Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Managing pax of ignorance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Managing pax of ignorance

I really wonder about some of the pax on my flights. Maybe you can help me understand.

RC was on my flight and was kind enough to bring us a box of chocolates. We each took a piece as we were setting up our bev. carts and left the box on the counter in the galley. During the service I notice a group of pax (mostly men) hanging out in the galley. They were most likely stuck back there because we were in the aisle. I go back and ask if they would like to return to their seat as I will move my cart and they say "no" they are fine. We finish the service, shoo everyone out of the galley and put the carts away. Sure enough, the box of chocolates are almost empty. In addition, someone helped themselves to 2 buy on board snacks (the money of which comes out of my pocket).

Next flight we have a serious medical emergency. A little girl is allergic to cats and one is under the seat 4 rows back. Her throat is closing up and we are flying around the cabin coordinating the medical efforts. We put her in the FC galley (more room) and are in the process of working on her when the call buttons start. Some pax in FC are upset that their tray hasn't been removed, 2 want coffee and one came into the galley twice to get water. One pax had the gall to insist that she use the FC lav because she "was seated in FC...not coach".

As I ran back to coach to grab an additional O2 bottle, one pax stopped me (grabbed my arm actually) wanting to know what was wrong and then felt it necessary to tell me that we could just open up the door and kick the cat out. Problem solved. It also didn't help that the dr. didn't have a card proving he was dr. and then after getting the meds ready, refused to do the injection because he felt uncomfortable. Good thing I've done it before.

On the flight the next day, a pax passes out in our galley. We ask the pax in the last row to move to another seat and he actually said no! After some persuasion (I will make sure you are denied boarding on your next flight kind of persuasion) he moved and another pax helped us move her to the row. As we were working on her, 2 more pax fell ill (not as serious though) but I still received requests from pax wanting more drinks, blankets etc.

I am dumbfounded. There have been a lot of F/A bashing threads lately and for as useless as some of you think we are...I earned my keep these last few days.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Wow thats awful! I had some great FAs yesterday. Its unbelievable how rude and inconsiderate some people in this society can be...

I hope your next flights are much less eventful!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Some people simply think of no one but themselves. I assume it was pretty obvious in those situations that there was a fellow passenger in distress... Sad.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
People can be amazing. On the ground in D.C., I'm always amazed be people's unwillingness to make way for ambulances.

HS --

I don't know how you and your colleagues can put up with the pax at all. I don't think I'd last a day.

At least know that we all appreciate you guys. But when are you gonna be on one of my flights?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Some people are selfish. Some people are pigs. Some people are selfish pigs. You'll find all three variants everywhere; you just happen to have a jobs that can get you stuck in aluminum tube with them for several hours.

Next time, if you can figure out how to get rid of the cat, keep the cat & throw out the pigs.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:57 pm

I have not seen a work place yet that didn't have horror stories. Those are what make life interesting.

I find it helps to feel sorry for and pitty the miserable life that folks like this must lead where they feel that acting out like this is ok. @:-) @:-)
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: CO
Ugh, I feel your pain!

I used to work in the lost bag office for a major airline; I know what it can be like. I always had to remind myself that for most people, traveling can be a very confusing and frustrating experience (especially when you don’t have the type of inside knowledge that most of us share on these boards). I also knew that between the lost bags and the delayed flights and problems they cause, most people just needed to be reassured that someone does care.

There was always a group of people that never ceased to amaze me; too selfish, too disconnected from reality, etc. Even with the worst of these people, I always tried to believe that they were very competent individuals doing in what ever they did for a living, and that flying was unfamiliar and frustrating enough to bring out the worst in them

“..listen buddy, I don’t care that my bag is on the next flight, you are going to get it for me right now!!!”
(Passenger after being advised that his bag was loaded on a flight landing in 30 minutes)

“I don’t want another page, you are going to tell me exactly where my daughter is in this airport, RIGHT! THIS! SECOND!!!!! (Mother poking me in the chest, wanting to know the location of her 19 year old daughter in the Sea-Tac Airport 20 minutes after the flight arrived.)

After moving from the airlines to the corporate world, I can honestly say there is no difference, this group of people are just incredible jerks no matter what.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>Even with the worst of these people, I always tried to believe that they were very competent individuals doing in what ever they did for a living, and that flying was unfamiliar and frustrating enough to bring out the worst in them...

