NWA Silver Elite Worth It?

Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
NWA Silver Elite Worth It?

Enjoyed reading all the posts for so long! Now i decided to sign up and I got my first questions for all of you who are the experts at this! I would say I fly 8-10 times a year now, mostly to FLL. I would say once I get the Silver Elite on NWA I would be able to maintain it. My question I guess is two parts. One is it worth it for someone like me, as some years I will have to take "extra flights". And two this year I will fall about 6K short.(took 4 flights on Spirit, I know DUMB!)would it be worth it for me to try to get it this year? (I have 10,111 now with 3 first class flights to FLL still to come in 2005) Thanks A LOT!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
first, welcome to FT - my first welcome ever!

second, the answer to your question depends on your location, how convenient NW is for you, etc. but speaking quite generally, yes, Silver is worth it. I value the UGs most, the bonus miles next, and the miscellaneous perks last (pre-board, shorter lines in some instances, etc). From FLL you might find a halfway decent flight to SEA for 6k miles - a worthwhile MR to get you to elite-dom.

unless you have to take substantial MRs every year, silver sounds pretty doable for you, and is much more pleasant than flying with no elite status.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:29 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Bran28
Enjoyed reading all the posts for so long! Now i decided to sign up and I got my first questions for all of you who are the experts at this! I would say I fly 8-10 times a year now, mostly to FLL. I would say once I get the Silver Elite on NWA I would be able to maintain it. My question I guess is two parts. One is it worth it for someone like me, as some years I will have to take "extra flights". And two this year I will fall about 6K short.(took 4 flights on Spirit, I know DUMB!)would it be worth it for me to try to get it this year? (I have 10,111 now with 3 first class flights to FLL still to come in 2005) Thanks A LOT!!!!!!!!!!
From where? What are you looking for in elite status? The upgrades for silvers are hit and miss. Some routes/flights you will never get them, and some routes/flights you might almost always get them. You also have the ability to prereserve an exit row/bulkhead seat on any skyteam carrier. Silver allows access to F checkin lines but not elite security lines for whatever reason. Remember, buy actually buying F tickets, you will get a 150% EQM bonus, so be sure to figure that into your calcuations.

In some senses, I was sort of hesistant to push for silver this year, because I didn't want to spend the extra dough just to figure out that I would never get an upgrade. I flew two roundtrips out of LAX so far this year where all 4 of my segments cleared. I just flew one this week where NO segments cleared (but I was told after the fact that if I would have taken the next MSP-LAX flight, that my upgrade had cleared. Darn ) My total upgrades for the year are in the 50+ plus bracket, and quite a few are to/from LAX, so it's not like I'm counting a bunch of DTW-BDL and DTW-ROC types and never clearing LAX. In fact, I'm finding that my MKE flights (with the exception of the LAX nonstop) are as hard to clear as the hub-LAX flights.

Ok. So when the upgrade fails, I've almost always been able to secure an exit row/bulkhead. So yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

Edited to add: My flights this year have been very, very, full. I don't check bags so I really appreciate the preboard option, which saves me from having to dump my bag in the baggage pit. I also bought a pass to the World Club this year. I really like it. There are clubs at my home airport (LAX) and all of the airports I visit regularly. It's nice to have familiar faces that are not rushed to get to the next person in line and that will actually take the time to help you, and omigosh smile. I usually leave right from work and take a morning flight out of LAX, and along with the free beer, it helps to even have free orange juice and bagels. I am disappointed in that the only thing offered in the afternoon is just cheese and crackers. Oh, and the line to "please see an agent" usually aren't very long. The main WC at DTW is actually really nice.

Last edited by DHAST; Jun 29, 2005 at 11:56 pm
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by DHAST
From where? What are you looking for in elite status? The upgrades for silvers are hit and miss. Some routes/flights you will never get them, and some routes/flights you might almost always get them. You also have the ability to prereserve an exit row/bulkhead seat on any skyteam carrier. Silver allows access to F checkin lines but not elite security lines for whatever reason. Remember, buy actually buying F tickets, you will get a 150% EQM bonus, so be sure to figure that into your calcuations.

In some senses, I was sort of hesistant to push for silver this year, because I didn't want to spend the extra dough just to figure out that I would never get an upgrade. I flew two roundtrips out of LAX so far this year where all 4 of my segments cleared. I just flew one this week where NO segments cleared (but I was told after the fact that if I would have taken the next MSP-LAX flight, that my upgrade had cleared. Darn ) My total upgrades for the year are in the 50+ plus bracket, and quite a few are to/from LAX, so it's not like I'm counting a bunch of DTW-BDL and DTW-ROC types and never clearing LAX. In fact, I'm finding that my MKE flights (with the exception of the LAX nonstop) are as hard to clear as the hub-LAX flights.

