FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   NW jumping on DL Bandwagon (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/386566-nw-jumping-dl-bandwagon.html)

murrayhill Jan 5, 2005 11:49 am

NW jumping on DL Bandwagon

They were very cranky yesterday complaining about negative revenue impacts, but....

ARLINGTON, Texas, Jan. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- US Airways and Northwest Airlines
quickly matched Delta Air Lines SimpliFares in select markets this morning.
"As we predicted earlier today, the major legacy carriers are beginning to
match Delta's aggressive new pricing strategies," says Tom Parsons, CEO of
Bestfares.com, an internet travel information site. "Currently, we expect
these consumer-friendly fares and policies to be adopted by the other major
carriers such as American, Continental and United over the next 24 hours."
US Airways and Northwest have for now avoided matching Delta fares in
competitors' hub markets, such as American in Dallas-Fort Worth, Continental
in Houston and United in Denver, says Parsons.
"We have not seen a major change like this since 1992 when American
introduced its simplified airfare system," says Parsons. "With Delta cutting
coach airfares up to 50 percent, reducing the number of airfares it offers to
only four and giving customers more flexibility in booking with the
elimination of a Saturday-night stay, the carrier will shake up the industry."
"This is great news for both business and leisure travelers," says
Parsons.

Cacophony Jan 5, 2005 1:18 pm

That's too bad, but we'll see how that translates into prices.

I can only assume cheaper F fares = fewer seats available for EUA. I would imagine this will hit Silvers and Golds on leisure fares the hardest.

kdinino Jan 5, 2005 1:33 pm

Yup---there are larger ramifications--i.e your point, no chance for upgrades, thus as a silver, why should I bother a MR or even bother flying NW w/ a connection on transcon when DL or Jetblue has somthing for 1/3 of the price on a nonstop route and in jetblue's case has IFE and better seats. Its becomig tough. I love my miles, beacuse a nice INT'L trip in WBC for 80K miles is my goal....but once LCC's fly int'l--whats next? Its going to be interesting. I'll keep flying NW, due to loyalty and I do love the WP program, but NW needs to step up and differentiate themselves better-

bursa Jan 5, 2005 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by kdinino
Yup---there are larger ramifications--i.e your point, no chance for upgrades, thus as a silver, why should I bother a MR or even bother flying NW w/ a connection on transcon when DL or Jetblue has somthing for 1/3 of the price on a nonstop route and in jetblue's case has IFE and better seats. Its becomig tough. I love my miles, beacuse a nice INT'L trip in WBC for 80K miles is my goal....but once LCC's fly int'l--whats next? Its going to be interesting. I'll keep flying NW, due to loyalty and I do love the WP program, but NW needs to step up and differentiate themselves better-

LCC aren't flying long-range international (Europe/Asia) anytime in the foreseeable future. Southwest has repeatedly said it won't, and doesn't have the aircraft to do so. Airtran also doesn't have the aircraft. Jetblue is expanding with regional a/c first. Don't even mention Independence air. ETOPS certification, more aircraft maintenance/fleet diversification, customs, gate leasing problems, small domestic feeder network and lack of alliance, etc mean LCC have a while to go before going international, and I'm sure if they do both the majors and foreign flag carriers would cut fares drastically to try to starve the LCC out. Once LCC go international, they'll probably be considered the new majors or legacies by then, and probably not LCC.
By the way, Delta will soon (by summer if they keep their word) have all leather seats in all classes on all planes. ^

RobertS975 Jan 5, 2005 2:06 pm

Maybe this means that everyone will fly the carrier that gets them to where they want to go with the most expediency and the least cost. Now what's wrong with that? That will make the entire system more efficient in the long run. For too long, FF programs have led to the tail wagging the dog!

notsosmart Jan 5, 2005 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by bursa
LCC aren't flying long-range international (Europe/Asia)

I'm not sure of what the status is, but ATA is planning flights to northern Germany (DUS? CGN?) and BRU.

