BYOM: Bring Your Own Magazines

Old May 28, 2005, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by abezebabe
I fly from IND, and NWA is my airline of choice. While I certainly do not fly on every plane leaving from IND, I've been on quite a few this year, and since the mini-hub changes, and I have not been on ONE half-empty plane. FWIW.
In total agreement there, in the past 4 years or so, I have never, and I mean never worked a flight out of IND that wasn't capacity or very close. The same applies to MKE.

Just remember, these cuts are "what the customer wants".

Also, absolutely true. The flying public has overwhelmingly said that they want cheap tickets, cheaper tickets, and bus fare tickets. This is impossible to provide without sacrificing amenities. You want Southwest caliber, you got it.

Either NWA should tell their cleaners to keep them stocked, or NWA should rip out the magazine storage bins

Cleaners? What cleaners? Most of these employees were cut from the program long ago. It is now some outsourced service, we are fortunate if they show up. Restock magazines? Yeah, okay. Rip out the magazine racks? A bit harsh, no? The reason the selection leaves much to be desired is the simple fact that passengers keep them. Check a magazine rack at the beginning of the publishing month. Packed full.

Reducing these amenities does not guarantee that the fares will be lower, you're correct there, however, they will remain competitive with LCC's. Who I might add, are not operating on the scale that NWA is by any stretch of the imagination. You want a legacy carrier that provides domestic and international service, with fine cuisine and top-notch amenities, but at prices of a greyhound fare. It's just not possible to operate an airline of NWA's size, fleet and operation, in today's ecomomy, this way.
Old May 28, 2005, 6:48 pm

Comment #1
Originally Posted by nwaflygirl
The flying public has overwhelmingly said that they want cheap tickets, cheaper tickets, and bus fare tickets.
Comment #2
Reducing these amenities does not guarantee that the fares will be lower, you're correct there, however, they will remain competitive with LCC's.
Comment #1 contradicts comment #2. If passengers want cheap fares, then the only way to be "competitive" is to reduce fares. If reducing amenities will not lower fares, then one cannot associate amenities with the thought that customers only want low fares.
Old May 28, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by keithguy
Comment #1

Comment #2

Comment #1 contradicts comment #2. If passengers want cheap fares, then the only way to be "competitive" is to reduce fares. If reducing amenities will not lower fares, then one cannot associate amenities with the thought that customers only want low fares.
Well, no. If revenues do not exceed costs, then the airlines are losing money, right? And we can agree that if they do not make any money, that in the long run, they will cease to exist, right? In order to make money, revenues have to exceed costs. In the current state of the industry, revenues do not exceed costs, and the airlines are losing money. There is no incentive to reduce revenues, and in the current climate, if they cannot INCREASE revenues, they have to cut costs. Nothing more and nothing less. Cutting costs today helps maintain tommorrow's fare structure, but it is impossible to *KNOW* what will happen with future fares if costs aren't cut today.
Old May 28, 2005, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
This was an agreement between NWA and KLM when they first signed up to share expenses/profits on the TATL route.... I heard that agreement is amendable next year... so free drinks could be coming to and end sooner than you think... all the other majors charge for it in coach. If they dropped spintzels to save a lousy 2 mil, you don't think alcohol is firmly in their cost cutting sights???

The no magazine krap is a lousy excuse... with the adverts that they wrap them with, i really wonder how much it costs....
Wrong. It is the AMERICAN majors that cut out free alcohol, not the European majors. With the carriers on this side of the pond in a race to see who can provide the crappiest service, is it any wonder that many of the European carriers (like AF which had a profit of about $450 milliion in the year ending March 31, 2005) are profitable while US-based carrriers are bleeding red ink?
Old May 28, 2005, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by DHAST
Well, no. If revenues do not exceed costs, then the airlines are losing money, right? And we can agree that if they do not make any money, that in the long run, they will cease to exist, right? In order to make money, revenues have to exceed costs. In the current state of the industry, revenues do not exceed costs, and the airlines are losing money. There is no incentive to reduce revenues, and in the current climate, if they cannot INCREASE revenues, they have to cut costs. Nothing more and nothing less. Cutting costs today helps maintain tommorrow's fare structure, but it is impossible to *KNOW* what will happen with future fares if costs aren't cut today.

Exactly. I was referencing a previous statement in a previous post regarding lower fares. Fares ARE lower now than what they would have been if not for the current industry climate and competition. In order to continue to offer said fares, cuts must come from other places ie. amenities.
Old May 28, 2005, 10:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Post Possible "workaround" if anyone wants to try...

I always bring my own reading material so will not miss the "no magazines" on the planes and I don't belong to WCs... but for those of you who do not bring your own reading material and do belong to the WCs and enjoyed reading those magazines provided, would something along the following be possible?

I know that this works as I have done it in the past, for both my Dr's, Dentist's and my wife's OB/GYN's office (we recently had a baby and after my first visit I was bored out of my mind in the waiting room - no interesting magazines). I order some of these magazines (all appropriate - SCUBA, Go Boating, Money, Budget Living, etc) and have them delivered to their addresses to help offset all the Working Woman and People magazines that they have.
Would it be possible to do the same for your favorite WC? Granted I don't think you will find the Economist in the list, but you should be able to find at least one that you might be slightly interested in skimming through. Plus just imagine, a copy of Big Rig Owner or Assets to freshen up the appearance of your WC.
Seriously though... Just enter "Free" as the first name and "Subscription" as the Last Name when you are filling out the required information. That way when the magazine is delivered the person who picks it up will be able to look at the address label and know that they will not be billed for it.
Be sure to provide a fake (either a truly fake or at least one that you have created to catch spam) email address when asked.

