NW Airbus 330's

Old Apr 16, 05, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
NW Airbus 330's

I am heading to Europe this summer, will be on the SEA-AMS flight, connecting on to GLA. We're on a A330-300, in coach. I was on an Aer Lingus A330 a couple years ago, also in coach. Seats were fine despite being a long flight from ORD-DUB. Has NW got anything different on their new A330's? I understand no in-seat entertainment video screens. Just wondering so I can be prepared as much as possible. I am a DL flyer most of the time, but glad to be on a SkyTeam partner for DL miles!
Old Apr 16, 05, 2:01 pm

Location: NW WP Gold Elite 2003 - 2005, Silver Elite - 2006 Southgate, MI, USA
All NW A330's have AVOD entertainment in coach. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 16, 05, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, TK-Elite, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by jetguy727
I am heading to Europe this summer, will be on the SEA-AMS flight, connecting on to GLA. We're on a A330-300, in coach. I was on an Aer Lingus A330 a couple years ago, also in coach. Seats were fine despite being a long flight from ORD-DUB. Has NW got anything different on their new A330's? I understand no in-seat entertainment video screens. Just wondering so I can be prepared as much as possible. I am a DL flyer most of the time, but glad to be on a SkyTeam partner for DL miles!
The NW A330s are awesome. Every seat (coach and WBC) has PTVs with on demand videos, music, games...tons of stuff to keep you occupied. I think maybe you were confusing the old NW DC10s that don't have PTVs in coach. You will enjoy your flight on the new A330s though.
Old Apr 16, 05, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
Select your seats at 90 days before departure on nwa.com

To optimize your comfort on this long flight, I would recommend selecting your seats at 90 days prior to departure. That is the ealiest you can book your seats on NW.

RC
Old Apr 16, 05, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
Thank you all for your replies about the NW A330's - that gives me some indication of what to expect now! I was dreading 10 hours with only a couple general movies in the main cabin! I'm passing along the info to others on this trip.
Old Apr 16, 05, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jetguy727
Thank you all for your replies about the NW A330's - that gives me some indication of what to expect now! I was dreading 10 hours with only a couple general movies in the main cabin! I'm passing along the info to others on this trip.
Don't forget www.seatguru.com
Old Apr 16, 05, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
And don't forget AC power!

Originally Posted by tcook052
Don't forget www.seatguru.com
NW and Seatguru hardy note it, but the A330 has AC power in the first 10 rows of coach + WBC! Bring your iPod charger, laptop, etc.!
Old Apr 17, 05, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, TK-Elite, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by nroscoe
NW and Seatguru hardy note it, but the A330 has AC power in the first 10 rows of coach + WBC! Bring your iPod charger, laptop, etc.!
...with the normal outlets, so you don't need adapters.
Old Apr 17, 05, 1:05 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nroscoe
Bring your iPod charger
Brilliant! I never thought of that, and I always get annoyed when the battery dies mid-way through the trip.
Old Apr 18, 05, 2:05 am

I have flown on IE from ORD to DUB oodles of times (full fare and non-rev). All times I have sat in coach. Entertainment is FAR SUPERIOR to IE on our A330s, but food service is around the same. IE FAs DISAPPEAR for the flight between services. They even make an announcement that pax should not bother the FAs in the back galley, for they are on break. NWA's A330s have lavatories in the rear of their planes, IE's do not.

I think there is more legroom on IE's A330 planes in coach compared to NWA's.
Old Jul 8, 05, 12:42 pm

NW A330 seats

Hello, we am travelling (not on mileage) from Seattle to Amsterdam aboard Northwest's A330-300. We are two tall adults, one of which is 6'2" and 250 pounds. Like everyone else, we are looking for comfort and legroom for the long trip. A look at seatguru.com shows that exit rows and maybe bulkhead are the best options but since those seats are only possibly available to us at check-in time, we are scouting out other seating options. Where do tall and big people sit comfortably? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 05, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by yameyer
Hello, we am travelling (not on mileage) from Seattle to Amsterdam aboard Northwest's A330-300. We are two tall adults, one of which is 6'2" and 250 pounds. Like everyone else, we are looking for comfort and legroom for the long trip. A look at seatguru.com shows that exit rows and maybe bulkhead are the best options but since those seats are only possibly available to us at check-in time, we are scouting out other seating options. Where do tall and big people sit comfortably? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

In First Class or in the rear bathrooms!

I have been on many of these flights in last 3 months and I can tell you that it will be very cramped unless you get in the exit rows (bulkhead is ok but not great). I'm 6'4" and 175 pounds. I sat in the exit row each time and was very glad I did...I checked out the seat in the back that seatguru.com says is a good seat (41g i think), but even that seat looked cramped...

I would say it is a LITTLE better than the rest of regular coach seats, but not by much.

I would think your chances of getting an exit row if you are not elite are between 0% and 0%, I know on my flights they were always full (and many times were full close to 90 days out).

Maybe some Ambien will knock you out!

Good luck.
Old Jul 8, 05, 3:51 pm

Thanks for the info. Guess we will just medicate! Another question: since we cannot sit up in rows 10-28, we are stuck in the far back. Do we want to position ourselves as far away as possible from the bassinet row? (My husband will have spent entire previous day in airports and on planes so I am trying to make this trip as pleasant as possible for him!)
Old Jul 14, 05, 10:56 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Love the A330.. Flew it DTW-LGW back in Mar.. amazing in WBC.. am a bit disappointed they switched back to D10.. :-(
Old Jul 14, 05, 11:18 pm

> I would think your chances of getting an exit row if you are not elite are
> between 0% and 0%, I know on my flights they were always full (and many
> times were full close to 90 days out).

I thought exit rows were only assigned day of departure? If I'm not upgraded on domestic I select an exit row seat when I go to the website and print my broading pass one day before departure.

Does me being Silver although me to get Exit Row seats when I checkin??

Search this Thread