northwest/kml lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

northwest/kml lounge access

hi
i'm flying ewr-ams-jnb on Northwest/klm
i have a amex plat
does anybody know if i will have access to a lounge in ams?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:04 pm

No, because there are no NW World Clubs in AMS, there are only KLM clubs, and Amex Plat does not give you access to 'affiliated clubs'. If you have a Diner's Club card, there are some lounges you can use in AMS; if it's worth it to you, you can buy a 60-day WC membership for $80 that will get you access to KLM lounges.

From Amex's website
Complimentary access is specifically for the airport club that corresponds to the airline ticket. (Codeshare agreements do not apply.) Affiliated lounge agreements do not apply. Partners and participating locations subject to change. The Platinum Card member must have their Card on their person and present it to the club agent along with an airline ticket valid for travel that day on the corresponding airline that is operating the flight. The access to the club pertains to the aircraft, not the flight number. The Platinum Card member must be traveling, and the name on the ticket must match the name on the Platinum Card. The Platinum Card member must be 21 to enter into the club without a parent or guardian. Card members must adhere to all house rules of the participating partner club. Amenities may vary among the participating airport club locations. Meeting rooms may be reserved for a nominal fee.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:29 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about lounge access in AMS... the KLM lounges are often overcrowded, and there is some extremely comfortable seating available in the public areas including some recliners (there is an area full of reclining chair upstairs, half-way between the two KLM lounges). Also, there are public showers - you just need to bring your own towel.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let's move this to the NW forum.

--richard, moderator
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I wouldn't worry too much about lounge access in AMS....
The bars & snacks are well worth it even if they are a bit crowded.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:11 pm

Might Not Get Into Worldclub Either

BTW, in my experience you also cannot get into a NW Worldclub with an Amex Plat card if the flight is coded on your ticket as KL rather than NW.

Originally Posted by mmy613
hi
i'm flying ewr-ams-jnb on Northwest/klm
i have a amex plat
does anybody know if i will have access to a lounge in ams?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
BTW, in my experience you also cannot get into a NW Worldclub with an Amex Plat card if the flight is coded on your ticket as KL rather than NW.
In my experience- if the flight also has a NW code you can access the lounge IF it is a worldclub. AMS no way JOSE! Note if you are flying WBC or EuropeSelect you get access anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:49 pm

Re: AMS

KLM apparently has three lounges at AMS. The following description is from the klm.com:

- Quiet, comfortable atmosphere;
- Self-service buffet and bar with a wide selection of snacks and drinks;
- Business facilities including: Computers with Internet connection, Internet and power connections for laptops, Fax, phone and photocopy facilities;
- Friendly staff ready to assist you;
- Showers, restrooms and baby-care facilities.

- … and much, much more

Do all (or at least one of) the lounges have showers? What about the computer facilities? I will not be carrying one but will need one with net access.

The 60 day temp membership seems like a decent deal at $85. I will have an 8hr layover, so if the facilities live up to the description above, I am sold!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by lqdnitin

The 60 day temp membership seems like a decent deal at $85. I will have an 8hr layover, so if the facilities live up to the description above, I am sold!
If your 8 hour AMS layover is your main reason for spending $85, save your money. You can put your suitcases into secure storage downstairs, take a shower for 12 Euros at the airport Mercure Hotel, and then take the train into AMS to spend a leisurely few hours. See the sights, have a good meal, and then take the train back to the airport. IMHO, a much better layover and far cheaper deal.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by lqdnitin

KLM apparently has three lounges at AMS
One of the three - the only half-decent one - is in the Schengen area, i.e., past Immigration. While there is nothing stopping a US passport holder from going out through Immigration and back in again it's not very practical as the lines are phenomenal.

- Quiet, comfortable atmosphere;
It's often standing room only.

- Self-service buffet and bar with a wide selection of snacks and drinks;
There is a reasonable selection of snacks in the Schengen lounge. In the other two the choice is between nachos, bits of pre-packed cheese, mini-muffins and pre-packed cookies.

- Business facilities including: Computers with Internet connection, Internet and power connections for laptops, Fax, phone and photocopy facilities;
The Internet connection is not free - and there are plenty of Internet stations dotted around the public part of the terminals.

- Friendly staff ready to assist you
We call them "Lounge Dragons" over on the KLM (sorry, Flying Blue) forum...

- Showers, restrooms and baby-care facilities.
Showers available to holders of KLM (and NW?) PE cards ONLY.

- … and much, much more
Such as?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:06 pm

From my experience, I agree with aviatrix's comments regarding the KLM lounges. In my experience, the KLM lounges are usually so crowded, it's better to be at the gate. The only real advantage the KLM lounges offer is Schweppes Bitter Lemon available for free at the soda dispensers.

If you are going to stay at the airport and want to use a lounge, I suggest trying to get access to the Meinzes (spelling?) lounges. I get access throuh Diners Club. They aren't fancy, but they are not crowded, they're comfortable, and they have free drinks.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
One of the three - the only half-decent one - is in the Schengen area, i.e., past Immigration. While there is nothing stopping a US passport holder from going out through Immigration and back in again it's not very practical as the lines are phenomenal.

I agree, the new Schengen lounge is really nice, if you connect to a flight within the Schengen area, this is the lounge to use.

It's often standing room only.

This depends on the time of the day, can't recall the last time I was actually standing (sometimes the close the smaller lounge for maintenance or something along those lines, then the other one is getting crowded).

There is a reasonable selection of snacks in the Schengen lounge. In the other two the choice is between nachos, bits of pre-packed cheese, mini-muffins and pre-packed cookies.

very true, there are rumors that the new catering concept will also come into the lounges at the international part of AMS.

The Internet connection is not free - and there are plenty of Internet stations dotted around the public part of the terminals.

Internet connection is free for FB and NW Plat.

We call them "Lounge Dragons" over on the KLM (sorry, Flying Blue) forum...

Or lounge lizards , either or both applies

Showers available to holders of KLM (and NW?) PE cards ONLY.

True and annoying, NW PE is also o.k.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:57 pm

Thanks

for the clarifications. ^ ^ ^

The primary driver of getting the 60-day pass was the 8hr AMS layover, and to a lesser extent the other legs of the trip. Since showers and computer access will not be free, I will look into venturing into Amsterdam instead.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:29 am

Good choice! Pack a small umbrella or rain gear, just in case, on the off chance, who knows, it might be wet in Amsterdam that day. Unless you are really counting on that free shower....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.