Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick: How long from train to NWA Check-IN

Old Jan 13, 06, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

My 79 year old mother plans on taking the train to London Gatwick. She will then be taking a NWA flight to MSP. How far will she have to walk once she gets there? I am trying to decide which train to send her on to make her flight---would one arriving 1 hour and 50 minutes before her departure be enough time? At 79, she is not an OJ Simpson....

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 06, 1:33 pm
formerly inlogan

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jkpine4
My 79 year old mother plans on taking the train to London Gatwick. She will then be taking a NWA flight to MSP. How far will she have to walk once she gets there? I am trying to decide which train to send her on to make her flight---would one arriving 1 hour and 50 minutes before her departure be enough time? At 79, she is not an OJ Simpson....

Thanks!
They tell you to arrive 3 hours before the flight before checkin at Gatwick, but I've never seen a need for that entire three hours unless you like duty free shopping in the departure lounge.

Once off the train, it's a quite short walk to the check in area. NWA is just into the south terminal and to the left near the front.

The long walk is from the departure lounge to the satellite terminal that NWA uses. They have moving walkways now, but it's still quite a trek!
Old Jan 13, 06, 2:07 pm

Programs: NW PE
I would think that they the check in people can offer a wheel chair. Makes is much easier
Old Jan 13, 06, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 1MM, SPG Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
OLCI available from LGW

OLCI on nwa.com is also a time-saving option when flying from Gatwick.
Old Jan 13, 06, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>I would think that they the check in people can offer a wheel chair. Makes is much easier

That an EXCELLENT suggestion. On a recent Heathrow transit my mother, who has knee problems that cause pain, but could have walked, requested wheelchair assistance and it made a difficult shlep into 1st class treatment. Not only was there no strain for her, but they were wheeled through doors that others don't get to go through, and past queues where others had to wait. They (she and her husband) were, in effect whisked through a laborious transit in VIP style.

When I was a travel agent we would also order chairs for travellers who might even be mildly confused by where to go--it makes everything stressless--definitely consider requesting a chair (just call the airline in advance).
Old Jan 14, 06, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Why oh why didn't they have this when LGW was my local airport! I think this came in about two months after I moved away
Old Jan 14, 06, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Originally Posted by LUMRS
Unless something has changed since I used OLCI for Gatwick in November of 2005 --- It is totally useless.

I used OLCI in London, which produced a boarding pass which says that you must go to check-in and have your documents verified (and that you CANNOT PROCEED TO SECURITY WITH THE BOARDING PASS). My assumption [wrong] was that this would be just a cursory review of my boarding card and passport. Instead, you have to wait on the same prescreen and check-in line [it was the WBC / Elite Line and not very long - around 10 minutes] -- at which point, when you get to the agent [who was actually quite nice and made sure I had the expedited security and lounge pass since I was travling WBC] they rip up you OLCI boarding pass, and check you in and print out new boarding cards; she even mentioned "we don't use those boarding cards from OLCI..."

So, basically from what I could see... it was a total waste of time having the OLCI boarding card.. no time saving at all, and it served no purpose [that I could see] at all.

---- Michael

Search this Thread
Search Engine: