NW Cancels Award Confirmation

Old Apr 1, 05, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
NW Cancels Award Confirmation

I just spoke with my daughter who was tremendously upset. Yesterday, she confirmed a NW award flight from JFK-PRG for 2 people. Outgoing was business, return economy for 75,000 miles each. Today, she learned that NW had cancelled the reservation. She was on the phone for over an hour with no success. Simply told that NW has the right to cancel a reservation within 24 hours. She has all the names of the people she spoke with and printed out the original confirmation from her account. What do you suggest she do?

Last edited by yogimax; Apr 1, 05 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 1, 05, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Not sure about what to do, but out of curiosity what are the partner airlines involved -- KLM, AF, Czech?
tom
Old Apr 1, 05, 1:01 pm

Most likely this involved a partner airline (other than KL).

When booking an award involving another airline besides NW/KL, that airline has up to 24 hours to confirm the reservation. While they usually will, they don't always do so.

It's indifferent from buying a revenue ticket. Say you buy a ticket EWR-HKG/CO-MNL/CX, CX would have up to 24 hours to confirm the reservation. If they don't, your ticket would be cancelled -- even though you purchased it.
Old Apr 1, 05, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
Not sure about what to do, but out of curiosity what are the partner airlines involved -- KLM, AF, Czech?
tom
CSA (OK)
Old Apr 1, 05, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Bagels
Most likely this involved a partner airline (other than KL).

When booking an award involving another airline besides NW/KL, that airline has up to 24 hours to confirm the reservation. While they usually will, they don't always do so.

It's indifferent from buying a revenue ticket. Say you buy a ticket EWR-HKG/CO-MNL/CX, CX would have up to 24 hours to confirm the reservation. If they don't, your ticket would be cancelled -- even though you purchased it.
While your points are valid, the handling of the situation is the issue here. If it's simply one partner segment that failed to confirm, usually a return call is in order, or if the customer calls back in, the remainder of the reservation would still be in tact, and they would only have to find a workaround for the affected portion.

On another note, purchased award reservations issued by NW are more susceptible to cancellation than those issued by other carriers because of NW's practice of delaying ticketing. Other carriers can audit award holds to ensure the space will be used, and excessive holds that are not ticketed can be cancelled if they're not ticketed. So, while you think you have "purchased" a NW reservation, NW does not immediately ticket, so if the ticket isn't issued, a partner may simply see that as a hold. If NW sits on that for days or weeks, the partner may see that reservation as an excessive hold, which makes that space subject to cancellation.
Old Apr 1, 05, 1:18 pm

Call and see if NW would try to rebook using KL metal and flight number. Not sure if PRG is served by both KL and OK or if only one airline flies the route.
tom
Old Apr 1, 05, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
Call and see if NW would try to rebook using KL metal and flight number. Not sure if PRG is served by both KL and OK or if only one airline flies the route.
tom
OK 3x daily
KL 2x daily

I would try do do AMS-PRG even via CDG or MXP or FCO
Old Apr 1, 05, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, MR-PlatPrem, US-Gold, SPG-Gold
Been there too

I had this happen to me shortly after Malaysia Airlines (MH) changed some fare class definitions. The plat line agent booked me, but 24hrs later it failed back. I called back and another agent informed me that the original reservation was made in the wrong (no longer correct) fare class. They continued that Malaysia Airlines rejected it, and at this moment there was no availability on any NW or ST partner flight.

I whined that from my perspective, I did nothing wrong- the mistake was NW's. The agent had put it together, I had no input or knowledge as to which class bucket they booked me in. After a few times on hold (read: supervisor calls), the plat line overrode something and confirmed me on a NW seat. I thought that was an equitable resolution.
Old Apr 1, 05, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta- Gold
Great Advice out there.

Last edited by bekachan; Oct 31, 07 at 10:29 am
Old Apr 1, 05, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
1. Go to www.nwa.com/jp/en
2. Do "Award travel reservation"
3. Search if there is any availability between AMS-PRG on AF or KL
4. Call NWA, do not mention anything about your case and ask if there is standard availability on AZ or KL or AF or OK between AMS-PRG
5. When you get all this (you might get lucky and find a stanrd award coach seat) info only then call regarding your case.

Last edited by Jano; Apr 1, 05 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 1, 05, 5:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
CSA probably rejected reservation

I suspect the problem is with CSA. When booking award travel with some partners, they have up to 24 hours to either confirm or decline an award reservation.

Typically, if an "OK" response comes back when the award reservation is made, chances are good it won't be cancelled by the carrier - but it can happen.

Typically the agent will tell you to call back 24 hours after making the initial reservation to make sure the partner didn't reject it and then set it up for ticketing.

I would suggest trying again or looking at alternative routings such as using KLM instead of CSA (or perhaps even Malev via BUD).

Best of luck,

SDF_Traveler (in MEL)
Old Apr 1, 05, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

A Happy Ending - and thank you to everyone for their suggestions and support!

After much time with a supervisor (and quite a bit of time on hold), outgoing routing was found on Malev and CSA. Many thanks to Hillary of NW and all who have responded.
Old Apr 1, 05, 7:30 pm

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Thumbs up Have a great trip!

Good to hear you got your tickets.
Have a great and safe trip !
TravelerJim
Old Apr 1, 05, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax
A Happy Ending - and thank you to everyone for their suggestions and support!

After much time with a supervisor (and quite a bit of time on hold), outgoing routing was found on Malev and CSA. Many thanks to Hillary of NW and all who have responded.
You've piqued my interest -- with Malev involved is she flying through Budapest? JFK-BUD-PRG? If she is, I'd encourage a day or two in Budapest. A lot like Prague before it became a "hot" destination, I think. I was there in mid-February?
tom
Old Apr 1, 05, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

You've piqued my interest -- with Malev involved is she flying through Budapest? JFK-BUD-PRG? If she is, I'd encourage a day or two in Budapest. A lot like Prague before it became a "hot" destination, I think. I was there in mid-February?
tom
Yes, she's flying through Budapest. My wife and I were there last year. The architecture is great, and it was an experience going to a public spa. We also took a side trip to Sventendre (sp?) that was a lot of fun. That being said, I would still pick Prague for the architectural highlights and food, but then again, I am a bit prejudiced - my four grandparents were from Czechoslavakia!
Bill

Last edited by yogimax; Apr 1, 05 at 8:36 pm

Search this Thread