Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

CEO Steenland says NW & other legacy airline must be more like LCC to stay aloft

CEO Steenland says NW & other legacy airline must be more like LCC to stay aloft

Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

Gee didn't see that one coming at all with the recent pretzel & magazine decisions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439480
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:05 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
madness

Anyone who wants to fly a LCC airline can and will fly a LCC. The only way to compete in my humble opinion is to offer a quality product so people are happy to pay a little more.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Gee didn't see that one coming at all with the recent pretzel & magazine decisions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439480
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Not if the planes keep looking like this!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO One Pass Nothing, SPG Gold
CO gives great service and if I recall there is a post on the CO forum saying it looks like they've got some profit in the near future.

NW needs to quit the knee jerk reactions and start figuring out a long term plan to stay afloat. Slashing services to quickly decrease losses will help the stock in the short term, but will destory the airline in the long run.

Matt
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:37 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
Hmm, Lets see... What does NWA have that LCC don't. FC!! Could this be next on the cutting block?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
In talking about pensions and benefits, Steenland is obviously posturing to the unions, not the flying public
Old Jun 5, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by sh9168
Hmm, Lets see... What does NWA have that LCC don't. FC!! Could this be next on the cutting block?
Get rid of FC and lose this former Continental Platinum Elite. As well as 90% of the rest of the other FT elites here I suspect.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by sh9168
Except Airtran and America West, which definitely have a "first" class. That said, I expect at least one major to abandon domestic first class in the next couple of years.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by yogimax
In talking about pensions and benefits, Steenland is obviously posturing to the unions, not the flying public
Not with his final statement of; "Northwest must have a "relentless focus" on reducing costs, Steenland said. "Our labor costs are too high by any measure."

I hope Steenland was talking about his managment!!!!
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:43 am

It's actually the Y product where they need to compete. Most flyers are not elite or even actually think about sitting in FC. However, if they can fly Y for the same fare and get PTV, leather seats, and more pitch then that's where they will go.

But I do agree more like LCC's means less cost per mile for the airline. But the LCC's costs will go up over time as planes need increasingly expensive maintenance checks, salaries increase over time, computers need upgrading etc. All these might eventually put pressure on the LCC's.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Have to be more like LCCs, huh? Does that also include not charging $400-500 RT for short hauls to Montana or North Dakota? Or will they wait for actual competition before there's relief on prices there?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Originally Posted by happymob
That said, I expect at least one major to abandon domestic first class in the next couple of years.
That would be Delta with their Song product as they are already moving transcon service over to Song LCC type aircraft. Look for the transition to increase everywhere except for here at CVG. Everytime we get even some small regional LCC, DL runs them out by undercutting the cheaper fares. So this NWA elite doesn't even have a LCC alternative to choose from like many others.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:23 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
My signature line speaks volumes.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
dont ya miss him

Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Insteadof competing with other world carriers Doug is fighting it out with pip-squeak regional carriers. tommorrow he talks to congress, should be quite interesting. Those hardball, get the vote congressmen are going to roll their eyes back in their heads. They will look at doug as a little weasel
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
I'm starting to think believing anything any airline CEO's says is folly. Like politicians, most will say whatever they think fits the moment and when the moment passes, as Gordo Bethune was a master of, say exactly the opposite. This week it's how NW should emulate the LCC crowd but next month it'll be how different NW is from the same crowd. We should require airline CEO's to be permanently hooked-up to a polygraph machine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.