Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

How to Standby for F without being "that annoying guy"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Gold, HH Gold, National Emerald

As a newly minted Silver (on the way to Gold) I have found myself on the standby list for FC most of the time (only one EUA on my last 8 segments) and am still a bit uncomfortable with the waiting process at the gate. I like to know what my chances are but am hesitant to ask because I do not want to look like "that guy" (we all know him) who hovers around the desk repeatedly checking his upgrade status.

Peace of mind is nice, but there are also a few practical concerns, like the fact that there is no meal in Coach (the "Snack Box" does not do it for me). Should I grab a bite to eat before boarding or not?

I learned early as an Elite that it is important to be present when standing by. My first Battlefield Upgrade came after I observed the GA print boarding passes and make gate announcements for two pax who did not respond. She then proceeded to print two additional BPs including one for me and threw the others away. This was a full flight out of MSP and the GA looked at me (Silver) like she did not believe it and said "your lucky day, a few PEs must have dropped dead in MSP."

My general approach has been to get to the counter early and simply ask where I am on the list and if I should stay around the gate area. If my chances are poor I don't feel the need to stick it out. If I am still in play, I sweat it out a little longer, but make a point to never ask the GA a second time regarding my status.

I am curious how others approach the Battlefield situation?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
You don't have to constantly check it. I just ask when I'm at the gate if FC is full or not. If FC checks in full, they'll tell you, or, they'll tell you if it's possible or not.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
My standard question to the gate agent (once and once only) is:

"I'm a platinum on the waitlist for first. I just wanted to check if I have any chance of clearing or if I should just take my coach seat."

Nobody has reacted rudely when phrased that way with a smile
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/Million Miler; Mileage Plus Platinum; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum; Hilton Silver
I usually ask what number I am on the list and how many seats are avail. They usually tell me to wait or not. Being Platinum I am almost always told to wait....
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:23 pm
DWM

Programs: AA Gold (and climbing), SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I always say that I checked with the agent at the World club and they told me to check immediately with the gate as it looks like the upgrade is inevitable.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Well for what's it worth from a fellow Silver with the same issue:

1. At baggage check I'll ask to confirm that I'm on the list - usually put in some humor - "Can I ask where I am on the list? Do I have a chance or am I just kidding myself?"

2. When I get in the WC I'll re-check as they are doing the membership check. Sometimes they bounce me to the second desk.

3. Usually I'll target getting to the gate about 35 min prior to the flight which is usually about 5-10 min before the start preboarding. Again I'll take the humorous approach "You'll probably get to have a laugh on me but I'll take a risk and ask - do I have a chance at an upgrade from the waitlist?"

Overall I'm seeing about 50/50 odds on getting it when waitlisted. Fortunately my primary route is DFW-MSP-GEG and I book 7-8AM takeoffs which improves the odds markedly.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:32 pm

Usually, when I standby for F, I don't really expect to get upgraded especially if I'm like Number 4 and there is only 1 F class seat left. Otherwise, I'd just sit tight and relax.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:35 pm

I have found the best way is the old twenty dollar bill in the palm as you offer to shake the guys hand. If it's a woman then the old "my goodness you're a beautiful woman" is always a good intro.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
"F is checked in full" does not necessarily mean that F will be full.

I just ask for my position on this and they almost always tell me. If they just say "yeah, you're on the list", then I get a little more emphatic.

More often than not these days, the GA's will bring BP's on board & relocate people to F if there are unexpected vacancies. I would just get on the plane.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
"F is checked in full" does not necessarily mean that F will be full.
I always thought whenever they announce "F is checked in full" it's the end of it that F is fully checked in. It's another way for the GA to say stop hoping for an upgrade you are not getting an upgrade on this flight.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by bumpme
I always thought whenever they announce "F is checked in full" it's the end of it that F is fully checked in. It's another way for the GA to say stop hoping for an upgrade you are not getting an upgrade on this flight.
They may have checked in (on-line, for example), but it doesn't mean they've made it to the airport, or that the flight they're connecting from has arrived on-time . . . or that they've gotten hammered and are passed out in the WC
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>I always thought whenever they announce "F is checked in full" it's the end of it that F is fully checked in. It's another way for the GA to say stop hoping for an upgrade you are not getting an upgrade on this flight.

I think it is a way for the GA to say stop ASKING for an upgrade--and that the GA knows perfectly well that some F space might free up, but it will only be a seat or two, and that an announcement will at least circumvent a parade of people asking about an upgrade.

I once had an agent immediately tell me that F was checked in full, and as I walked away mentioned to another agent that she should run some procedure, and 3 minutes later she called me up for the F boarding pass.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:00 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I am gold. a couple of months ago I was flying out of MKE (my home) to DTW and was told at the WC that I was #13! on the upgrade list . . . and I made it! Either someone screwed up or lots of folks didn't show.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:47 pm

As said before, I always ask where I am on the upgrade list. I try to do this at the WorldClub as they're more likely to be willing to explain where I'm at on the list and how many are on the list, what times other people checked-in at, etc. They usually offer up their best guess (more informed than mine) on whether I'll make it up front.

If there's no WC, I'll usually ask the gate agent about 2-3 mins after they arrive at the gate to start the pre-boarding procedure what number I am on the list. More often than not, they also offer up their opinion.

Re: "First class is checked-in full...": Your hopes are not gone, but you should plan to board with the elites at this point. They'll come on board and give you a FC BP if it opens up. Happens to me a lot recently.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:38 pm

Thumbs down Ridiculous!

Originally Posted by jimc_usa
I have found the best way is the old twenty dollar bill in the palm as you offer to shake the guys hand. If it's a woman then the old "my goodness you're a beautiful woman" is always a good intro.

Jimc_usa -- your approach is ridiculous and insulting. You don't really do this, do you? Please tell me you're kidding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.