Mileage Credit voluntarily bumped

Old Apr 10, 05, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Diamond / Diamond Marriott-Platinum
Mileage Credit voluntarily bumped

I am an NWA Platinum and looking for feedback.

I was boarded on a flight leaving IAH and going to SJU. Staff was offering $300 voucher to give up seat and I gave up the seat. Staff indicated I would be scheduled for the next flight to SJU. This flight ended up being a Continental flight from IAH to Miami and an American Airlines flight to SJU. This information was not shared at the time I elected to give up the seat. Everything on the flight went well I just didn't know it was going to be on AA. I did not get mileage credit for the AA portion of the flight. If that is the way it is fine. If not I will pursue. I'm not complaining as much as I am curious of whether the mileage should be credited. Thanks
Old Apr 10, 05, 9:04 pm

Programs: NW Gold, HHonors Gold
I have been voluntarily bumped and rebooked on routes with less mileage several times. I always call and ask for mileage credit for my purchased ticket, and every time I have been told that they will only give me credit for what I flew; the voucher is supposed to be the rest of my compensation. However, once I was rebooked on Japan Airlines involuntarily, and they gave me a mileage credit form and did credit the miles to my account. I figure, it never hurts to ask.
Old Apr 10, 05, 9:24 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
... call plat line, typically when one volunteers, you get credit for the original itin. if this was a CO operated flight (you were originally booked on) or the ticket purchased through CO, you might have to go back to them vs. WorldPerks
Old Apr 10, 05, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
In addition to receiving the full mileage credit for the original flight, you should also be able to submit your AA boarding pass to receive AA flyer miles too.

It does make it a little more complicated when there are three airlines involved.

I was rebooked recently from DL to AA - and my original flight was to be credited to my WorldPerks account.

I wasn't sure whether to fax the info to DL or NW....I ended up trying Delta asking them to give me credit to my Worldperks. Oddly (though I had not given them by Skymiles number) they ended up giving me DL Skymiles credit for that flight and for a completed flight a few days before (that had already posted on WorldPerks). In addition, I gave my AA number when I was rebooked and I received those miles too.

At that point I decided to forego the extra elite qualifying miles on NW and just enjoy the extra miles on DL and AA! (Wow that is complicated trying to explain it!)
Old Apr 10, 05, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Over Christmas I was reaccommodated by DL on an American flight. The DL itin carried my WP number for credit to my NW account. I was scheduled to fly DL going MSY-ATL-ONT. Instead I flew MSY-DFW on DL and DFW-BUR on AA. I sent copies of the boarding passes and the original eticket receipt to Hibbing. I was credited for the originally booked miles -- through ATL.
Old Apr 10, 05, 11:04 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Here is my understanding or the procedure (and how it has always applied to me).

If you either volunteer or are re-routed because of a mechanical or weather delay on a different NW or code share partner flight you are eligible for the miles flown.

If you are re-routed onto NON-partner airlines than you are eligible for the original itinerary earned in your NW account PLUS you are elligible to earn miles with the program of the carrier you are re-routed on (or one of their partner programs ie. US/UA).

I have never had the pleasure (dis-pleasure) of being re-routed on two seperate airlines for the same flight.

I would think if you have them remove the CO miles from IAH-MIA than they will credit you with the original miles of the itinerary and you can also earn miles with AA/Alaska or one of AA's partners for that section if you take it up with AA.
Old Apr 10, 05, 11:30 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
From http://www.nwa.com/freqfly/memrules/general.shtml :

Flight cancellations due to any condition that Northwest, our SkyTeam Global Alliance Partners and/or other WorldPerks Airline Partners cannot control, including but not limited to weather delays, will not be granted award mileage credit. Passengers are entitled to mileage credit when rerouted on another carrier due to operational reasons which occur at the airport on the day of travel. The member may earn mileage credit for the original NW/KLM itinerary as ticket by requesting and completing a mileage credit request form.
The bolded section is up for interpretation, but I think that means you're eligible for your original miles for the leg, IAD-SJU. You are NOT entitled to the IAD-MIA-SJU miles, but since AA and NW don't have any partnership, you can probably claim the AA miles to an AAdvantage account.
Old Apr 10, 05, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).
you're entitled to the IAH-SJU mileage because you properly assumed you would be rebooked on the next CO flight, not the next possible combination of flights on any airline(s) that would get you there. plat line should take care of you.
Old Apr 11, 05, 7:00 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Were you re-booked in Full Fare Y or F? NW usually does this when re-booking a VDB, which is a really nice added benefit of extra EQMs and bonus miles.
My MSP-AMS-IST in Y (a Zone Cert in V, actually) was oversold, so it became MSP-ORD-AMS-IST, all in full fare C/F because they also upgraded me.
So if you got the extra 50% on IAH-MIA, then you probably got the correct amount anyway. Of course, it never hurts to ask nicely for more!
Old Apr 11, 05, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Diamond / Diamond Marriott-Platinum
Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the various productive responses. Looks like I will give it a shot on the Platinum line.
Old Apr 11, 05, 2:06 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by kyushuman
So if you got the extra 50% on IAH-MIA, then you probably got the correct amount anyway. Of course, it never hurts to ask nicely for more!
I thought of mentioning that, but then actually went to the mileage calculator on NWA.com and saw that is not the case.

Assuming he did not originally buy a Y ticket. If he had bought full fare the comparison would be even worse!

IAH - SJU Base Miles 2007 Plat Bonus 2509 total banked miles 4516

IAH - MIA P tickets Base Miles 964 Class Bonus 482 Plat Bonus 1205
Total Banked miles : 2651

Or a grand total LOSS of 1865 banked miles.

Search this Thread