Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change in elite seating policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Your use of "upgrade" in this context is ambiguous.

Are you talking about moving a companion to a premium/elite/exit seat (the subject of this thread) or companion upgrades at the gate?
The upgrading of a non-elite by an elite at no cost, based on the status of the elite, either at EUA, manual, or at the gate.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by 925
The upgrading of a non-elite by an elite at no cost, based on the status of the elite, either at EUA, manual, or at the gate.
If that is true, it is not reflected in the elite benefits on nwa.com:
Platinum and Gold Elite members may upgrade one companion from any paid fare at the airport only within two hours of departure on a Northwest- or Continental-operated flight. No advance confirmation is available.

Members using the Platinum Elite Confirmed Companion Upgrade will be able to upgrade one companion booked within the same reservation...
"from any paid fare" vs. "booked within the same reservation"
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SpinzCity
What Northwest SHOULD do is add the option of coordinating seating to nwa.com, such that an elite member could type in the record locator of a companion into her or his own record, and that would then designate the other person as an elite companion, and would permit a person to book P seats in that record. I would volunteer to fly up to Minnesota and do the programming on that one. Do they still use DOS ?
Good suggestion. Forward it to the powers that be at NW.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:17 am

Programs: NW, Marriott, HHonors, Westin
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I'm not sure that is true...I have been around at gate and on planes when parents were complaining that their "5 year old child" wasn't seated next to them...It's funny to hear the GA tell them that they can't do anything but the flight attendentants will help them (knowing full well that isn't true...they can ask for volunteers to switch seats, but they can't force anybody to change...and some FA's just say, "you will have to just ask people to switch seats...without offering to help.)
To be specific: I was talking about in-advance elite seating requests, not battlefield ones. Once you are in the terminal, all bets are off. Typically, my leisure flights are either booked well in advance, or on nearly empty flights, because I am cheap.

In any event, when calling the elite services line, I've been told more than once that if my separate-record companion is a minor child, I can move them to elite seating, but otherwise not.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
This is really starting to tick me off. Two more situations I've encountered. Using any E-certs means you can't have the reservation together and thus can't sit with your non-elite companion. Even if you use two of the same e-certs, one for each passenger, you can't be on the same reservation. Lots of good my mechanical delay e-certs are unless I'm flying alone...and who wants to use coupons for business travel?

If you buy one ticket and use miles for the other, again it can't be put on same reservation and you can't sit together.

If you haven't already, send an e-mail to customer care to let them know how ridiculous this policy is.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Phil2016
This is really starting to tick me off. Two more situations I've encountered. Using any E-certs means you can't have the reservation together and thus can't sit with your non-elite companion. Even if you use two of the same e-certs, one for each passenger, you can't be on the same reservation. Lots of good my mechanical delay e-certs are unless I'm flying alone...and who wants to use coupons for business travel?
Another way it makes no sense -- have to cancel a leisure trip to take a more expensive business trip and use the credit later on. Have to book two separate reservations.

If you buy one ticket and use miles for the other, again it can't be put on same reservation and you can't sit together.
Or if you use miles from two separate accounts.

As someone who often flies on a cheap ticket with my fiance who's on a Y or B ticket (he flies to my hometown for business a lot), this policy bugs me A LOT. He's in the exit row and they refuse to put me in the seat next to him -- instead giving me a middle toward the back (because I often book fairly close to departure).
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by troyintn
The GA can not kick someone out of a seat. All they see is empty seats, so if the flight is full or their are not any seats next too each other the only thing they can do is hope the FA will get it worked out.
Time was, in the not-to-distant past, when a situation like this (parents and children separated) cropped up, the GA would look up who could be moved and call their name over the PA to try re-accommodate people. I was once the beneficiary of an exit row seat for this (okay this is going back a ways, late 1990s), and I know someone else who received an op-up (a couple of years ago). Fact is, the GAs I have come across lately don't want to do diddly for anyone anymore, at least it seems that way . NW's great FAs, GAs and CSRs were key to building my loyalty but they're not doing much to keep me around anymore.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
One thing that I have found is that agents at WorldClubs seem to be able to put people together in Premium/Exit Rows, even for flights a few weeks off. They don't call the Seating Desk or whatever, they just smile, type away, and print out a new reservation confirmation. Helps if you're nice to them (duh).

On one occasion I did this, and both I and my girlfriend somehow ended up rebooked in Y (from a K fare!). Don't know how that one happened, but I didn't say anything either..
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rdg_dc
One thing that I have found is that agents at WorldClubs seem to be able to put people together in Premium/Exit Rows, even for flights a few weeks off.
Excellent tip for those that use coupons and have different PNRs. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it at all possible for NW agents to put 2 tickets on the same PNR if they have different start points? I'm traveling to Oslo with my non-Elite mother, but she will start from TPA while I will start from MSN. Premium seats together on the transatlantic portion would be nice. I will be purchasing both tickets.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Is it at all possible for NW agents to put 2 tickets on the same PNR if they have different start points?
Yes. The agents can, if they so desire, do pretty much whatever they want in terms of seat assignments provided that they keep the travelers in the class of service to which they are entitled.

You have a very good case for adjacent transatlantic seat assignments. Ask nicely -- and, if necessary -- call back and I expect you will be accommodated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.