Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Tower Closed 1/22

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
DTW Tower Closed 1/22

Wife (NW Silver) was connecting in MSP (IND-MSP-SAN) yesterday, her aircraft was inbound from DTW then off to MSP, inbound flight (DTW-SAN) was Cxled due to weather....I was listening to the tower (www.liveatc.net) and heard that because of the tower being closed they were using a backup tower plus all the weather....so they had issued a ground stop in DTW, only inbound and select outbound

checked www.detnews.com and saw nothing....my parents (who live in DTW) said it was on the news last night....cleaning crew used some chemicals which produced alot of fumes and they had to clear the tower as a result.....
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by socrates
Wife (NW Silver) was connecting in MSP (IND-MSP-SAN) yesterday, her aircraft was inbound from DTW then off to MSP, inbound flight (DTW-SAN) was Cxled due to weather....I was listening to the tower (www.liveatc.net) and heard that because of the tower being closed they were using a backup tower plus all the weather....so they had issued a ground stop in DTW, only inbound and select outbound

checked www.detnews.com and saw nothing....my parents (who live in DTW) said it was on the news last night....cleaning crew used some chemicals which produced alot of fumes and they had to clear the tower as a result.....
I don't have any info to add to that but I did want to say that the liveatc website is sweet! Thanks for the link. ^
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: NW WP (never an elite)
From a different thread...

"I've read in a few places that chemicals being used to remove mold caused the tower staff to start vomiting everywhere. They moved to the old tower that sits atop the L.C. Smith terminal."

Someone posted the above - seems relevant to the discussion in this thread
Old Jan 23, 2005, 1:59 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks
Originally Posted by shedwannabe
"I've read in a few places that chemicals being used to remove mold caused the tower staff to start vomiting everywhere. They moved to the old tower that sits atop the L.C. Smith terminal."

Someone posted the above - seems relevant to the discussion in this thread
The someone was me!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks
If you go to www.liveatc.net and listen to the tape from 1330-1400 EDT, starting at 8:59 into the recording:

(8:59) ATC: Northwest 11 85, uh, contact Cleveland Center again on 1 3 2 point 2 5, unfortunately they're going to have to put you in a hold for a little bit, the tower lost, uh, we just all control in the tower.
(9:10) NW1185: Bummer. Northwest 1185.
(9:31) ATC: ... Yeah, we're getting ready to close the tower. 3 right, position and hold
(10:53) ATC: Northwest 7 fifty, turn right heading 2-1-0, you're one of the last ones they're going to get in also...
(11:30) ATC: We're going...D T W tower is going to A T C zero. Uh, they were doing some work on mold and they did some spraying that is sickening people. So we're going to hold at all four sixes now and trying to determine what we'll be able to do as far as accepting after that. Alright?
(11:53) UNK1: So, is everyone going back to the center?
(11:57) UNK2: Uh, the last guy told us you're going to evacuate the tower or something?
(12:00) UNK3: No, it's not weather, they're using some sort of chemical agent up there and people are puking blood up and passing out...
(12:09) ATC: Folks, [unintelligible] we're getting ready to get minimal personnel in the tower due to the fumes.
(12:17) UNK4: ...aparently they're using some chemicals that aren't very conducive to breathing and they got up into the tower
(12:28) UNK5: They can't open a window?
(12:29) UNK6: Yeah.
(12:42) NW753: Is everything OK up there?
(12:43) ATC: Yeah, they sprayed something for mold and it appears to be the wrong chemical and people are getting sick and throwing up and stuff.
(12:50) UNK7: [Laughing] Ummm, OK.
(12:51) ATC: Put that on top of the de-icing and [????] it up for everyone else.
(12:56) UNK7: Uhhhhh, what else can happen today?
(12:59) ATC: That's right.
(13:00) UNK7: Wait, maybe I shouldn't say that.
(14:07) ATC: I'll try to get you out of here...we're in the process of evacuating the tower, so I'll try to get you out of here as soon as I can
[...bits I'm not transcribing...]
(19:09) ATC: Do it on the runway, please, we're getting ready to go to A T C zero on the tower, we've got five arrivals and then the field will be stopped...
... There's more, but this is all I'm going transcribe for now.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:50 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by shedwannabe
"I've read in a few places that chemicals being used to remove mold caused the tower staff to start vomiting everywhere. They moved to the old tower that sits atop the L.C. Smith terminal.
Were the ATC people's meals catered by the airlines?

