Diaper Change in CRJ

Old Sep 7, 05, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Delta GM, CO GE
Diaper Change in CRJ

Returning from an academic conference to DCA-DTW-AZO: One of the many professors on the CRJ flying to AZO decided to change the diaper of her very young (maybe three-five month old) baby. She laid out a towel on her lap and proceeded to engage in her task. This as the plane was taxiing out to the runway (those of you familar with DTW know how long the time between push-back and take off [or landing to gate for that matter] can be). The whole plane smelled like you-know-what. I grumbled and moved from the exit row to the very back of the plane where there were open seats. People looked at me like *I* was nuts. They thought mom and baby were cute.... Does anyone agree with me that this was just plain nuts on the part of "mom" ? Why not do this *before* boarding a plane that will be making a 25 minute hop to Kalamazoo?

Best, Andy
Old Sep 7, 05, 8:06 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Well, it kind of depends on when the event occurred that precipitated the diaper change, I would suppose.
Old Sep 7, 05, 8:12 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I don't blame you for not being excited, however, I don't exactly blame the mother for changing her child, either. Sometimes **** happens -- literally!
Old Sep 7, 05, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Plat.(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
an even crappier story

The Mrs. & I were on a Dc10 msp=lax (the good ol days) in FC when during breakfast (the couple behind w/ infant were finished) mom & dad changed junior's diaper right on the seat tray.

It smelled oh so nice! First Class isn't what it used to be?

WT
Old Sep 7, 05, 8:26 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
>
anybody else read the slugline & think "rough landing" ??

/.
Old Sep 7, 05, 10:31 pm

Programs: HP Gold, Delta, NWA PE Southwest RR, SPG, Marriot, Hilton Gold
It happened in FC yesterday. Changed the baby at lunch time, I was not pleaent but it did stop the baby from crying. I agree FC is not what is used to be.
Old Sep 7, 05, 10:50 pm
J-M

How disgusting! I would have moved too! Don't really understand how this kind of **** (literally) can be thought of as "cute"
Old Sep 8, 05, 12:15 am

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
Originally Posted by J-M
How disgusting! I would have moved too! Don't really understand how this kind of **** (literally) can be thought of as "cute"
It would be nice to believe that the offending baby could have been removed from the pax' presence, but I don't know if it would be even physically possible to change even the smallest infant in the lav of a CRJ... which presumes as well that the baby would wait for a change until after takeoff and ascent.

So... maybe it's the case that you rolled the dice and came up snake eyes that day, but as a previous poster said - sometimes spit happens.
Old Sep 8, 05, 12:47 am

Programs: DL-Million Miler
erj lavs are bigger

Too bad it wasn't an ERJ. The single lavatory in the back is huge! I'm not kidding.
Old Sep 8, 05, 4:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
The Mrs. & I were on a Dc10 msp=lax (the good ol days) in FC when during breakfast (the couple behind w/ infant were finished) mom & dad changed junior's diaper right on the seat tray.

It smelled oh so nice! First Class isn't what it used to be?

WT
Same thing happened to me on a DTW-PHX a few years ago. I was in 1B and the lady in 2B proceded to pollute the aircraft with the stench of her baby's crap. I give the f/a credit however for discretly approaching her and informing her that there is a changing table in the lav and that she should use that should the need arise again.

I'm definetly not OCD, but after that flight, I began carrying sanitizing towelettes to wipe down tray tables and armrests.
Old Sep 8, 05, 7:01 am
Suspended

I don't see how the changing in the bathroom can be helped. Although, I think you're right to move.

As to the changeing on the tray table, that's just .

I would have said something, honest.

Typical "I'm with my baby, so I can do anything" attitude I see from parents all the time.
Old Sep 8, 05, 7:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I don't see how the changing in the bathroom can be helped. Although, I think you're right to move.
?????????????????

As to the changeing on the tray table, that's just .
What is the difference between changing the baby on the tray table or the floor?

I would have said something, honest.
WHAT would you have said? HONEST?

Typical "I'm with my baby, so I can do anything" attitude I see from parents all the time.
Typical "The world revolves around me" attitude I see from yuppies all the time.
Old Sep 8, 05, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CameraGuy
?????????????????

What is the difference between changing the baby on the tray table or the floor?

WHAT would you have said? HONEST?

Typical "The world revolves around me" attitude I see from yuppies all the time.
Oh, sorry, I somehow thought that the OP said someone changed their baby in the CRJ bathroom. Don't know how I thought that. OOPS!

Anyway, yes, on the floor and on the tray table are both

In this case, I would have said: "Excuse me, can you please change your baby in the lavatory?"

I don't follow your last comment about yuppies.
Old Sep 8, 05, 7:50 am
Suspended

AZO here, too. Thank goodness I was not on that flight. I regularly walk around airports with earplugs in, just to keep out the multitude of irritating noises that make me cranky. Bose noise cancelling headphones do the trick when sitting in a plane. Too bad there is not yet some sort of smell-cancelling device that can easily be carried by pax. That would be handy in many places.
Old Sep 8, 05, 8:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Oh, sorry, I somehow thought that the OP said someone changed their baby in the CRJ bathroom. Don't know how I thought that. OOPS!
Looks like you have a problem with babies, not where they are changed.

Anyway, yes, on the floor and on the tray table are both

In this case, I would have said: "Excuse me, can you please change your baby in the lavatory?"
In THIS case, they were taxiing! Did you read the OP at all?

I don't follow your last comment about yuppies.
If the shoe fits.

Search this Thread