Original Poster

What to expect in domestic first?

Hi everyone,

I'll be taking my first domestic first class flight this summer:

SFO-DTW 10:10pm-5:35am
DTW-YUL 9am-10:41am

YUL-DTW 6:00am-7:55am
DTW-SFO 8:55am-11:12am

It says the redeye has no meal. What service, if any, should I expect? I guess I can eat a little something for breakfast when I'm at the Worldclub in Detroit for a few hours.

Does Nothwest still have pillows and blankets available on redeyes?

If I want to watch the movie, is there a row I should avoid on the 757-200 and 757-300?

Do the flight attendants on YUL flights speak French?

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 05, 12:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
No meal on any of your flights except DTW-SFO, which will be a full breakfast w/ your choice of omlette w/ potatos and sausage links or cereal, banana, and sometimes yogurt. You will also get a choice of warm muffin or cinnamon roll.

Nothing but drinks and pretzels/mixed nuts snack packs on the red eye or the YUL flights.

Rumor has it that there is occasionally a bagel and banana served prior to arrival in DTW on the red-eye, but I haven't seen it in two years and dozens of these flights.

No IFE on any of the flights. On the 753, it's activated only on Hawaii runs.

Supposedly there are still pillows and blankets on red-eyes, random blankets can be found on daytime flights.

Seriously doubt the f/a's will speak French, but you never know.
Old Apr 12, 05, 1:14 am
dab

Programs: UA DL
I flew the DTW-YUL flight last year and I think all the announcements were in English and I doubt the FA can speak French. On the positive note there is a new terminal in Montreal that I believe is or will be open.
Old Apr 12, 05, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
To be slightly picky -- I think the choice will be a muffin or bagel with breakfast. CO has the cinnamon rolls (and scrumptious they are).

On the redeye, they will serve the regular salty snacks when you leave, but before landing they should have a snack basket ith bananas and granola bars (the warm bagel is gone). They don't normally wake people for it, though, so unless F/A realizes you're awake they won't serve. Leave your light on, and loudly lower and raise your tray repeatedly.

Disclaimer: I try to avoid redeyes, so it's been a few months. May have been cut back further.
Old Apr 12, 05, 2:15 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
there are blankets and pillows on the redeye I just did from LAX to DTW 2 days ago. wasn't upgraded to FC (dang all you Plats! ) so not sure if there was a bagel or anything prior to landing. of course in the WorldClub there are muffins and bagels in the morning. Now how are you getting into the WC? Remember domestic FC doesn't get free access into WC unlike internation WBC...
Old Apr 12, 05, 2:25 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by dab
I flew the DTW-YUL flight last year and I think all the announcements were in English and I doubt the FA can speak French

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that all NW flights to the French-speaking city of Montreal would have a French-speaking FA on board.
Old Apr 12, 05, 2:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by dab
I flew the DTW-YUL flight last year and I think all the announcements were in English and I doubt the FA can speak French. On the positive note there is a new terminal in Montreal that I believe is or will be open.
The Montreal Airport is rather nice, yes they are building a new terminal - or soo it seems. If anyone one remembers there used to be two airports, now its just one and the other is used for cargo. The airport has a bit more walking than I'd like and the SkyTeam Lounge is the AF lounge which does US bound pax no good since we are precleared and thus cant access that concourse.

-Vincent
Old Apr 12, 05, 2:36 pm

[QUOTE=Delta Hog]
Originally Posted by dab
I flew the DTW-YUL flight last year and I think all the announcements were in English and I doubt the FA can speak French./QUOTE]

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that all NW flights to the French-speaking city of Montreal would have a French-speaking FA on board.
I'll take you up on that bet!
Old Apr 12, 05, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by KLM-boy
Hi everyone,

I'll be taking my first domestic first class flight this summer:

SFO-DTW 10:10pm-5:35am
DTW-YUL 9am-10:41am

YUL-DTW 6:00am-7:55am
DTW-SFO 8:55am-11:12am

It says the redeye has no meal. What service, if any, should I expect? I guess I can eat a little something for breakfast when I'm at the Worldclub in Detroit for a few hours.

Does Nothwest still have pillows and blankets available on redeyes?

If I want to watch the movie, is there a row I should avoid on the 757-200 and 757-300?

Do the flight attendants on YUL flights speak French?

Thanks!

Not to dampen your spirits further, but...

Does anyone know if Montreal counts for free lounge access if in international First?

My guess is no, unless you are a World Club member, KLM elite, or Platinum elite (although for that I don't know if this qualifies as 'international'). I could be wrong...on CO all Latin America flights in first get comp, lounge access.
Old Apr 12, 05, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
KLM, I just wrote a report about, among many other things, domestic NW service including to/from SFO, from last week.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419710
Old Apr 12, 05, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=heasdstrong]
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
I'll take you up on that bet!
A F/A told me once that every flight must have at least one LODO F/A for each official language of the origin and destination cities. So, since French is an official language, I believe the FAA requires, for safety reasons, at least one F/A who speaks French. (Is French still one of the two official languages of Canada?)
Old Apr 12, 05, 4:47 pm

FROm the NWA crew

There is no requirement to have a french speaking FA on YUL flights. I have done this flight many times without a French speaker and never had a problem. You MAY come across a French speaking FA just by coincidence. (small chance). For the record there are interpreters on Pacific flights only. Again in my experiences, I never had problem with language.

Pillows and Blankets are avialable on RED_EYE flights in all cabins. On the flight from SFO-DTW you will get a predeparture drink, inflight drink with spinzles & nut mix. We also have bananas and granola bars to offer before landing. Its been my experience 99% of the time that everyone falls alseep before we even get airborne. I don't wake people up to offer granola bars/bananas/drinks before landing. If anyone is awake, I'll quietly offer them.
Old Apr 12, 05, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by JAFA
I don't wake people up to offer granola bars/bananas/drinks before landing. If anyone is awake, I'll quietly offer them.
And I'll stay awake for it!

On the language question I was chatting to an FAs on one of the KLM Cityhopper flights to LCY (a great way to get to London BTW). The flights and crews are the former KLM UK, which is the former Air UK. She told me that the FAs are all British, and none of them speaks Dutch, even though it's now KLM. She couldn't remember this ever being a problem.
Old Apr 12, 05, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
A F/A told me once that every flight must have at least one LODO F/A for each official language of the origin and destination cities. So, since French is an official language, I believe the FAA requires, for safety reasons, at least one F/A who speaks French. (Is French still one of the two official languages of Canada?)
I'd wouldn't bet against a NW FA.
Old Apr 12, 05, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
the French-speaking city of Montreal
I don't know what they speak in Montréal, but whatever it is it's not French. Franglish, maybe, but it's certainly not French.

Search this Thread