Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Good Gravy!!! MSP-SEA is Booked Tighter Than Tom Thumb's Asp!

Good Gravy!!! MSP-SEA is Booked Tighter Than Tom Thumb's Asp!

Old Apr 12, 05, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA
Red face Good Gravy!!! MSP-SEA is Booked Tighter Than Tom Thumb's Asp!

Okay... this is getting down right silly!!!

I just checked availability for my Sunday morning (9:24 MSP to SEA flight) and ALL classes of flights for ALL flights MSP to SEA on Sunday are showing no availability (I guess I will forget about a FC upgrade myself, as I am just a measly Gold Elite).

I know I am being selfish here (forgive me my WP brothers and sisters) but I think it is about time for the planners at NW to either add more SEA/MSP and MSP/SEA flights each day, and/or for NW to start flying larger fleet on this route (747/400???).

Thanks for listening. Take Care and God Bless!

-A

Last edited by Poopdeck90210; Apr 12, 05 at 12:18 am
Old Apr 12, 05, 12:18 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210

I just checked availability for Sunday morning (9:24 MSP to SEA0 and all classes of flights for ALL flights MSP to SEA on Sunday are showing no availability (forget about a FC upgrade as a measly gold).

I know I am being selfish here (forgive me my WP brothers and sisters) but I think it is about time for the planners at NW to either add more SEA/MSP and MSP/SEA flights each day, and/or for NW to start flying larger fleet on this route (747/400???).

-A
One more time: Full flights are NOT necessarily profitable flights. NW flights to SEA are almost always full. They have been for years. I remember packed DC-10's on flights 8 or 9 years ago! This is nothing new.
Old Apr 12, 05, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Arrow

Originally Posted by formeraa
One more time: Full flights are NOT necessarily profitable flights. NW flights to SEA are almost always full. They have been for years. I remember packed DC-10's on flights 8 or 9 years ago! This is nothing new.
Agreed, but full flights are NOT necessarily un-profitable either (works both ways). Think fixed costs. The more flights that NW runs on a given, busy route, the more ROI they get back on their fixed costs (e.g. gate rent at MSP and SEA, baggage handler salaries, TA salaries, etc.). Capiche?

-A
Old Apr 12, 05, 12:25 am

Agreed, but full flights are NOT necessarily un-profitable either (works both ways). Think fixed costs. The more flights that NW runs on a given, busy route, the more ROI they get back on their fixed costs (e.g. gate rent at MSP and SEA, baggage handler salaries, TA salaries, etc.). Capiche?

-A
Trust me, if the route were incredibly profitable, NW would run HOURLY service (or -- more likely -- 2 or 3 flights at the same time ). Think variable costs. Fuel is unhedged at record high levels. Flight crew time (pilots and FA's) is also a significant cost.
Old Apr 12, 05, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 2P
If a full flight is not a profitable flight then all that means is the pricing system is way out of whack.

Barring a promotional sale, a full flight should ALWAYS be turning a nice, healthy profit.
Old Apr 12, 05, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA gold/SPG something or another

I just checked availability for my Sunday morning (9:24 MSP to SEA flight) and ALL classes of flights for ALL flights MSP to SEA on Sunday are showing no availability (I guess I will forget about a FC upgrade myself, as I am just a measly Gold Elite).

-A

if it means anything, the flights to/from LAX/SAN from MSP/DTW are also always jammed together. I luckily scored a F upgrade one of the flights, snaggin the only seat left.
Old Apr 12, 05, 9:06 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I usually book my NW flights at least a month out when I have to fly in and out of MSP from SEA.

That said, this weekend is likely to be more ugly than usual because many schools in WA are having Spring Break this week ... ending this weekend.
Old Apr 12, 05, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
If a full flight is not a profitable flight then all that means is the pricing system is way out of whack.

Barring a promotional sale, a full flight should ALWAYS be turning a nice, healthy profit.
Not at all. Airline inventory is perishable, and has absolutely no value once the door closes. If they don't forecast selling those seats at high enough fares, they'll crack open the buckets at the lower fares or for reward travel. It's much better to get $200 for the seat rather than $0. In this situation, the goal is to minimize loss.

