Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Intra-Asia Award Travel: WBC for extra 10,000 miles?

Intra-Asia Award Travel: WBC for extra 10,000 miles?

Old Jan 8, 05, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Question Intra-Asia Award Travel: WBC for extra 10,000 miles?

I am living in Japan for a year, and am thinking of using an intra-Asia award, something like NRT-SIN, or BKK. 20,000 for Coach, 30,000 for WBC. Is the WBC a much better deal. To me it seems it would be, but I thought I would put it to the experts!!

Also, I am living in NGS (Nagasaki) and is there anyway to get my award travel from here, instead of NRT. JAL flies here, so I would think that you could... But...

Sorry if this has been asked, but I could not find it in the archives.
Old Jan 8, 05, 4:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I think the intra-Asia reward tickets for 20,000 and 30,000 miles are the best deals out there. I gladly use 30,000 miles for a WBC ticket on KLM TPE-BKK-TPE several times a year. Why not treat yourself and spend an extra 10,000 miles and enjoy an international business class experience? It's certainly much nicer than a first class experience domestically in the US.

NRT-BKK or NRT-SIN flights are over seven hours long. Just think of how many miles you'd have to spend for a shorter flight from the US to Europe.
Old Jan 8, 05, 6:15 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Do it! I still can't believe how cheap inter-Asia award travel is. NRT-BKK/SIN for 30,000 miles in WBC is a steal, considering that EWR-Europe flights are usually shorter in length and cost 80,000 miles.

IIRC, aren't WP members able to redeem their miles on JAS metal?

- Pat
Old Jan 8, 05, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
IIRC, aren't WP members able to redeem their miles on JAS metal?
- Pat
Yes, but only for Japan Domestic JAS flights, AFAIK. The question is, can you combine a JAS domestic ticket (for example, Nagasaki-Haneda) with a NW Int'l ticket (NRT-SIN)? You're using 2 airlines, 2 classes of service, and 2 airports. So if NWA Japan is flexible Then it should be no problem!
Let us know if it works. I know if you book a ticket elsewhere, the NW agent is free to combine NW flights with other Skyteam and partner flights, so I do think it might work.
Old Jan 8, 05, 6:11 pm

Don't forget MH - which is also a redemption partner and one of my favourite airlines to fly. I think they still fly out of Fukuoka a few times a week, so you could route FUK>KUL>SIN/BKK for the same cost (20K in economy, 30K in biz) if the schedule fits.

You may be able to use KE from FUK as well, although I believe the award levels from North Asia to South Asia are skyrocketing for tickets booked after March 1st on KE metal.

I pretty much use all of my WP points for these intra Asia awards. As previously mentioned, they are a steal. Award seats on NW can be difficult at times, but MH (usually in the premium cabins) tends to have much better availability.
Old Jan 12, 05, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Hey,
I have another question about this. My friend is planning a MR in the fall (October) MSP-NRT-SIN. I would like to meet up with her and fly down to SIN, but I dont know when she is traveling. Most likely, she will wait for a fall sale, and book then, but i am worried that there wont be award availability then. Can I book now, and change the dates in the fall, or should I wait a while. I am wondering if people have experience with how fast the WBC award tickets will fill up.
THANX
Old Jan 12, 05, 11:34 am

Programs: Skyteam, *A, 1W
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
Hey,
I have another question about this. My friend is planning a MR in the fall (October) MSP-NRT-SIN. I would like to meet up with her and fly down to SIN, but I dont know when she is traveling. Most likely, she will wait for a fall sale, and book then, but i am worried that there wont be award availability then. Can I book now, and change the dates in the fall, or should I wait a while. I am wondering if people have experience with how fast the WBC award tickets will fill up.
THANX

If they have availability right now, you can always book your award ticket. It works out great if you know for sure the travel dates you and your friend are heading down to SIN.
Once you made your reservation, there will be a $50 change fee if you need to move the dates or change to WBC or something.
As you can tell from reading this forum, WBC award seats can be hard to find. Some people have luck with finding them as early as 300 days out, or some as late as 2 weeks out. It's really hard to say. Pure luck, I guess.

Search this Thread