Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on NWA with CO Elite Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO One Pass Nothing, SPG Gold

This is proly a stupid ?, but.....

By the end of the year I will be a lowly silver elite with CO One Pass. I am considering changing over to use my WP account much more next year. Will I be eligible for upgrades on NWA with my CO status?

NWA seems to make more sense for me now so I am seriously considering making it my first choice airline. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Matt
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:56 am

Will I be eligible for upgrades on NWA with my CO status?
Have you read the OnePass upgrade rules? If not, you "proly" should.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:13 am

Programs: United 1K
Yes, you are eligible for NW upgrades if you are a CO Silver Elite.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Have you read the OnePass upgrade rules? If not, you "proly" should.
Yeah....I have no clue how I missed that in the rules...haha. I guess my young age is just getting to me these days.

Thanks for the info,

Matt
Old Apr 2, 2005, 2:33 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Matt,

When you decide to switch over to earning on NW. Book your reservation and put your CO OP# in it. Then call NW reservation and add your WP # as the program you want to EARN the miles on. Both numbers can be in your record with NWA and you will get upgraded (if available) based on your CO status and you will earn the miles on your NW # (but only base miles until you reach silver on NW). However, this only works on NW metal. On CO metal if you switch to a non-elite number they will revoke your upgrade. So basicaly, you should try to fly NW metal as much as possible.

I think you will find it is a wise decision to switch to NW. I did it several years ago and rarely fly CO anymore.

Wldtrvlr
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
Matt,

When you decide to switch over to earning on NW. Book your reservation and put your CO OP# in it. Then call NW reservation and add your WP # as the program you want to EARN the miles on. Both numbers can be in your record with NWA and you will get upgraded (if available) based on your CO status and you will earn the miles on your NW # (but only base miles until you reach silver on NW). However, this only works on NW metal. On CO metal if you switch to a non-elite number they will revoke your upgrade. So basicaly, you should try to fly NW metal as much as possible.

I think you will find it is a wise decision to switch to NW. I did it several years ago and rarely fly CO anymore.

Wldtrvlr
Thanks...that looks like what I'll be doing. I'll most likely be flying to AMS early in 2006. I figure that and a quick mileage run on top of my normal travel will quickly get me NWA status (so I can get the mileage bonus for the rest of the years travel). As I just said over in the MR forum after some good FT learnin' and some research NWA just seems to have more routes and upgrade chances out of MCI than my current airline of choice, CO. I still think CO has a slightly better product, but with all the ERJ's out of MCI my old favorite isn't looking so appealing anymore...lol.

Thanks,

Matt
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:06 am

Programs: Delta SM, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
Matt,

Wldtrvlr
I did this very thing last year and it worked great. However, you don't have to call in to change you FF#, just change it when you check in online. I actually was upgraded over 90% of the time on NW last year based on my CO silver status.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mjcoffey
I did this very thing last year and it worked great. However, you don't have to call in to change you FF#, just change it when you check in online. I actually was upgraded over 90% of the time on NW last year based on my CO silver status.
I am WP Silver and I find that when I fly on CO, I get more upgrades. I rarely get upgrades on Northwest. Makes ya wonder....
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:50 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by cardood
I am WP Silver and I find that when I fly on CO, I get more upgrades. I rarely get upgrades on Northwest. Makes ya wonder....
It all depends on the route and the time of day that you fly.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: *
are you serious?:????
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Silver flying from DFW. I am 7 out of 9 not to bad with dinner flights back into DFW ^
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM but covet Qatar Q-Suites
Agreed - it does all depend on where & when you fly.

I'm a CO Plat, out of DCA, and I score <50% upgrades anytime I fly to IAH. That's as a PLAT, and on decent fare classes too. It just doesn't matter; I DO NOT sit up front on CO to IAH.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
are you serious?:????
Yes. I travel from DTW to LAX several times/year and *rarely* (maybe 1-2 legs per 10) get upgraded -- even on red eyes. I also have odd trips to LGA, BOS, RDU. I went to New Orleans via Houston and 3 out of 4 legs on CO were upgraded to F. Any tips or advice?

thx,

c|d
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Yes. I travel from DTW to LAX several times/year and *rarely* (maybe 1-2 legs per 10) get upgraded -- even on red eyes. I also have odd trips to LGA, BOS, RDU. I went to New Orleans via Houston and 3 out of 4 legs on CO were upgraded to F. Any tips or advice?

thx,

c|d
LOL...You're comparing apples to oranges.

DTW-LAX = huge business market = difficult upgrades

IAH-MSY = leisure market = easy upgrades.

My last MSY trip, they upgraded all Silvers, then did operational upgrades of random people to clear up a coach oversell.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by CALfly5
Agreed - it does all depend on where & when you fly.

I'm a CO Plat, out of DCA, and I score <50% upgrades anytime I fly to IAH. That's as a PLAT, and on decent fare classes too. It just doesn't matter; I DO NOT sit up front on CO to IAH.
My experience as well. I've actually given up on CO. Now I fly NW and while I sometimes don't get UG to DTW I do get them beyond. I found those DCA/IAH flights to always seem really longt in coach!

Haven't flown through MSP in a whilke but UG percentage is high there usually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.