The similar analogy would be persihable products in a grocery store (dairy, meat markdowns). They may sell them below cost because if they don't sell them in the next day or two, they'll have to throw them out and get nothing for them.
Old Apr 12, 05, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
I think it is about time for the planners at NW to either add more SEA/MSP and MSP/SEA flights each day, and/or for NW to start flying larger fleet on this route...
I know all about yield versus load factor, and I know this is spring break week, but still, I think Poopdeck's point stands. Compared to pre-9/11 days NW has significantly less lift out of SEA to MSP and DTW. Enplanements at Sea-Tac are on track this year to match or surpass 2000/2001 levels, meaning the post-9/11 depression in traffic (no reference to fare paid) is just about over, but NW hasn't expanded frequencies to keep pace.

In my summer 2001 timetable, NW published at least eight MSP flights a day -- several of them DC10s -- and five or six DTW dailies. Not to mention at least three MEM dailies. (I don't have the schedule in front of me, but you get the idea.) Now they're serving SEA with, I think, less than half the seats. Demand is snapping back but NW isn't. I don't understand it.
Old Apr 12, 05, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
And NW is adding another SEA-DTW non-stop flight for the summer...on the A319!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's fine for F.C. seats - it's the same as the A320. But it could mean higher fares out of SEA.

-RM
Old Apr 12, 05, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I know all about yield versus load factor, and I know this is spring break week, but still, I think Poopdeck's point stands. Compared to pre-9/11 days NW has significantly less lift out of SEA to MSP and DTW. Enplanements at Sea-Tac are on track this year to match or surpass 2000/2001 levels, meaning the post-9/11 depression in traffic (no reference to fare paid) is just about over, but NW hasn't expanded frequencies to keep pace.

In my summer 2001 timetable, NW published at least eight MSP flights a day -- several of them DC10s -- and five or six DTW dailies. Not to mention at least three MEM dailies. (I don't have the schedule in front of me, but you get the idea.) Now they're serving SEA with, I think, less than half the seats. Demand is snapping back but NW isn't. I don't understand it.
In the summer 2005 schedule, NW will have NINE MSP flights a day -- with 5 757-300s, 2 757-200s, and 2 A320s (this is very consistent with the past), FOUR DTW flights a day -- with 2 757-300s, 1 757-200, and 1 A319 (definitely less than past summers), and TWO MEM flights a day -- with 1 757 and 1 A320 (upgraded from a A319 and a A320). That's really not too bad. NW is definitely shielded themselves from selling too many low fare seats. It's a good strategy for NW, not so good for travelers.
Old Apr 13, 05, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Didn't they announce summer IND-SEA service too?
Old Apr 13, 05, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (but still missing SPG)
Originally Posted by formeraa
In the summer 2005 schedule, NW will have NINE MSP flights a day -- with 5 757-300s, 2 757-200s, and 2 A320s (this is very consistent with the past), FOUR DTW flights a day -- with 2 757-300s, 1 757-200, and 1 A319 (definitely less than past summers), and TWO MEM flights a day -- with 1 757 and 1 A320 (upgraded from a A319 and a A320). That's really not too bad. NW is definitely shielded themselves from selling too many low fare seats. It's a good strategy for NW, not so good for travelers.
I've never had a lot of problems getting to SEA, but PDX? Always, ALWAYS expensive and never a lot of upgrades to go around. Of course I am a lowly GOLD this year, so that could explain the lack of upgrades....
Old Apr 13, 05, 10:21 am

Programs: DL, AA
PDX isn't as big, but Northwest has a much stronger grip on PDX than it does SEA, and it captures A LOT of the transcontinental traffic from PDX.

Like others said, NW is limiting seats to try to get yield up.
Old Apr 13, 05, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Cool School Break in Seattle

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
That said, this weekend is likely to be more ugly than usual because many schools in WA are having Spring Break this week ... ending this weekend.
Ahh... good catch. There must be a lot of Plats flying with their kids as well, which is why FC is F0. Hmm...

-A

Search this Thread