Free Yearly Magazine Subscriptions

You could always enter FlyerTalk as the first/last name, so other FT'ers will know who generously provided said magazine.

Anyways, just an idea for anyone who wants to give it a try.

Last edited by infinityplusone; May 28, 2005 at 11:00 pm
Old May 29, 2005, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by abezebabe
I fly from IND, and NWA is my airline of choice. While I certainly do not fly on every plane leaving from IND, I've been on quite a few this year, and since the mini-hub changes, and I have not been on ONE half-empty plane. FWIW.

NW has been giving away tickets to/from IND. For example low to mid $200's to the West Coast on a consistent basis. Just because those planes are full doesn't mean NW is making any money on them.
Old May 31, 2005, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Another PR blunder, IMHO at least.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:31 am

Here is the real reason on the magazines. The vendors have always provided the magazines for free. They are no longer providing them for free. This would be a rather large cost for NWA to purchase them only to have most of them removed after only one flight. This is a cost issue.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Marriott Gold, AsiaMiles
Magazines, Pretzels and SkyCap Service.....

An article I just saw...

Northwest cuts magazines to save money

In yet another effort to cut its non-labour costs, Northwest Airlines has stopped stocking Newsweek, Glamour and other magazines on its planes and in its passenger club lounges.

Cutting magazine subscriptions out of the budget will save the airline 310,000 ($565,000) in the coming year, said Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch.

World Traveler, Northwest's monthly in-house magazine, will still be available, reported Associated Press.

"Give me a break," said passenger Troy Feldpausch, who often travels on Northwest as a software training consultant. "This is unbelievable (and) ridiculous. I guess I'll just bring my own magazines."

Northwest, the nation's fourth-largest airline, lost 252 million ($458m) in the last quarter alone and has been struggling with high fuel costs and tough labour negotiations.

Last week, Northwest said that on June 9 it will drop complimentary pretzel snacks on all domestic flights.

Blunder

Terry Trippler, a Minneapolis-based travel analyst, said Northwest might be making a public relations blunder.

"There is absolutely a point where you can take too much away from the customers," Trippler said.

Northwest is also proposing 1.10 ($2) per-bag fee for skycap service. About 15% of Northwest passengers use the skycap baggage-check service where it is available. The skycap service handles about 4 million bags a year.

United Airlines has had success with its recent fee for skycap baggage checks in Seattle, so Northwest is running a trial fee in that city this month to see how passengers react.

Northwest will also try to assess its possible savings and the impact the fee has on baggage checks at self-service terminals and ticket counters. Historically, skycap baggage checks have been free, but it's customary to tip the baggage handlers.

"I don't think it will work," said Bobby De Pace, president of District 143 of the International Association of Machinists, which represents most Northwest ground workers. "People won't pay." If it does work, he said, it would cost skycaps their tips.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:34 am

Programs: DL
The Knight-Ridder story also has a glance with the article stating NW might begin charging (is testing in Seattle now) $2 for the handling of checked bags curbside.

Bad, bad idea. Already enough folks are lugging carry-ons that don't belong on a plane and cramming them into the overhead compartment (God forbid people use the space in front of the seat). I can't imagine how bad it will get if Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public, with their 2.5 kids, attempt to carry on bags for their week's vacation at Granny's.

Personally, I have never read an in-flight magazine other than the airlines' own -- too outdated, poor selection -- and wouldn't think of flying w/o bringing my own in-flight entertainment.

Pet peeve: the wording of "free drinks." I don't view any of the amenenities as being "free." Sure, there's no additional charge, but when I have coughed up $300 for a plane ticket, I consider the small bag of pretzels and the half-can of soft drink something I have already paid for. Ditto for the baggage handling.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Darby
NW has been giving away tickets to/from IND. For example low to mid $200's to the West Coast on a consistent basis. Just because those planes are full doesn't mean NW is making any money on them.
To keep the flavor of the OP, bring a book. It is the cheapest investment in recreation you will ever make!! I fly often, very often and have never once seen any one read one of the NW provided magazines. Once or twice a month I will see the occasional person going back to coach who stops to thumb through them. Even at that, I cant remember any one taking one.

IND is my home airport and I am still waiting to find one of the elusive low to mid $200.00s west coast fares. Like baby pigeons, I am quite sure they are out there but have yet to see one.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:39 am
RTG

Programs: SWA - DL - Diamond - 1MM, A List, Marriott - Plat - Lifetime, AmEx - Plat, AAA, Avis - Preferred
Originally Posted by GTITAN
OMG you have to be kidding? In the world clubs as well? Is this really going to save that much money? Unbelievable!
I heard this morning that it would save over $500K annually.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 6:44 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
i have not seen a magazine on AA in 3 years at least - you all really need to get over it.

Your pillows are next....

Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
i have not seen a magazine on AA in 3 years at least - you all really need to get over it.

Your pillows are next....

err, pillow are gone on most flights. Question is now do I want to continue to fly a budget carrier such as Northwest with it's new policy of grabbing passengers by the ankles and shaking until all the coins have fallen out of our pockets, or should I switch to an airline that provides true passenger care and amenties such as Jetblue or Frontier .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.