Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

If flight cancels and NW rebooks on DL should PE get 125% Miles and segment credit??

If flight cancels and NW rebooks on DL should PE get 125% Miles and segment credit??

Old Jan 9, 05, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Had a flight from MSP to CVG cancel on New Year's day (due to weather).

NW rebooked on NW flight to CLE then DL to CVG. Got full bonus and segments on NW metal but not on DL.

Is this normal?

I would think that because they made changes, I should get full credit??
Old Jan 9, 05, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).
I have similar question. Booked on DFW-NW-MEM-NW-MSY but original flight cancelled due to mechanical. Rebooked on DFW-AA-MSY direct. My situation is slightly different than yours because AA is not SkyTeam Partner.

I believe I have seen it written that I should get miles for the original booked flight, and not the AA flight?
Old Jan 9, 05, 12:00 pm

Programs: NWA gold, frequent stayer at friends' and relatives' houses
My understanding is that you get credit for the metal you actually fly. Maybe if you complain (esp. on AA), then you might get something.
Old Jan 9, 05, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have had success on both NW and UA with writing and requesting mileage and segment credit for original routing when I have been invol. rerouted on different flights of the same or some other airline.
Old Jan 9, 05, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
From my read, your original ticket was MSP-NW-CVG, and they accommodated you MSP-NW-CLE-DL-CVG. If so, didn't you net come out ahead anyway?
Old Jan 9, 05, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by channa
From my read, your original ticket was MSP-NW-CVG, and they accommodated you MSP-NW-CLE-DL-CVG. If so, didn't you net come out ahead anyway?
Yes I did, but getting home at midnight and getting baggage 3 days later...I should at least get the needed segment credit. And, if the DTW-CLE-CVG accommodation was on all NW metal, I would have received PE bonus as well as segment credit.

SO IMHO, it was NW's cancellation that caused all of this, they should give bonus and segments
Old Jan 9, 05, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
If they re-route you on a partner (in this case they did) you get credit for the flight you took. If they had re-routed you on a non-partner (AA,UA,US,etc) you would be able to claim mileage for what you were supposed to fly on NW. To make it even better when flying on a non-partner you normally can also claim mileage in that airlines program.
Old Jan 9, 05, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).
FlyerCO

that works well for me. however, i would be upset if i were flying in late December and needed 4 x 500 mile segments to make my elite status, then got rerouted onto CO or DL via a direct flight and only got 2 x 500 miles and didn't make status.
Old Jan 9, 05, 11:25 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If they re-route you on a partner (in this case they did) you get credit for the flight you took. If they had re-routed you on a non-partner (AA,UA,US,etc) you would be able to claim mileage for what you were supposed to fly on NW. To make it even better when flying on a non-partner you normally can also claim mileage in that airlines program.
This is correct. The only additional comment is that you usually have the option when re-booked on a partner of getting either your original miles/bonus/segments, OR the re-route miles/bonus/segments etc, but not both.

You were on a direct flight. You got basically the same miles/bonus/segments on the NW flight to CLE as you would have on the NW flight to CVG. You then got the additional miles/bonus on the DL flight. If you want to call NW I am sure they will give you the original mileage and take away the DL miles.
Old Jan 9, 05, 11:27 pm

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by psychtobe
FlyerCO

that works well for me. however, i would be upset if i were flying in late December and needed 4 x 500 mile segments to make my elite status, then got rerouted onto CO or DL via a direct flight and only got 2 x 500 miles and didn't make status.

If you are tight and need to make a level the best option you have is to refuse the re-route and insist on flying your original schedule. Even if it means being booked a day or two later. You do not have to accept the re-route. The airline is trying to help you. If you don't want what is available they will still fly you on the original routing at the earliest available time.

Search this Thread