nw las-lax. what's with it?

Old Apr 14, 05, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

nw las-lax. what's with it?

been trying to book las-lax one way for a while. it was always R class only, but all of a sudden K class has opened. I snagged it.

my question has been.... what's with this flight? just a random flight to LAX? i know they've got their mini hubs, but this flight caught me by surpirse.

what are the loads? are upgrades easy? im flying with a friend who's never been up front. im hoping i may score a comp up. just curious.
Old Apr 14, 05, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Aren't $39 one ways lucrative for an airline?

Seriously, though, isn't it timed to feed LAX-NRT?
Old Apr 14, 05, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Seriously, though, isn't it timed to feed LAX-NRT?
Yep, both ways:

NW 627 LAS-LAX arrives 10:54am
NW 1 LAX-NRT departs 1:15pm

NW 2 NRT-LAX arrives 9:40am
NW 628 LAX-LAS departs 11:05am
Old Apr 15, 05, 2:23 am

When NW began flying this random city pair several years ago, it required a Japanese interpreter FA on the flight because the load was 80-90% Japanese.

NW needs to fly this "feeder" route to make their Japanese customers happy......since they discontinued the nonstop LAS-NRT roundtrips a few years ago.
Old Apr 15, 05, 2:56 am

I wonder if this flight still uses the Japanese interpreter?
Old Apr 15, 05, 11:54 am

Programs: UA-Silver, TK-Elite, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
I find this flight very interesting since it exists to feed the NRT flight. But doesn't this contradict/compete with the America West code-share between LAS and LAX when connecting to NRT? I guess there aren't enough people flying to LAS through SFO for NW to start one of those...but I sure would love it if they did. The only Skyteam option from bay area to LAS is via SLC on DL.
Old Apr 15, 05, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by NW-A332
I find this flight very interesting since it exists to feed the NRT flight. But doesn't this contradict/compete with the America West code-share between LAS and LAX when connecting to NRT? I guess there aren't enough people flying to LAS through SFO for NW to start one of those...but I sure would love it if they did. The only Skyteam option from bay area to LAS is via SLC on DL.
I think the HP code share was started before the LAX-LAS flights were started, although I'm not totally sure. It probably benefits those using the KLM flight to Amsterdam too, along with the Honolulu flight.
Old Apr 15, 05, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
NW has served this route several times since the 80's. This is just the latest incarnation. The Japanese travelers are confused with the HP codeshare and changing terminals. The "prestige" of flying NW all the way to LAS is important in Japanese culture.
Old Apr 15, 05, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
Yeah, this mostly Japaneses or other Asian pax, but it's a nice flight if you can get a seat. I did last month on a triangle route through LAX and LAS, which was actually cheaper than just going to LAX for those particular days. You just have to watch for very limited K class avail, but if you get it, it's generally easy to get the upgrade to first, as these flights are full of vacationers.
Old Apr 15, 05, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dlen111
been trying to book las-lax one way for a while. it was always R class only, but all of a sudden K class has opened. I snagged it.

my question has been.... what's with this flight? just a random flight to LAX? i know they've got their mini hubs, but this flight caught me by surpirse.

what are the loads? are upgrades easy? im flying with a friend who's never been up front. im hoping i may score a comp up. just curious.
If I remember correctly, the outbound becomes the LAS-MKE flight upon arrival. It could be through passengers.
Old Apr 17, 05, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I will be on this flight on Sunday, May 15 from LAS to LAX. My ticket is TVC-MSP-LAS-LAX, return LAX-TVC. I have to be in L.A. for a meeting but stopping off in LAS for Saturday night, flying over to LA on Sunday morning. I didn't even know this flight existed. It was only bookable in First, like you said but built into my whole ticket, it only added $122 to my otherwise coach fare. Such a deal and a fun alternative to Southwest where I get no miles and perks.

Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: