Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Which international routes would you like NW to launch?

Which international routes would you like NW to launch?

Old Apr 13, 05, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
With a lot of loyalty from the Filipino community in the west-coast, I think NW should try flying non-stop LAX-MNL, SFO-MNL or even LAS-MNL eliminating the 2-3 hrs sit in KIX, NGO, or NRT. Because as of now, PAL is enjoying the monopoly on the non-stop to LAX & SFO from their hometown MNL.
Yes, but IIRC doesn't PR already do a MNL-YVR-LAS service?
Old Apr 13, 05, 5:40 pm

I would also like to stretch the limits of the new 787 and see a non-stop MSP-AKL->SYD/BNE/MEL, etc. Maybe not all of those, but definitely SYD. Time and time again people mention the difficulty of getting to Australia on NW/SkyTeam. You can always get to ICN->SYD on KE, but how appealing is that from the US mainland? MSP-HKG and MSP-BKK are both well within the supposed range of the 787. Perhaps I'd just like to add more US<->Asia service, and would like to see some of it come back to MSP.

Last edited by SchmutzigMSP; Apr 13, 05 at 5:48 pm
Old Apr 13, 05, 7:33 pm

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI) [1991 - 2010]; LAS
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kyushuman
NW tried KIX as a hub--at one point in the late 90s, NW had nonstops from KIX to TPE, MNL, MSP, KUL, KHH (I think), HNL, LAX, and DTW, along with JD codeshares to FUK, NRT, etc! Now, it's just DTW, TPE, and HNL. I guess there just wasn't enough traffic. I do know that KIX has been less busy than predicted anyway, so it may not be NW's fault, just that the market can't support that many flights. Anyone have a guess?
I think you're right--NW offers 2x daily 744s to MNL (ex-NRT and NGO), and used to fly 3x (they had KIX too). Prices from the US to MNL are always sky-high--usually around $1500 even from the west coast-especially in summer.

I assume you know that NW still have that great deal in WBC ($1890+taxes RT from LAX/SFO to MNL). I've taken that the last two years, though last year it was only $1625--cheaper than the cheapest Y I could find, even.
Thanks for the cheap competition, PAL!
I think the KIX mini-hub was affected by very high landing fees, and the fact that it began operation near the peak of the bubble in 1995, shortly before the 1997 Asian economic collapse. So, essentially, a combination of factors including bad timing.

Does anyone know how the new NGO landing fees compare with those at KIX and NRT?

Obviously, the limited capacity at NRT is a big problem. Until new equipment comes on line permitting more Asian non-stops from the U.S. mainland (I express no comment on the wisdom of such a change, without any detailed information on the traffic through the NRT hub), there seems to be a need for an overflow hub in Japan.

NW in NGO currently serves NRT, DTW, SPN, and MNL. I suspect a few more choices might profitably be in order.
Old Apr 13, 05, 7:40 pm

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI) [1991 - 2010]; LAS
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
NRT or NGO to CEB.
Although Tagalog (Pilipino) is the official language of the Philippines, only 27% of the population speak it as their native tongue, compared to 32% for Visayan (Cebuano), or numbers to that effect.

The Spanish moved the capital from Cebu to Manila sometime back in the late 1600s or so. But MNL is so horribly polluted and congested that carrying out business there can be inefficient. With modern information technology, there is less reason to congregate around only one part of any country.

CO announced and even sold tickets for GUM-CEB service beginning in April 1995. However, U.S. Department of Transportation approval was never granted, perhaps because of security concerns in the aftermath of the 1994 airline bombing plot.
Old Apr 13, 05, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
When they get B787s they should use them on TPAC and then move one of them A332s to do DTW-PRG That's my dream
Old Apr 14, 05, 4:46 am

Programs: NW - Platinum, JL - Sapphire, SPG - Platinum, UA
NW tried KIX as a hub--at one point in the late 90s, NW had nonstops from KIX to TPE, MNL, MSP, KUL, KHH (I think), HNL, LAX, and DTW, along with JD codeshares to FUK, NRT, etc! Now, it's just DTW, TPE, and HNL. I guess there just wasn't enough traffic. I do know that KIX has been less busy than predicted anyway, so it may not be NW's fault, just that the market can't support that many flights. Anyone have a guess?
Yes, there were a lot of flights out from KIX at that time. You can add MNL and SEA on top of the list above. And there was surely a flight between KIX-KHH. Hope some will come back (esp. KIX-MNL and KIX-LAX).
Old Apr 14, 05, 4:53 am

Programs: NW - Platinum, JL - Sapphire, SPG - Platinum, UA
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I think the KIX mini-hub was affected by very high landing fees, and the fact that it began operation near the peak of the bubble in 1995, shortly before the 1997 Asian economic collapse. So, essentially, a combination of factors including bad timing.

Does anyone know how the new NGO landing fees compare with those at KIX and NRT?
The issue KIX has is that they don't generate a lot of Business Travelers. The Kansai (which means greater Osaka area) economy has been so bad. On the other hand Nagoya area econmoy has been not so bad and surely ahead of total Japan economy condition.

About the landing fees, I got some information from Japanese Paper. This is for B744 international route landing fee (assumption of weight at 395t);

NRT Yen 948,000
KIX Yen 825,600
NGO Yen 655,700

Compared to airport in other countries, this is much more expensive. Other airports (like JFK, LHR etc.) collect more money from us (the passengers) than these airports in Japan.
Old Apr 14, 05, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nw is still a network carrier

while i realize that the whole point of the 787 is to facilitate ptp service on international routes, one cannot deny that nw is currently tied to hub-and-spoke system. the a330s are also small in comparison with 744s, yet nw would get killed on sea/pdx-nrt or mem-ams, were it not for its capacity to serve connecting pax.

along the same lines, without a west coast hub, nw seemingly has no choice but to use many of its japan slots for intra-asia. adding routes like bos-nrt at the expense of routes like nrt-pvg could kill the whole network thing.

similarly, while i'm happy that ua has taken japan out of the china equation, i don't think nw could afford to do so, given its current route structure.
Old Apr 14, 05, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
How about DTW - MOW? Russia is a rapidly growing economy and currently getting to Moscow on NW/KLM is very difficult, requiring an overnight in AMS on return.
Old Apr 14, 05, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
While it wouldn't benefit me, the single flight I'd think was best for NW to add would be a NRT-LAS. I'm always amazed how many pax coming from Asia are going to LAS, and last month when I took the LAX-LAS flight it seemed almost the whole plane had just got off from NRT. A NRT-LAS would provide one stop service to LAS from a lot of cities in Asia, and probably boost revenue at profitable fares for NW.
Old Apr 14, 05, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlies
While it wouldn't benefit me, the single flight I'd think was best for NW to add would be a NRT-LAS. I'm always amazed how many pax coming from Asia are going to LAS, and last month when I took the LAX-LAS flight it seemed almost the whole plane had just got off from NRT. A NRT-LAS would provide one stop service to LAS from a lot of cities in Asia, and probably boost revenue at profitable fares for NW.
iirc, lax-las was launched specifically for that purpose; nw does not really compete for o&d pax. regarding nrt-las, i don't believe jl was able to find enough of a market there to sustain daily service so i can't see how there'd be more room for more flights. seems like a questionable use an nrt widebody slot.
Old Apr 14, 05, 11:57 am

Las-nrt?

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlies
Didn't NW try LAS-NRT in the '90s? I vaguely remember that they served that route n/s after they shut down ORD-NRT or am I mistaken?
Old Apr 14, 05, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium
Bring back China nonstops!

Come on NW.

When you get 787s, you can fly nonstops to China. More fuel efficient planes like 787 can travel longer distance than 747 and you don't have to sell as many seats.

It is very difficult for a business man from US east coast and midwest to fly NW to PVG/PEK and waste 4 hours at NRT (unless he is from DTW and MSP). AA(starting 2006)/CO(starting June 15)/UA would be much better choices.

As others have indicated, NRT overfly would also solve limited landing slots problem there. If US-China traffic does increase at projected rates in the next 10 years .......
Old Apr 14, 05, 12:17 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Well since it's a wish list,

DTW-JNB
DTW-ATH or IST
DTW-TLV
DTW-CAI
Old Apr 14, 05, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver
more flights to Latin and Central America&Spain

MSP-MEX to tap in the network of Aeromexico
any hub- SCL