NWA.com sucks

Old Jan 23, 05, 4:16 am
Original Poster

NWA.com sucks

I hate NW

You change your seat on line and even get a print out of the new seat and somehow it reverts to the old one. Even with the printout everyone throws up there hands and says "What can I do?"

Beware when changing/making seats online.

I am a Plat elite for 10 years on NW and it still doesnt matter so dont think that the answer is just getting a higher status.

I am sticking with asian carriers from now on before I have a heart attack trying to explain to staff why my seat choice actually matters to me

ugh
Old Jan 23, 05, 5:04 am

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
I think you are doing something wrong. I have never had that problem changing my seat. If I am not mistaken, if you ever purchase a ticket other than online, it doesn't let you change your seats until check-in, so maybe that's your problem.

Other than that, I just go to the itinerary, click on the seat assignment on one segement, change my seats, then hit continue. Easy as pie.
Old Jan 23, 05, 5:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I've got to agree with JPoor007. You're doing something wrong. Within the last 10 months, I've booked something like 80 flights on NW, and changed seats on many of them. Not once did a seat assignment change to another or revert to the original.
Old Jan 23, 05, 5:31 am

Programs: NWA gold, frequent stayer at friends' and relatives' houses
I have changed my seat every time I get upgraded, and often before. I have never had a problem. Maybe you aren't clicking continue? I would do this on the "view reservations" page, not under the reservations tab.
Old Jan 23, 05, 5:38 am

Programs: NW, UA, Starwood
It happened to me once as well and I always make sure that I click "continue" and check to see that it's gone through. But I dismissed it as a freak occurrence. Still sucks though.
Old Jan 23, 05, 6:08 am

I agree also, I have done this many times and have never had one change after I have made my selection... Make sure you hit the "red" continue button before leaving the seat selection page or it does not register.
Old Jan 23, 05, 6:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Gold; Accor Gold
NWA.com is often ahead of the curve as far as airline websites. But it is still technology dependent on the right codes being writen.

When something likes that happens, report it back to the "Talk To Us" feature. The interest in preventing glitches will surprise you!
Old Jan 23, 05, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Are you talking about problems with NW operated flight seats or just NW coded/sold flights on another carrier. With the latter it would only show what was transfered at the time the other carrier made the reservation on their computer system. Even though it looks like it changes it the computers never "talk" and the old seat assignment stays. Otherwise I've never had a problem with an assignment changing other then 1) forgeting to click continue or on another flight, 2) having a plane change, or 3) being in a bulkhead and being moved due to a person of need needing the seat.
Old Jan 23, 05, 7:46 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
baffled

I'm a lowly silver and I haven't had any problem changing my seat. I agree with the consensus here that something is wrong on your end. Maybe it's your pop-up blocker or something screwing with your ability to put in the changes? Maybe try it with a different browser, if you're using IE try Mozilla or the other way around. Might be a stupid suggestion but this has worked for me on other sites where I've had "mystery" problems.

[
Old Jan 23, 05, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are you talking about problems with NW operated flight seats or just NW coded/sold flights on another carrier. With the latter it would only show what was transfered at the time the other carrier made the reservation on their computer system. Even though it looks like it changes it the computers never "talk" and the old seat assignment stays.
I booked CO metal award tix using WP miles, got a CO confirmation number. After logging onto Continental, I can change my seats without problem. Still the original NW issued ticket that I can see at nwa.com does not reflect the seat changes which makes sense if the computer systems do not talk to each other. Are you saying that when I get to the airport, that the seats will revert to the original seats from NWA.com? Just don't want any surprises at the airport on 4 tickets booked with 3 confirmation codes. Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 05, 10:25 am

I am not a poweruser of nwa.com but am starting to fly more and more on NW so I am getting more and more familiar as the year progresses and have to disagree with the subject line of this thread based upon my experiences. I find the web site to be a pretty good one. Especially compared to what I have been used to in the past, UA's horrible web site. I have not had the specific problem you have mentioned but even if we assume the problem you had is a legit problem on NW's part, I dont know that I would agree that the whole site sucks.
Old Jan 23, 05, 11:19 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I've only experienced this type of behaviour with a KLM flight. The
nwa.com site seems to let you change the seat, but then it just
flips back to your previous seat assignment. I even had a reservation
agent try to change it and observed the same behaviour.
Old Jan 23, 05, 11:42 am

I had to smile when reading the title of this thread. As a frequent UA flyer, I can tell you their website is horrible - often doesn't work, itin's not showing, "technical error" messages, and a 10 page list of other things that go wrong.

I flew NW a few times over the last month, and their website was like a walk in the park compared to UA. It did everything and more that UA's site did, and also never had an error. I'm sure some of you who fly both NW and UA will agree that NW's site is far superior to many others.
Old Jan 23, 05, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OB one
I booked CO metal award tix using WP miles, got a CO confirmation number. After logging onto Continental, I can change my seats without problem. Still the original NW issued ticket that I can see at nwa.com does not reflect the seat changes which makes sense if the computer systems do not talk to each other. Are you saying that when I get to the airport, that the seats will revert to the original seats from NWA.com? Just don't want any surprises at the airport on 4 tickets booked with 3 confirmation codes. Thanks.
The seats that CO shows on CO flights are the ones you get for CO. That's what is in their computer. The computers don't talk for seat assignments. This is why I said you can click and appear to change a seat on nwa.com for a CO flight, but show up and the seat CO has you in is still what it was to begin with.
Old Jan 23, 05, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA gold/SPG something or another
I'm an AS MVP and even I have no problem changing seats.

Search this Thread