Ok. So when the upgrade fails, I've almost always been able to secure an exit row/bulkhead. So yeah, I'd say it's worth it.
Thanks! for the advice so far! I am in DTW didnt say that so its pretty much a NW world!
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
short answer: yes.. i clear upgrades about 75% of the time.

nice perk to say the least. Ex-LAX is one of the hardest markets period to get an upgrade.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:51 am

Programs: HHDia NWASE AAGold MarriottSilver
The preferred seating is a nice perk, and bonus miles do add up, but upgrades seem to be disappearing.
I've had four trips in the last 3 months (in and out of MKE, CLE, DTW, MEM, RSW, BNI, MSP mostly) and out of 22 segments I only rec'd one upgrade (to be fair, four of those legs were on RJs). A year ago, I received upgrades maybe 75% of the time, but I'm only SE, so I shouldn't complain.
However, if you are ticketed for First class anyway, you won't have to concern yourself about upgrades.
Welcome to FT
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:53 am
RTG

Programs: SWA - DL - Diamond - 1MM, A List, Marriott - Plat - Lifetime, AmEx - Plat, AAA, Avis - Preferred
Welcome. I would generally say it is worth it. However, if you normally buy first class tickets, you won't be as concerned with the upgrades. What you will find the best value are the points. You can use them to obtain a ticket some where you would not normally go. Maybe like a first class ticket to Europe.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
We live about half way between DTW and FNT and last year we were booked on an evening flight where it was cost effective to do FNT-MSP rather than DTW-FNT. Our flight on an RJ got scrubbed due to a mechanical problem and everyone had to rebook with the GA for the next day. He put us on a flight out of DTW that got us to MSP on time for our event and put us in FC and rebooked our return so that it was to DTW, not FNT (where our car wouldn't have been) !

The fact we are SE may have helped, but you never know for sure.

Bob H
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:44 am

Programs: WorldPerks
If you don't plan on getting Gold, then it's not worth it. Silver doesn't provide too much extra.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: NWA Lowly Silver ; Priceline Whore
Can't Speak For The Previous Poster's Experience..

But I clear my upgrades around 80% of the time as a silver. Even travelling tomorrow (probably a fairly busy travel day), I have cleared my upgrades 24 hours in advance.

Even if I don't get the upgrade, I like boarding first... I like being able to select premium seats like 5F (almost first class... for my feet at least).. I like being able to use the Silver Elite line and not having to wait 38 minutes to connect to a phone agent when I need assistance.

I think it's well worth it.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: NW Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I concur, since becoming silver earlier this month I am 6 for 7 in upgrades after checking my seat assignment today for my saturday trip and finding it in first class.
Also, unless you book last minute, I figure the worst you will get is exit row and IMHO, thats not soo bad
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:09 am

This is my first year with NW Silver and I'd say it is definitely worth it. I hit silver a few months ago and almost always get upgraded BUT I'm mostly flying for work - Friday - Sunday so perhaps upgrades are easier on those days.

Lots of First seats on NW flight vs. US flights.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: *
I suggest in addition to the replies you get that you do a search as this topic has been discussed extensively on several previous occasions, so you will likely find some very useful information (indeed you will likely find answers to all your questions) from earlier threads.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
whoot! it's well worth it for this silver!

I'm ex-MSY but needless to say I am frequently routed through DTW and I have been very happy with the upgrades. Since acheiving status I've only missed one uprade on one leg (MSP-LAS) and of course there are no upgrades on the CRJs but other than that it has been great. Many upgrades come at the gate. I also got upgraded on the one Continental trip I've taken since turning Silver.

Unfortunately they *just* switched the first class breakfast to a truly nasty Egg McMuffin type fake egg and sausage thingy that I can't eat so the advantage of not having to haul along my breakfast because I have an upgrade is all over with. Maybe if enough of us complain they'll change it back to something edible? But that's my only real gripe.

I just ran the numbers and after my next trip in July, I will be only 406 miles away from Gold. If Gold really does get you substantially more I would be completely bowled over. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by bowdenj
This is my first year with NW Silver and I'd say it is definitely worth it. I hit silver a few months ago and almost always get upgraded BUT I'm mostly flying for work - Friday - Sunday so perhaps upgrades are easier on those days.

Lots of First seats on NW flight vs. US flights.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:25 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Silver got me hooked and now I've been GOld for the last 2 years....I'm afraid I'll be Silver next year though...come on lotto!!

Anyways, as Silver I was about 50% upgrades from MSY ( a bit easier market on NW to EUA) but then also was flying CO lots during that time and also did pretty well. Going DTW-FLL is a nice long flight to enjoy FC. There is no guarentee for FC with Silver, but then you'll still get 50% bonus miles and the Silver Elite line to call into (less waiting for an agent). I say go for it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.