Wiki Posts
Search

Northwest Slipping Up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Northwest Slipping Up?

FNT - RSW, DC-9, on 12/22/05:

- Seat belts in disarray when passengers boarded. I didn't see any garbage lying around, but I doubt the plane had been cleaned.
- The right-hand bulkhead between FC and coach was missing! The flight attendant remarked "better than the plane we had yesterday when the FC lav was out of order the whole day".
- No pre-departure beverage in FC.
- No snack or meal in FC. Granted, the fight left at 3:00 PM, which isn't mealtime I guess, but still it's a three hour flight.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:17 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Sounds typical - a bit dirtier than average in my own experience, but unsurprising.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:23 am

My last few experiences on NW were terrible. Dirty planes. Late planes (mechanical). Rude staff (with one notable exception). Shouting matches between employees in front of passengers. Upgrades not processed, even though F seats went out empty. Perhaps its part of a plan to make the WorldClub purchase a necessity because it's like night-and-day between what goes on in-and-out of the club.

I sent a letter to see if NW cares about any of these things. The response will determine how much, if any, money I spend on this airline in 2006.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Wayne

<snipped>
- No snack or meal in FC. Granted, the fight left at 3:00 PM, which isn't mealtime I guess, but still it's a three hour flight.
Three hours without food?!? That's simply unAmerican!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:56 am

- Seat belts in disarray when passengers boarded. I didn't see any garbage lying around, but I doubt the plane had been cleaned.
- The right-hand bulkhead between FC and coach was missing! The flight attendant remarked "better than the plane we had yesterday when the FC lav was out of order the whole day".
- No pre-departure beverage in FC.- No snack or meal in FC. Granted, the fight left at 3:00 PM, which isn't mealtime I guess, but still it's a three hour flight.
Unfortunately this sounds like just another day in the life….Pre-flight beverage service is dependent on how the FA’s are feeling on that particular flight.

In the past month I have had a flight where the FA’s were extremely professional and addressed PAX by their last names even having to swim through the coach PAX who were boarding in order to serve pre-flight.
All the way to flights where not 2 but 3 FA’s stood up front and talked while the plane was being boarded and no pre-flights were served.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
- No pre-departure beverage in FC.
On about 50% of my FC flights the past two weeks, I've had no pre-flight beverage. At least a glass of water would have been nice. And on one flight, you could only pick ONE nut mix OR pretzels. "They didn't load anymore when they restocked the plane", said the FA. She had to ration out the remainder from the flight before.

Oh, and on the route DCA>DTW Two weeks ago, the guy next to me had a broken tray table. Had bright orange tape all over it saying "unserviceable". Luckily FC wasn't full so he moved. After he moved, it kept falling down during the flight since it was a little choppy. Finally I got pissed and tore off the tape then ripped off the plastic molding and retaped to the chair (they taped it to the molding, and the molding kept ripping out). The FA looked at me weird when I just left the molding sitting on the seat I just smiled back.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by jinglebear
Three hours without food?!? That's simply unAmerican!
It can be a big problem if you haven't had time to get anything on the way or at the airport, that 3 hours can turn into much longer!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gsupstate
It can be a big problem if you haven't had time to get anything on the way or at the airport, that 3 hours can turn into much longer!
It's getting to where we need to make sure we pack our lunch boxes before we leave each time. Seriously, I've become a pack rat, wine (small cardboard containers now), cheese, crackers, salami, fruit, etc. I always think, when I'm throwing in some food, that I probably won't need it but I usually do. Running between connections, running to the airport, delays on the ground, unable to get to a club for minimal survival provisions, it's enough to make you lose weight.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Multi-year NW PE, CO SE, Former F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by tc fly girl
It's getting to where we need to make sure we pack our lunch boxes before we leave each time. Seriously, I've become a pack rat, wine (small cardboard containers now), cheese, crackers, salami, fruit, etc. I always think, when I'm throwing in some food, that I probably won't need it but I usually do. Running between connections, running to the airport, delays on the ground, unable to get to a club for minimal survival provisions, it's enough to make you lose weight.
At least your flight was a non-stop. My FNT-RSW flight on 12/28 had to stop in Knoxville for a fuel stop. You have to love the DC-9's MTOW.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, NW/DL 2MM
I always keep a few powerbars in my briefcase.

At times they've gotten a bit beat up and skunky, but 2 hours into a flight that you've jumped on after missing breakfast and lunch they start to look and taste very good!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kcnwa
On about 50% of my FC flights the past two weeks, I've had no pre-flight beverage. At least a glass of water would have been nice. And on one flight, you could only pick ONE nut mix OR pretzels. "They didn't load anymore when they restocked the plane", said the FA. She had to ration out the remainder from the flight before.
There has been no edict from on-high to skimp on the nuts and pretzels. For 6 segments I took Wednesday and Thursday of this week, (GRB-DTW-MEM-GPT & Return), all had Very good service - we got nuts AND pretzels on all six segments - on most the FA simply offered a tray and you could help yourself. The GA's were very good as well. And the pilot on flight #288 from MEM-DTW got applause when he fixed a bum indicator regarding lighting on the flight deck by diagnosing the problem as one that would be fixed by rebooting the lighting system. ^
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, NW/DL 2MM
Originally Posted by TRVLRZ
Unfortunately this sounds like just another day in the life….Pre-flight beverage service is dependent on how the FA’s are feeling on that particular flight.

In the past month I have had a flight where the FA’s were extremely professional and addressed PAX by their last names even having to swim through the coach PAX who were boarding in order to serve pre-flight.
All the way to flights where not 2 but 3 FA’s stood up front and talked while the plane was being boarded and no pre-flights were served.
Nearly half the flights I've been on lately have had no FC pre-flight beverage. Many of these times, the FA has told us that catering was late, and indeed, the catering guys were pitching stuff aboard as passengers were boarding. The squeeze of trying to do too much in too short a time with too few people is affecting everything.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by tc fly girl
It's getting to where we need to make sure we pack our lunch boxes before we leave each time. Seriously, I've become a pack rat, wine (small cardboard containers now), cheese, crackers, salami, fruit, etc. I always think, when I'm throwing in some food, that I probably won't need it but I usually do...
I don't need to do that. No matter what I say, my wife stuffs her purse in the World Clubs. We always make sure that we get to an MSP WC before we leave.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO One Pass Nothing, SPG Gold
Am I the only one that thinks it's just hillarious that we are sitting here discussing whether or not Nuts and Pretzels were served....in First Class....lol!

What has happened to Northwest?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HMizzle
Am I the only one that thinks it's just hillarious that we are sitting here discussing whether or not Nuts and Pretzels were served....in First Class....lol!
What has happened to this forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.