No more smoking at WC in MSP

Old Apr 18, 05, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Plt,AA ExPlt,UA Pre,USAir Gld,*wood Plat, HIL Gld, Hyatt Gld, PriorityCl Plt, Marriot Silv
No more smoking at WC in MSP

the conference room that the MSP WC use to use for smokers(so glad my wife quit) has finally been closed to smoking. the conference room has a sign on it saying that effective March 31, due to Hennepin County smokefree law, this lounge can no longer be used for smoking.

Happened to be sitting in one of the work cubes next to the door and see a lot of folks running down the isle to the conf room only to be stopped in their tracks. I'm getting less work done, but its kind of fun to see these folks with jaws dropped reading, rereadind, and reading the sign again to see if there is some loophole in anyway.
Old Apr 18, 05, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The WC in DTW still has it (thankfully!) - however, if they change that, then one can always slip in/out via the Westin - the security line there is always empty.
Old Apr 18, 05, 6:51 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
go Hennepin County!
Old Apr 18, 05, 7:15 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
I thought the ban didn't start until 2006?
Old Apr 18, 05, 7:21 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite
What a joke, kind of like Boston where you're accused of a felony if you light up (I don't smoke).

I guess smokers will always have MEM.
Old Apr 18, 05, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO One Pass Nothing, SPG Gold
Lol...a guy sitting next to me on a flight next week said if he had the money he would start an ALL SMOKING airline...haha. I wonder how that would go over?
Old Apr 19, 05, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Smoke from the conference room used to drift in the work space area. It will probably take a few years for the smoke to clear out of that room!
Old Apr 19, 05, 7:56 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Sliver, Mariott Silver
Sorry smokers
Old Apr 19, 05, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
An excellent move by NW. It's just too bad it took a law by Hennepin County to force the change
Old Apr 19, 05, 9:38 am

When I smoked, I appreciated that room. I agree that the smoke did leave the room- you could smell it quite a ways out.
A simple exhaust fan would have been great- they didn't add any way to exhaust all of that smoke. I used to laugh that I didn't even need to light up- just walk into the room and inhale.
As a non smoker I am on one hand glad that the smell is gone, on the other hand still feel for those that do smoke. SLC has smoking rooms in each concourse- there is great ventilation and I smelled nothing walking by. LAX T3 has the best idea- an outdoor atrium near the gates.
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
live and let live

Originally Posted by frankc98376
When I smoked, I appreciated that room. I agree that the smoke did leave the room- you could smell it quite a ways out.
A simple exhaust fan would have been great- they didn't add any way to exhaust all of that smoke. I used to laugh that I didn't even need to light up- just walk into the room and inhale.
As a non smoker I am on one hand glad that the smell is gone, on the other hand still feel for those that do smoke. SLC has smoking rooms in each concourse- there is great ventilation and I smelled nothing walking by. LAX T3 has the best idea- an outdoor atrium near the gates.
Nice to see someone be realistic on this thread. I believe the OPs message was to alert other folks with a short connection so they could duck outside before walking to the club only to find a message from Henne-pinhead. Besides this thread degeneratating into the pros and cons of smoking; what bothers me most is this. The Worldclub is a private club. The county wants to stick their nose in. Whats next? A referee in your bedroom when the lights go out? Heaven forbid if they found out about the lapdancers in conference room X NW depends on a large crowd from asia and they're smokers. Dont be surprised if they stop selling one day passes at msp. then the club will be totally PRIVATE. There was a time that people could smoke throughout the club(and the terminal too) As a gesture to the non smokers the smokers were herded into a conference room. Now it seems thats not good enough. In regard to the bigger exaust fan, good idea. Problem is that when you open the door the stench of politically correct whiners fills up the smoking room
Old Apr 19, 05, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
"Problem is that when you open the door the stench of politically correct whiners fills up the smoking room [/QUOTE]"

Might it be possible in this case that "politically correct" = "absolutely correct"?
Old Apr 19, 05, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by yogimax
"Problem is that when you open the door the stench of politically correct whiners fills up the smoking room
"

Might it be possible in this case that "politically correct" = "absolutely correct"?[/QUOTE] BTW my post was a joke dont get aroused. with the new security they should do something. its only common sense they have an out door cage at tampa too. I would rather got outside in a cage in msp in 40 degree below zero than have to go through an extra sec check.
Old Apr 19, 05, 12:52 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Originally Posted by rwill11
Besides this thread degeneratating into the pros and cons of smoking; what bothers me most is this. The Worldclub is a private club.
EVERY informational thread about smoking degenrates into a discussion/argument about smoking itself. It's kind of like bee's to honey or something like that. Heaven forbid someone just gives information such as the OP.
Old Apr 19, 05, 5:29 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
The WC in DTW still has it (thankfully!) - however, if they change that, then one can always slip in/out via the Westin - the security line there is always empty.
If the one in DTW goes, I suspect NW will lose some WorldClub customers. This may not be a bad thing as the WC's are overcrowed, but from a revenue standpoint I know of many people who have WC memberships only because of the smoking facility at DTW (and previously MSP).

Additionally, the smoking room at the DTW WC gets a lot of usage before and after the NRT/NGO/KIX flights, plus gets high usage with pax from some of the European flights where a larger # of people smoke. Regardless of what people think about smoking, I suspect it could hurt NW.

FWIW, I believe the Fox Sports Bar also has a smoking area at DTW, but I've never been in there (I overheard DTW TSA talking about it). There's also the Westin, which does mean a trip through security, but at least options exist at DTW, whereas no options other than a trip outside exist at MSP.

Last but not least, by closing down the last few places to smoke behind security, more people will be exiting and re-entering security at hub airports just to have a smoke on a layover, which will result in longer lines and use of more security resources.

In the end, people will still have to travel, smoking area or no smoking area, but when airside smoking areas get closed, the result will be more people going outside and then having to re-clear security -- which ultimately taxes the system at "hub" airport security checkpoints, IMHO.

SDF_Traveler

Search this Thread