Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

can the power outlets on 330's actually power computers?

Old Apr 2, 05, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone had success with powering their notebook computers on Northwest flights?

I did a mixed class of service flight out to Asia yesterday (W.B.C. on the first segment, coach on the second).

As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the power outlets on either A330 to power my Apple Powerbook.

I followed the instructions in the back of the inflight magazine and even removed the battery, but that still wasn't enough to light up the power light on the adapter. The little status light in the W.B.C. seat turned off when I plugged in my adapter... and in the coach seat, the light went from green to red.

Any hints would be great! It's no fun to run out of battery juice 1/4th into the flight.
Old Apr 2, 05, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL/Silver, CX/DM, SPG/Plat
I also had mixed experiences with the power outlet in the 330s. I was using an earlier model notebook, Compaq Evo and could not get enough juice form the socket to just power up. It happened in both classes. But now, I switched to an IBM T42, it worked fine.... even charged the battary. The only think is that I am using a British standard plug and I have to use an adaptor. At times I have to tweat it a little bit to get it started, but once it works, it works.....

Good luck with it.
Old Apr 2, 05, 9:03 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Delta Silver
A 330 pilot friend of mine said power for computers on a 330 is a function of how many other passengers are using power on a flight. If not many are, all is fine. The more passengers using the outlets, the less power for everyone.
Old Apr 2, 05, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I didn't see a single other person using the power outlets on either segment I took.

I tried juggling (or 'tweat'ing) the plug a number of times but still couldn't do anything to get power through to the computer beyond the power port status light going red or dark.

The Empower system on United worked better than this...
Old Apr 2, 05, 10:41 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
I sucessfully powered an IBM 390X . . .

I flew on several 332s in January and sucessfully powered an old IBM 390x (and transitioning into a new T42 this weekend!).

No problem with the power, other than difficulty actually plugging into the sockets. I met quite a bit of resistance there more than once.
Old Apr 2, 05, 10:51 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Marriott Gold
I flew on the 332 in WBC last December and had no problem powering a Dell Latitude C600, with battery removed. I asked the flight attendant about why battery removal was necessary, and was informed that the power provided was not enough for recharging as well as operating the laptop. Anyhow, it worked fine.

Was much more disappointed when I subsequently traveled in Continental's 777 BizFirst where I tried to plug in my laptop, only to find that I needed an adapter that had to be purchased ahead of time... hmm... grrrr!

-Dan

Last edited by ddermer; Apr 3, 05 at 1:00 pm Reason: slight correction...
Old Apr 3, 05, 5:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Multi-year NW PE, CO SE, Former F9 Ascent
I had not problem powering my Dell 500m, with the battery in, on multiple A330-300 flights.
Old Apr 3, 05, 6:34 am
Original Poster

I haven't heard from anyone who was able to use their Apple iBook/Powerbook yet...

Looking at my power adapter, it says it draws 65 watts while the system Northwest uses supposedly can do up to 75 W (that's according to the inflight WorldTraveler magazine; if the outlets were working, I might even be able to charge the battery).

I guess I'll have to keep fiddling with the things when I board my next two segments which will be on 330's.
Old Apr 3, 05, 7:25 am

Programs: NW Plat
I was glad to see your post. I was unable to get power to my Dell Inspiron 700 on a recent 330 flight. Never figured it out and it's nice to know it's not just me.

Old Apr 3, 05, 8:11 am
RKG

On March 31, I used my iBook on both SFO-NRT and NRT-BKK. No problems. I kept the battery in. I noticed a passenger in the row ahead of me using his Powerbook - also with no apparent problems.
Old Apr 3, 05, 1:26 pm

I've used them on taca to keep the battery charged, but I never got enough juice to power a laptop with a dead battery.
Old Apr 3, 05, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Gold, Avis First, Various hotel elites
No Problem

I used my 12" PowerBook CDG-DTW in February. No problems at all. Left the battery in and got a full charge-up along the way. I'd been working in the lounge before the flight on battery.

There is that little twist you need in order to get the prongs into the outlet but once in the machine worked perfectly.
Old Apr 3, 05, 3:35 pm

Are the NW plugs not Empower plugs?

FYI to any Powerbook/iBook users, this is a great Empower cable--no A/C or other adaptors needed:

http://www.kensington.com/html/3690.html
Old Apr 3, 05, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

ahhh, good. I'm glad to hear that it did work for people with Powerbooks. That makes me a little more optimistic for the next flight.

The plugs are not Empower plugs, but standard American three prong outlets.
Old Apr 3, 05, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
ahhh, good. I'm glad to hear that it did work for people with Powerbooks. That makes me a little more optimistic for the next flight.

The plugs are not Empower plugs, but standard American three prong outlets.
If they are not Empower, but are instead standard American three prong outlets, can you use the Apple power adaptor directly, without an extension cord? (For non-Apple people, the Apple AC power adaptor is a square brick, about 3 inches on a side, and one inch thick, with the prongs coming straight out one side.)

Search this Thread