Injured Passenger on NW

Old Apr 4, 05, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, CO silver, CX Asia Miles Silver/Oneworld, UA, US Airways,
Injured Passenger on NW

Hey all,
I have an inquiry I hope I can get some help on.

My elder brother who is over 6 feet tall is scheduled to travel to the U.S froM Hong Kong via NRT. He has fractured three bones in his foot and is scheduled to have is cast removed 2 days before departure. However, the doctor has said with such a long flight, there is a risk of his foot swelling up.

I wanted to know if Northwest bumps up passengers to Business Class based on an injury. I know the passenger will need a doctor's note to show the day of departure. How open are they to doing this?

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 05, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HkgFlier
Hey all,
I have an inquiry I hope I can get some help on.

My elder brother who is over 6 feet tall is scheduled to travel to the U.S froM Hong Kong via NRT. He has fractured three bones in his foot and is scheduled to have is cast removed 2 days before departure. However, the doctor has said with such a long flight, there is a risk of his foot swelling up.

I wanted to know if Northwest bumps up passengers to Business Class based on an injury. I know the passenger will need a doctor's note to show the day of departure. How open are they to doing this?

Thanks
In all likelihood he will NOT be upgraded for free. Everyone's feet in coach will be swollen by the end of the flight, recent fracture or not.
Old Apr 4, 05, 8:26 pm

Programs: NW WP (never an elite)
I don't get it. Why would being bumped to Buiness Class help with his medical condition. Do feet swell less in business class? If so, and your brother knows that - him buying a business class seat is in order. I can't think why NWA should be the one to do the work for him.

You may not mean it, but your post comes across as "how can I sucker NWA to benefit my brother because he's got a health problem?" If they do bump him, I'll be getting a doctors statement for my trans-ocean flights - I'm sure the reduced stress of business class will be therapeutic to my aching feet
Old Apr 4, 05, 8:46 pm

Location: Memphis, TN Hyatt Plat, NW Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, National Emeral Exec
Sorry to disappoint you but they will not bump your brother up because of his injury. We get so many request from people who need the extra space because of medical reasons (back, leg, foot, overweight, etc) that it would be impossible to honor them. Regardless, it is not our policy. Even if it came down to a situation where they moved people from the back (overbooked?) a Plat or Gold would be choosen first.
Old Apr 4, 05, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
The injurred person may want to consider the doctor's advise... In 2000 I flew DTW-DFW in domestic F about a week after I had surgery (involving titanium rods, plates, pins, etc.) to repair a broken leg. My doctor, who is also a private pilot, strongly warned me not to fly. I did anyway and spent my first 2 days in Dallas attached to the electric ice pack to reduce the swelling.
Old Apr 4, 05, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, MR-PlatPrem, US-Gold, SPG-Gold
In Feb-2000 I was in a nasty snowmobile accident up in the UP of Michigan and flew back on Mesaba+NW (CMX->DTW->BWI). I had metal pins sticking out of an arm cast and my facial bones were "floating" (think cracked egg shells-- I was on my way to a 13hr facial operation). Folks were concerned about the effects of the low pressure on my bones. (shattered humerus and panfacial fracture)

I flew as a normal PAX in both coach (in the Saab) and first (DC-9?) and I'll tellya-- it made no difference to me. Sitting uncomfortably didn't even hit the pain radar screen. The last thing I wanted was to drink or eat much either.

What made all the difference in the world was the plentiful supply of pain meds I brought with me. I popped one right after security (ahh, pre-9/11 security when a cast and pins elicited "you're good to go, sir") and enjoyed... well, I don't quite recall what I enjoyed... but I wasn't bothered by flying coach.

Your brother will be okay. His MD should find it reasonable to allow him some "emergency pain medication" for the flight. ( Just be sure he tries one before actually flying... 37,000 feet is a horrible place to learn that your body doesn't react well to a medication. )
Old Apr 4, 05, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL GM
One thing you CAN do is look at the seast maps for his flights on seatguru.com and see if there are any (non-exit row, obviously) coach seats that might have some extra leg room. Some non-exit bulkheads, or the row near the back where the plane narrows, might allow him so stretch the leg out. Asking for a good coach seat is a much more reasonable request than asking for WBC.
Old Apr 4, 05, 10:34 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
He may have luck requesting a disability seat as shown on the nwa.com seatmaps. Not sure if they have extra space but they are closer to the front of the plane.

Search this Thread