Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

PDX's New WorldClub & Note to NWA Management

Old Apr 17, 05, 10:05 am
Original Poster

The new WorldClub at PDX is awesome, beautiful and one of the best I've seen. It's not large, but it's at least as nice as the DTW WC. It's in the D concourse and is in the second floor overlooking the walkways through the concourse. Also, due to Oregon law, there's a full-time bartender who'll make whatever you'd like at the lounge.

Here's the problem. (NOTE TO NWA MANAGEMENT)
You're not likely to find this place on your own. There are no signs in the walkway whatsoever. We found it by accident. It's off a hallway next to the Wendy's fastfood. There's a sign IN the hallway, but that doesn't help much. Once you're in the hallway you don't know where to go. We pushed on an unmarked steel-yellow door that looked like it might've been an exit of some type. Then we were met with an Emergency Exit sign to our left and an unmarked stairwell (going up) to our right. We cautiously went up the stairs, then the next flight, and sure enough we found ourselves in the WC entrance. We mentioned the sign problem to the staff and they agreed, "we're hoping management does something about that". All that money for the club and no signs... Hmm.

If you're in PDX you can enjoy the club and help keep it around.
If you're up for WC renewal and your going through PDX on NWA stop by and renew at this club. The staff at the club are tracked in large part by the number of accesses _and_ renewals done at the club. It doesn't cost anything extra to renew and it will help keep this club alive.
Old Apr 17, 05, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by davevi
The new WorldClub at PDX is awesome, beautiful and one of the best I've seen. It's not large, but it's at least as nice as the DTW WC. It's in the D concourse and is in the second floor overlooking the walkways through the concourse. Also, due to Oregon law, there's a full-time bartender who'll make whatever you'd like at the lounge.

Here's the problem. (NOTE TO NWA MANAGEMENT)
You're not likely to find this place on your own. There are no signs in the walkway whatsoever. We found it by accident. It's off a hallway next to the Wendy's fastfood. There's a sign IN the hallway, but that doesn't help much. Once you're in the hallway you don't know where to go. We pushed on an unmarked steel-yellow door that looked like it might've been an exit of some type. Then we were met with an Emergency Exit sign to our left and an unmarked stairwell (going up) to our right. We cautiously went up the stairs, then the next flight, and sure enough we found ourselves in the WC entrance. We mentioned the sign problem to the staff and they agreed, "we're hoping management does something about that". All that money for the club and no signs... Hmm.

If you're in PDX you can enjoy the club and help keep it around.
If you're up for WC renewal and your going through PDX on NWA stop by and renew at this club. The staff at the club are tracked in large part by the number of accesses _and_ renewals done at the club. It doesn't cost anything extra to renew and it will help keep this club alive.

As long as there is nonstop service to Asia out of PDX...that club will be in operation. They need it for the WBC passengers. But signage would definitely help.
Old Apr 17, 05, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I think the existence of this club is a function of the PDX-NRT flight. If they bag that flight, the club will go too.
Old Apr 17, 05, 11:24 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I think the existence of this club is a function of the PDX-NRT flight. If they bag that flight, the club will go too.
I believe you're absolutely correct. As to the OP, I agree about the lack of signage for the club. I was in PDX back in January and upon arrival from MSP I started to look for the club to pop in and check it out -- couldn't find it. I finally asked and was given directions to it, but the signage needs improving.

Once up in the club it was empty. There was one other passenger in there, but I will agree this is a nice club on par with DTW. A few days later when I departed PDX I was on an early MSP flight, but the lounge did not open until 30 minutes prior to pushback. There was a line of people outside the club trying to get in who were on early flights out of PDX. Several people couldn't be bothered waiting when they went by and saw the opening time, but I managed to wait with others until opening time, went in for 10 minutes and then went back down & boarded my flight.

Unless the hours have changed since January, I really believe they should open the club 30 minutes earlier to allow pax on the early AM departures to use it, get coffee, and relax for a few.

SDF_Traveler
Old Apr 18, 05, 12:50 am

How does NWA's new lounge compare with UAL's RCC at PDX?
Old Apr 18, 05, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I posted a "club report" on the PDX WorldClub last June, just after it opened (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=PDX). Some comments on this new post:

- Re finding the club:

In last June's post, I reported:

"The club is very discreetly marked (I happened to notice it on a PDX terminal map, and actually found it open -- much to my surprise, as I thought it was opening weeks in the future). It's upstairs, with an elevator provided from the concourse level near gate 6 or 7."

After I spotted it on the concourse map, I proceeded to the location indicated, and turned into a small "stub" hallway off the main concourse; at that point I had just two choices, both with no sign - an elevator or a staircase behind a steel door. I reasoned the staircase could not be the main entrance as it would support neither wheelchair customers nor ambulatory customers with large carryon luggage (rollaboards) -- thus I concluded the elevator must be the proper entrance, and it did indeed transport one directly to the WC reception desk.

I attributed the lack of signage to the newness of the club -- but apparently this still has not been rectified 10 months later. OTH, one should probably not expect a sequence of large signs directing one down the concourse all the way to the WorldClub -- with the exception of hub airports, airline club locations are usually very discreetly marked (ie usually nothing to lead you there -- just a small sign next to the club entrance indicating the nature of the club (ie "Members Only") and the opening hours.

Anyways, as I indicated in my June report, it's such a wonderful club, it's worth the effort to find it !

- Re PDX-NRT loads:

Also, in my June post, I reported:

"the PDX-NRT flight was flying completely full each and every day since it's startup on June 10 (and this without any "real" fare sale by the NW to introduce the service"

Does the NRT flight still depart and return completely full each day ?
Old Apr 18, 05, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I've talked to a couple of people who have taken it recently and they have said that it's been pretty much full each way. A seat open here and there, not 100%, but pretty darn solid.
Old Apr 18, 05, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I'd say the best part of the PDX WC is the free WiFi. So what if it's airport-wide; it still provides a nice place to sip a bev. and post on Flyertalk while waiting for flights.

Search this Thread