Originally Posted by bursa
By the way, Delta will soon (by summer if they keep their word) have all leather seats in all classes on all planes. ^

Not really an upgrade. Many much prefer cloth seats, and DL is only doing it to save on cleaning costs and turnaround time.

kdinino Jan 5, 2005 2:49 pm

I hate cloth seats--they are itchy and not comfortable as leather.

As far as the argument about LCC not flying int'l--is that the only benefit then to owning a FF program? save miles for a int'l flight? Its almost gotten to that point w/ me. I agree w/ the poster of flying the best option from where you want to go and when. I've never flown Southwest, but feel that Jetblue's product is untouchable right now as far as any legacy carrier is concerned.

DL's fare change is simply a smoke and mirror PR stunt and mostly in reaction to LCC's to help stave off Ch 11. I mean, as a flyer in a huge market (NYC), I have several options, but outside of miles--thats about my only loyalty to NW. Theyve had me by the balls w/ this and I agree for too long airlines have done this--and I think change is occuring. I'm also not a fan of NW's pre-emptive posturing press release--what a crock. I'm all for NW making money, but lets comment once DL actually PUBLICLY states this news for one.

Sooner rather than later a WN or B6 is going to intrude a NW focus city and start knawing away on their "profitable" aka gouging routes...

whisprwave Jan 5, 2005 3:30 pm

Impact on Choices

I am in the process of putting a trip together from DTW to BTR later in the month. The price difference between NW and DL is about $300 at this point.

I can create a MR on a redeye out and back to LAX that would make the fares comparable, but for me - that feels like a waste of a Saturday at this point.

I am waiting to see if NW is going to match DL's fare on this route.

I was not clear from the original post whether NW was going to match DL's fares out of DTW or not. Any insights?

mikey1003 Jan 5, 2005 3:57 pm

Maybe this is why????

From DL Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=3941

hnechets
Original Member

Posts: 2,030 Thumbs Up--Delta Beating Northwest Fares on Northwest Planes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this is part of DL's Simplifares or not, but I just checked fares on NW for a trip VPS-MKE changing in Memphis on 1/23, returning 1/28, leaving at 4:20 pm and return leaving at 4:50 pm. The fare was $684.

For giggles and grins, I segued over to Delta's site to price a similar ticket, figuring they had to have something better than this fare.

Well, not only did they--$224--but one of the itins was a codeshare on the exact same NW metal!

No chance for segment credits, but even the high NW fare was in M class and not eligible for segment credit anyway as I understand it. And I can still earn my NW status miles.

I don't know what Delta will get out of this transaction, but my hat's off to them, it sure works for me!

Cacophony Jan 5, 2005 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003
<snip snip>

No chance for segment credits, but even the high NW fare was in M class and not eligible for segment credit anyway as I understand it. And I can still earn my NW status miles.

<snip snip>

FYI, this year ALL NW segs are eligible for seg credit.

ewj Jan 5, 2005 5:20 pm

Why would there be less chance for upgrades? If you are a gold you will get upgraded 3 days in advance. These fare are for people who are booking flights 3-4 days in advance. The plane would have a larger load but Plats and Golds should have the same upgrade chances.

Cacophony Jan 5, 2005 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by ewj
Why would there be less chance for upgrades? If you are a gold you will get upgraded 3 days in advance. These fare are for people who are booking flights 3-4 days in advance. The plane would have a larger load but Plats and Golds should have the same upgrade chances.

ewj: the trend lately has been for NW to withold R bucket seats (the ones used for upgrades) until the day of departure, even if there is lots of P & F class avail. People have not been upgraded at the normal window nearly as much the past 6 months. Lots of threads on this.

hnechets Jan 5, 2005 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cacophony
FYI, this year ALL NW segs are eligible for seg credit.

Well, YEE-HAH! This is very good news! I fly a lot of segments on NW, but not so many miles. For instance, VPS-MEM-MKE and back, for 2,112 miles, but four segments.

Obviously, I need to keep a closer watch on the new rules.

Wow. This is GOOD news.