Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minors and Firearms

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Million Miler, Hertz President's Circle
Minors and Firearms

This may seem an odd question. Can a 17 year old fly unaccompanied with a firearm as checked luggage?

(Assuming of course that all other firearms requirements are met.)
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:13 am

The published rules say nothing about age:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/sp...tems.html#fire
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1666.xml

You should probably call both NW and the TSA to see what they say. And you might want to call each more than once to make sure you're getting consistent answers.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I didn't think it was legal for a minor to be in possession of a firearm unsupervised. That's you potential stumbling block, although no one may think about it.

Steve
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:32 pm

Does not sound prudent to me. I would call NW and TSA.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:07 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
The container or package must be clearly labeled as containing dry ice. ??

The bigger issue would be applicable to transportation to & from the airport at each end -- and we'll assume the OP has those legal matters under control.

So, it comes down to NWA's procedures for ANY passenger presenting a compliant luggage container.
I'd let NWA explain it to TSA.

dry ice ?? (shakes head)
/.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:27 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs up

this policy does not seem like it has been updated since those stupid TSA locks came about --

Luggage containing firearms must be locked and only the passenger may retain the key or combination. Airline personnel will not unload or handle firearms

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/sp...tems.html#fire

PS the bit about the "dry ice" label aparently applies only to shotguns

Two (2) shotguns in two (2) cases considered as one (1) item The container or package must be clearly labeled as containing dry ice.

Northwest must have laid off their proof-reader staff.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
this policy does not seem like it has been updated since those stupid TSA locks came about --

Luggage containing firearms must be locked and only the passenger may retain the key or combination. Airline personnel will not unload or handle firearms
I noticed that, too. But then I saw that the TSA actually concurs:

Originally Posted by TSA Website
  • The container must be locked.
  • It is preferred that the passenger provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the screener must open the container, the TSA and/or airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact the passenger. If this is unsuccessful, the container will not be placed on the plane since unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) are not permitted on aircraft due to Federal regulations.
So if you're transporting guns, I guess you have to get some TSA locks?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
The last time I flew with a rifle was in late 2003. They wanted the passengers own lock, not a TSA one. This is still alluded to in the TSA site above, where it refers to either a keyed OR combination lock and the passenger providing access to the screener, which has been the airline at baggage check-in. They ask you to open the case and place a tag inside, then lock it back up and check it like any other bag. This is also still apparently the same as the TSA language refers to the "screener" as "the TSA and/or airline".
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:25 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Surely the TSA isn't saying that TSA locks are insecure?????
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: NW, Marriott, HHonors, Westin
Of course they are: Many many people can open them. With a gun case, only the passenger can open them and (if a combo lock) anyone they tell the combo to.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by sllevin
I didn't think it was legal for a minor to be in possession of a firearm unsupervised. That's you potential stumbling block, although no one may think about it.

Steve
Most (if not all) states allow minors to go hunting & target shooting. There may be additional restrictions such as an age limit (e.g. 14) below which additional supervision is required and some states require minors to attend firearms training course to receive hunting licenses.

As long as it's legally possessed at both departure & arrival, I can't imagine that there would be a problem.

When I grew up the farm kids would drive in to school with .30-06's still hanging in the gun racks of their pickups. We didn't have any school shootings, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.