Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

paper towels as napkins in F out of HNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2005, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat

i flew MSP-HNL in F on the DC10. great service, great meals, hot towels, addressed by name, very attentive FAs. a great start to the trip.

i returned last night HNL-SEA-MSP. the HNL-SEA segment was on the DC10, in F again. no choice for meal this time, and the plastic silverware (i guess i should call it plasticware) was wrapped in a bounty paper towel! there were no cloth napkins on this flight, simply a paper towel folded nice and neat. (albeit a thick papertowel). both my travelling companion and i were shocked. (there were also bagels loaded for a flight leaving at 115pm).

i hope the pax in WBC to NRT that left right after our flight werent given paper towels as well...

first spinzels, and now napkins....
Old May 28, 2005, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had paper towels in FC on all my flights last week.
Old May 28, 2005, 7:19 am

The introduction of "plinen" started with the reduction in domestic F service at the beginning of May.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=plinen

By the way, I have West Coast <--> HNL flights set for next week. Do they still offer a choice of entrees in F on the HNL flights? Do they still do sundaes? Would you eat your F meal on the flight out of HNL (given what we've read about Gate Gourmet)?

My guess is
1) no
2) no
3) depends on if I want to take a chance on my life

Last edited by DJMeatBall; May 28, 2005 at 7:21 am
Old May 28, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta murdered it. RIP WorldPerks
I'm doing the late MSP-HNL on Memorial Day and returning via the early HNL-MSP on April 10, and I'll have a chance to see how badly the "premium" Hawaii service has degraded. You can expect another lengthy trip report to follow at least the outbound...

I'll take bets that the pictures I took in that thread are the last we'll see of silverware, linens, and taste. I understand some people are adamant that the silverware change is temporary...but as they've eliminated all coach meals, and charged for pretzels, and made an already anemic first class even less desirable, does anybody really believe that?
Old May 28, 2005, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
By the way, I have West Coast <--> HNL flights set for next week. Do they still offer a choice of entrees in F on the HNL flights? Do they still do sundaes? Would you eat your F meal on the flight out of HNL (given what we've read about Gate Gourmet)?

My guess is
1) no
2) no
3) depends on if I want to take a chance on my life
The last time I took a NW 757 out/into HNL was back in March (2x: LAX-HNL, HNL-PDX). On the first, I received the same hot towel service, meal choice, ice cream sundae and cookies/milk. On the return, there was only a small snack and drink service upon arrival (HNL-PDX is a red-eye). Unless things have drastically changed since then, it should be the same.

Also, Gate Gourmet has since received a passing grade out of HNL--but it's still at your own risk...
Old May 28, 2005, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rmyadsk
I'm doing the late MSP-HNL on Memorial Day and returning via the early HNL-MSP on April 10, and I'll have a chance to see how badly the "premium" Hawaii service has degraded. You can expect another lengthy trip report to follow at least the outbound...

I'll take bets that the pictures I took in that thread are the last we'll see of silverware, linens, and taste. I understand some people are adamant that the silverware change is temporary...but as they've eliminated all coach meals, and charged for pretzels, and made an already anemic first class even less desirable, does anybody really believe that?
I believe that linens will one day come back. I took MSP-HNL a few weeks ago and received the same service as always, granted there were plastic silverware. Otherwise, nothing else had changed from the usual.
Old May 28, 2005, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
On the return, there was only a small snack and drink service upon arrival (HNL-PDX is a red-eye).
I did the HNL-PDX redeye back in late December and for the "snack" we had the chicken/mayo dijon-salad thing along with a roll and chocolate cake. I don't remember if we had a salad with it, though. Definitely a lot of food before trying to sleep for the night, but still much appreciated.

Has this gone away to a "small" snack?
Old May 28, 2005, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rmyadsk
I did the HNL-PDX redeye back in late December and for the "snack" we had the chicken/mayo dijon-salad thing along with a roll and chocolate cake. I don't remember if we had a salad with it, though. Definitely a lot of food before trying to sleep for the night, but still much appreciated.

Has this gone away to a "small" snack?
No, I think it was a weird rice dish, but still somewhat of a meal--no choice on the meal. It's listed as "snack" on nwa.com, but more like what you would find in F on domestic NW flights.
Old May 28, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
It's a matter of cost -- Can't offer additional amenities below cost

NW is reducing domestic FC service including to HNL because they are still losing $$$ and can't afford to continue to lose money every quarter.

I recently was in WBC to FCO returning from CDG and international WBC still has an elaborate meal service.

The cutbacks are only on domestic FC and coach.

RC
Old May 29, 2005, 8:21 am

Lightbulb How far can/will NW cut?

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
NW is reducing domestic FC service including to HNL because they are still losing $$$ and can't afford to continue to lose money every quarter.

I recently was in WBC to FCO returning from CDG and international WBC still has an elaborate meal service.

The cutbacks are only on domestic FC and coach.

RC
With the picture that I see you painting, I wonder if it would make sense to adopt a Southwest/JetBlue attitude on domestic NW flights then? At the rate that NW has chopped its domestic F service in the past 3-4 years it would not be that far of a cut at this point.

I do agree that NW cannot continue to loose revenue. What scares me is the knee-jerk reactionary’s that seem to dominate the management ranks. It’s easy to cut services and not look for the real reason behind the sucking sounds of lost revenue. But with that type of limited thinking they will soon cut the services that set them apart from other airlines just a few short years ago.
Old May 31, 2005, 1:10 am

Good news on my recent MSP-HNL trip. Here is the full trip report.
Old May 31, 2005, 4:13 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Plinen: Remember to check your dipstick

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
The introduction of "plinen" started with the reduction in domestic F service at the beginning of May.

I just had my first "plinen" experience yesterday on NW, on a PDX>MSP flight. I kept the "plinen" napkin, cause it reminded me I need to check the oil in the Ford when I get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.