a very good overview.

Thanks for the link.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Thanks for the link. It does seem a fair summary of what is going to happen in the next few weeks. My fingers are crossed.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:39 am

Nothing new as far as I can see????

We all know the Detroit Free Press is the liberal one in town. Lets see what the folks at the more conservative Detroit News have to say.

Lets remember now, the newspaper had their own strike not to long ago and permanently replaced 1000 union employees. Most who are still on a preferrential hiring list, but most likely will never return to their high paid-high benefits jobs. That strike was a defining moment in labor/management relations in the newspaper industry. Not many Big Newspaper strikes since.

Last edited by mdelaur; Feb 16, 2006 at 11:41 am Reason: correction
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Google news 'NWA'... there are some hilarious stories out there. I like the one about NWA spending $300,000+ on "personal protection" for the execs during the first couple weeks of the strike

Originally Posted by mdelaur

We all know the Detroit Free Press is the liberal one in town. Lets see what the folks at the more conservative Detroit News have to say.

Lets remember now, the newspaper had their own strike not to long ago and permanently replaced 1000 union employees. Most who are still on a preferrential hiring list, but most likely will never return to their high paid-high benefits jobs. That strike was a defining moment in labor/management relations in the newspaper industry. Not many Big Newspaper strikes since.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Bbbbbbbut this does not add to the strike hysteria!

Moderator, close this thread!!!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:03 pm

The union has counter-offered to have its pilots fly smaller jets on a different pay scale, but Northwest contends those pilots would eventually insist on matching wages with other pilots if the airline returned to financial health.
Huh? How is that a problem? If a company is turning a profit why wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't they pass some of it along to employees?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just confused as to this paragraph -- is that really the position of NW or is this a case of a journalist not understanding a legal filing?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I don't quite think it does (unless people start hyping it up, which I don't see happening in this thread).

Personally I hope a strike is averted, by both sides coming to their senses ^ (and I have a feeling they will)

Mods, feel free to lock this down before it comes a runaway thread if you like...

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Bbbbbbbut this does not add to the strike hysteria!

Moderator, close this thread!!!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by kcnwa
I know many of us have been watching things develop with the potential strike. I came across a fairly unbiased (IMHO) article this morning that I thought would help explain things for those aren't already up to speed....

It has the issues that are being fought over in court, potential court rulings and their impact, important NWA dates, and some information about NewCo.

Article at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...602160527/1018
Let me add my name to the growing list of people that have said "Thanks for posting this" and note that the author of the article (Justin Hyde) usually covers the auto industry for the AP from the DCA area --- which may explain why bankrupt auto supplier Delphi is mentioned in the headline -- but not in the article !

Bob H
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeelLaw
Huh? How is that a problem? If a company is turning a profit why wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't they pass some of it along to employees?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just confused as to this paragraph -- is that really the position of NW or is this a case of a journalist not understanding a legal filing?
This has been the position of NW management.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:20 pm

Wow. I wonder if the bankruptcy judge will look at this as a good faith effort if they are already saying that they wouldn't want to pay employees more when/if they return to profitability. It's like the argument is:

"Because we're losing money, you should let us void our legal contracts and pay our employees far less. But if we make money we don't want to pay them any more."

Weird strategy, IMO.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kcnwa
What would happen if NWA goes under? Who do you think would step into Detroit? Someone from the SkyTeam? With the new airport, I can't imagine it would sit empty for long...
Nope why? CO has CLE, AA/UA/SW have CHI, DL have CVG...there's enough hubs in the immediate area
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mdelaur

But remember Gannett on the same day sold the Detroit News and purchased the Detroit Free Press inorder to do away with the JOA (Joint Operating Agreement) so the Freep might be becoming alittle more conservative (dunno haven't read it in years)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.