When I worked as a travel agent, the owner of the agency said that when she got into the business, many of her clients were friends she had known for years, or even decades. But when booking their travel, she said, she suddenly learned about completely unexpected sides of them she had never known or seen before--and they had her home number!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Some people are selfish. Some people are pigs. Some people are selfish pigs. You'll find all three variants everywhere; you just happen to have a jobs that can get you stuck in aluminum tube with them for several hours.

Next time, if you can figure out how to get rid of the cat, keep the cat & throw out the pigs.
Eloquent and succinct as always Mike. HS good to hear from you, and yeah been a little rough on this board as of late to the FAs but know that there are many of us that believe that NW has some of the best FAs in the sky. Keep the faith!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by headstrong
Next flight we have a serious medical emergency.... when the call buttons start. Some pax in FC are upset that their tray hasn't been removed, 2 want coffee and one came into the galley twice to get water. One pax had the gall to insist that she use the FC lav because she "was seated in FC...not coach".
Hi Headstrong-
What a demanding trip. It sounds like you handled things very well. I'm sure that the pax you served appreciates your efforts.
I once had a cardiac failure onboard, probably the most serious medical emergency of the dozens I've dealt with in 8 years.
We talked to Mayo Clinic, were considering diversion, etc. I made an announcement informing the pax of the medical emergency, the necessity of modifying our service, and I asked the pax for their understanding.
Same as with you, the call bells sounded like the anvil chorus. Pax wanted their breakfasts, wanted assurance that they would not miss connections, etc. Worse, I got a breakfast thrown at me from a FC pax. He was angry because he didn't get his choice of meal. Other pax later apologized for him.

Isn't it nice to have someone like RC onboard once in awhile??

Last edited by rambling; Dec 19, 2005 at 6:27 pm
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by heasdstrong
<snip>I am dumbfounded. There have been a lot of F/A bashing threads lately and for as useless as some of you think we are...I earned my keep these last few days.
Dear headstrong:

A. I have never taken the FA's for granted. Your job is one that seems all fluff until the...well, you know..hits the fan. Then everybody loves you.

B. I always try to make eye contact and pass on a sincere "Thank You" as I leave the aircraft. Always.

C. In my job, people only see me when their world has fallen apart. I get abused all the time. Just realize they aren't "normal" then.

D. Of course, I have a police officer (usually) close at hand to sic on them...you don't...

E. Somebody should take those pax that swiped your chocolates and beat them. Stealing, plain and simple. Sheesh.

F. BTW, did I say "thank you"? I meant it!

All the best, James
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:42 pm

OK, eating your chocolate should be immediately punishable by guaranteed middle seat, last row with passengers of size on both sides. For a year.

When I first skimmed the post, my immediate reaction was, "Wow. These FAs were really good, dealing with these emergencies on board so smoothly that the pax didn't even notice". Of course I don't know if that's really the case, but it's nicer to think that pax are clueless that just miserable. My world may not be the closest thing to reality, but it sure is a fun place!

Every time I fly I try to bring some chocolates for the GAs and FAs -- not to try and get anything from them, but because I'm constantly impressed with how well they do their job when they're surrounded with people who eat their chocolate instead of giving them chocolate! Trust me, it's never gone unappreciated.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
I am dumbfounded.
Sadly, I'm not. This behavior you describe seems to be par for the course these days as a general trend of people thinking more of themselves and less about others. I suppose a few of the pax could possibly be excused if they didn't know anything about what was happening with the emergencies, but as for the chocolate thieves...no excuse at all. I try not to bemoan the lack of manners and courtesy towards others these days...but this just encapsulates at all.

I earned my keep these last few days.
You certainly did, and I think you provided a great insight for all those who think the FA's are little more than glorified cocktail waitresses. (of course, most on FT already know that isn't the case). Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

TF
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:42 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
heasdstrong,

Nice to see you are still posting here, was afraid you may of been driven off by all the negative stuff going on. Reading your post though, sounds like you have to deal with alot worse and were probably tame in comparison.

I always wonder if there will ever be a scientific explanation for what causes everyday idiots to become super idiots on airplanes, buses, trains and other forms of transport.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
While the BOB snack theft and customer behavior during the med emergency were inexcusable, regarding the chocolates, it's not uncommon for foreign airlines to place snacks, often times including candy, in the galley for self-service. While I fly enough to know that NW doesn't do this, it's possible that if it was sitting out, these customers thought it was for passenger consumption. I would suggest stowing them out of sight to avoid this confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.