- Pat
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:08 pm

Cool link!!!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
I was on FLT. 461 Yesterday DTW-ATL. We left the gate around 1:20 or so and went to the De-icing pad. While in line for de-icing, the pilot came on the PA and metioned that the DTW Tower had a water main brake and they were shutting down all inbound and outbound trafic. We sat for about 45 minutes or so and then they opened up an alternated tower and we were de-iced. We then took off about 40 minutes after that.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:01 pm

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by gaugeguy
I was on FLT. 461 Yesterday DTW-ATL. We left the gate around 1:20 or so and went to the De-icing pad. While in line for de-icing, the pilot came on the PA and metioned that the DTW Tower had a water main brake and they were shutting down all inbound and outbound trafic. We sat for about 45 minutes or so and then they opened up an alternated tower and we were de-iced. We then took off about 40 minutes after that.
Was that flight from gate 71? (I was at gate 69) -- I think I heard the GA say "it's a miracle, the incoming flight from Flint has landed." One of the more hilarious things I'd heard in a while.

On the DTW-MCI flight they told us that a pipe had burst and the airport was shut down.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:47 am

Programs: DL-Million Miler
I also was affected by DTW control tower problems. After CO took me off its SAV-EWR flight (because of the weather), they re-booked me on NW from SAV-DTW. The RJ-85 got to DTW with no problems, but had to circle for about 45 minutes. Pilot said a broken water main in the control tower was the problem, plus heavy snow had closed many gates and NW planes were on the tarmac for hours with passengers going nowhere (stuck on the plane). When the pilot said we were being diverted to CVG, instead of landing at DTW, I was pretty happy. Got off at CVG and NW re-routed me to ATL (my final destination on this mileage run.) DL flight out of CVG was delayed for three hours because of weather (blizzard conditions). Glad to be back late Saturday night in ATL, where weather was cold, but no ice or snow.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by aaronma
Was that flight from gate 71? (I was at gate 69) -- I think I heard the GA say "it's a miracle, the incoming flight from Flint has landed." One of the more hilarious things I'd heard in a while.

On the DTW-MCI flight they told us that a pipe had burst and the airport was shut down.

Yep, that was the flight... I was actually scheduled on the later 1:38 pm flight but I got on this one and I was glad I did! I don't even know when that one would have left... I was doing really well with my later connections untill I got to MEM where all the delays finally caught up with me. Ended up getting out re-routed but made it home. Fun day for a MR. SEA-MSP-DTW-ATL-MEM-LAS-SEA.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:26 pm

They posted a story on the Free Press web site this afternoon.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by aaronma

I was the lead F/A on both the inbound Flint and outbound Atlanta flights. It took us almost 4 hours from initial pushback at Flint before arriving in Detroit. I was just glad we had already pushed from the gate in DTW before they closed the tower. Gotta say that the passengers on that flight were great.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:29 am

Wink

Originally Posted by basejumper
I was the lead F/A on both the inbound Flint and outbound Atlanta flights. It took us almost 4 hours from initial pushback at Flint before arriving in Detroit. I was just glad we had already pushed from the gate in DTW before they closed the tower. Gotta say that the passengers on that flight were great.

Really?? I was on the DTW-ATL Flight seated in 3B. I was the one that asked if we could upgrade the soldier to F. I was seated next to her. I guess that I should have been wearing an FT pin. Too bad I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

Last edited by gaugeguy; Jan 29, 2005 at 11:35 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by gaugeguy
Really?? I was on the DTW-ATL Flight seated in 3B. I was the one that asked if we could upgrade the soldier to F. I was seated next to her. I guess that I should have been wearing an FT pin. Too bad I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.
Yep, I remember you. Sorry I wasn't wearing my FT pin either - say hi the next you see me though... I've taken a break from Int'l Purser, and you'll see me working in the front throughout the domestic system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.