Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

on KLM ORD-AMS 3/17, Coach already sold out, bump possibility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

on KLM ORD-AMS 3/17, Coach already sold out, bump possibility?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Smile on KLM ORD-AMS 3/17, Coach already sold out, bump possibility?

I was wondering what you guys think about a bump possibility on this flight. You can't even purchase a coach seat, the flight is already oversold to the maximum amount. World Business class seems pretty wide open at the moment. I am planning on getting to the airport at 1pm for this 4pm flight.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get a bump and get on the flight from MSP-AMS?

I am a college student, so any compensation helps

Thanks for the ideas

Timo
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:14 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Check out your possible reaccommodations, which might include ORD-MSP/DTW/MEM-AMS for arrival the same day. One thing that happens on these types of overbookings is that plats are op-upped to WBC, so you may not end up with a bump. I was OUed both directions on a trip to Paris recently as a plat, but then managed to pick up a bump on the last leg to my regional airport -- something I consider to be just about the best of all worlds. One thing I do to be "bump-ready" is not checking baggage.

Last edited by Standby4321; Mar 13, 2005 at 1:21 pm
Old Mar 13, 2005, 3:36 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Originally Posted by Standby4321
Check out your possible reaccommodations, which might include ORD-MSP/DTW/MEM-AMS for arrival the same day. One thing that happens on these types of overbookings is that plats are op-upped to WBC, so you may not end up with a bump. I was OUed both directions on a trip to Paris recently as a plat, but then managed to pick up a bump on the last leg to my regional airport -- something I consider to be just about the best of all worlds. One thing I do to be "bump-ready" is not checking baggage.

I have taken ORD-AMS three times. Two times I took the bump. Never was I ever asked to go to WBC. I am a Plat, in fact two people who were put in first class had not status.

Could you direct me to where it states Plats are in line to be put in WBC?

The bump on this flight in spring is great.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ewj
I have taken ORD-AMS three times. Two times I took the bump. Never was I ever asked to go to WBC. I am a Plat, in fact two people who were put in first class had not status.

Could you direct me to where it states Plats are in line to be put in WBC?

The bump on this flight in spring is great.
As I've mentioned in my thread about my own flight LAX-AMS on the 17th, I've often been op-upped on that route when coach is oversold, both at LAX and in AMS.

This is a quote from a letter to an FTer from KLM. I found it in an active thread on the KLM board ( www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399017 )

"Then there is the matter of free upgrades. There are a certain category of
passengers, to whom we will offer an upgrade even if the aircraft is not
overbooked. In the first place these are KLM staff on business travel, who
are entitled to be seated in the Business Class. These passengers have a
confirmed Tourist Class seat and boarding card; however, if space is
available they will be seated in Business Class.

In other cases, like in the case of overbooking, after the minimum check in
time has expired the gate staff will consult the passenger list to make a
choice of passengers eligible for upgrades. Platinum Elite passengers will
be given preference, their status can be seen on the passenger list if they
have stated their status at the time of reservation; otherwise Platinum
Elite passengers are not recognisable to our staff. Even though we prefer to
upgrade Platinum Elite passengers, possibly in some situations the choice of
passengers to be upgraded is influenced by previous irregularities that
passengers were faced with."
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Checked baggage

I was not allowed to volunteer on an oversold AMS-MSP flight last year because I had checked a bag. GA said it was too late to retrieve checked baggage so, for security reasons, only pax without checked bags were permitted to volunteer.

Last edited by msp_flyer; Mar 13, 2005 at 6:22 pm
Old Mar 14, 2005, 4:20 am
nlp

I took this flight only once in 2000 because the NW38 MEM-BOS-AMS was cancelled. They put me in WBC because I was a platinum at that time. The bad thing is that the lounge in terminal 5 is very crowded. There's no place to sit at all.

I haven't flown NW for almost 2 years and I am just a silver now.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:09 am
Original Poster

I just checked business class seats, the most it will allow one to purchase on NWA.com is 4, so I am thinking business class is almost sold out. Unfortunately, as mentioned in another thread, almost all flights to AMS that day are almost sold out.

I will just be hoping a seat opens up on the MSP-AMS late flight

Cheers

Timo
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:27 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by msp_flyer
I was not allowed to volunteer on an oversold AMS-MSP flight last year because I had checked a bag. GA said it was too late to retrieve checked baggage so, for security reasons, only pax without checked bags were permitted to volunteer.
KLM is very strict on this. EX AMS you will not be allowed to bump with checked luggage. EX USA, NWA will generally allow you too. It has to do with the baggage match policy of the TSA.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:03 pm

The ORD-AMS seatmap on the KLM flight shows the upper deck to be fairly wide open, so this is your highest likelihood.
all the DTW-AMS flights have just a handful of seats left in coach, 4-5 each in biz, so I doubt they would reroute you to already very full flights
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Do not check bags - that simple.

I just did AMS-MSP-SEA on Saturday and the AMS-MSP flight was oversold by 28! I saw it on the screen when I checked in. THe KLM agent at check-in was very nasty so I asked at the gate about a bump. She really, really needed me but couldn't take me because I had checked a bag.

-RM
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I realize it is Spring break, but what is going on in AMS? I called NWA tonight to check on alternate options if a bump would happen. I was told that my flight was oversold in coach and sold out in business. I was also told that all flights on the 17th from MSP, DTW, and MEM were sold out. I asked about the next day and she told me the ORD-AMS flight was also sold out. I can't believe it, finally a chance for a possible bump, and no alternative routing to get to Marseille. I guess i'll just be happy I have a window seat.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA
sometimes the GAs end up selling the seat upgrade one way for $500 (or something like that)

they try and get compensation before giving away seats, or moving passengers to other flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.