Buying tickets from Studentuniverse.com?

Old Jan 4, 05, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold/SPG something or another
Arrow Buying tickets from Studentuniverse.com?

I found a pretty competitive fare from SAN to Shanghai on this site. I called and asked about mile accrual, and they said that only 250miles per SEGMENT are accrued.

Here's my question... since these are student fares, what fare class do these get slotted in?

Can I call NW and ask them to price it out directly, explain i'm a student yada yada (which I realize won't hurt)?

I don't have elite status on NW, but on AS where i'd get them banked. Can I just save the boarding passes and fax them to AS and hope for the best when it comes to miles?

Thanks in Advance!!
Old Jan 4, 05, 6:36 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
*bump*...anyway only 250 miles on such a long flights really sucks. How good is the fare? It'd need to at least $100 lower to justify the almost nil miles. Just call NW anyway no matter what and talk. Maybe even call a couple of times.
Anyway, I'm interested to know what happens and hope someone else answers the OP's questions better.
Old Jan 4, 05, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

yeah it really does suck.

the best (or worst) part is that it gets routed on the return through DTT for extra mileage. Sucky if I can't accrue it. I'll try callin NW later when I have a chance.

Fare is $735, lowest fare on NWA.com is close to $1000

edit: found the fare using an e-cert for $863 but it's from LAX Think i'll just go for that anyways, it's a more direct flight, no 6 hr stop in DTW either. My brother lives near LAX so he'll watch my car for me.... makes sense to get the miles for the extra 130. Let's cross our fingers for a fare reduction so I can get an adjustment.

Last edited by civicmon; Jan 4, 05 at 8:14 pm
Old Jan 5, 05, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by civicmon
yeah it really does suck.

the best (or worst) part is that it gets routed on the return through DTT for extra mileage. Sucky if I can't accrue it. I'll try callin NW later when I have a chance.

Fare is $735, lowest fare on NWA.com is close to $1000

edit: found the fare using an e-cert for $863 but it's from LAX Think i'll just go for that anyways, it's a more direct flight, no 6 hr stop in DTW either. My brother lives near LAX so he'll watch my car for me.... makes sense to get the miles for the extra 130. Let's cross our fingers for a fare reduction so I can get an adjustment.
This has been discussed before. I'd do a search on it. Best I can remember, you did get full miles.
Old Jan 5, 05, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This has been discussed before. I'd do a search on it. Best I can remember, you did get full miles.
I did a search but found one thread but no discussion of miles.

Apparently from the other thread, it was an L class fare... if i get the miles i'm set but according to the phone reps at studentuniverse, the ticket only gets 250 miles/segment. but who knows.. i may just take that risk for the price.
Old Jan 5, 05, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by civicmon
I did a search but found one thread but no discussion of miles.

Apparently from the other thread, it was an L class fare... if i get the miles i'm set but according to the phone reps at studentuniverse, the ticket only gets 250 miles/segment. but who knows.. i may just take that risk for the price.
I think the reps give you a generic answer. I'd check the fare class, and then check with NW.
Old Jan 5, 05, 9:47 am

i have always avoided booking with studentuniverse for the same reason.

have you looked at http://www.statravel.com - they usually have the same (or better) fares for students or anyone aged 26 or younger. sta tickets don't have any catches like reduced mileage. personal plug: i always book with these guys whenever possible - it's a great company - friendly and great customer service.

as a general rule, i always check with the airline before purchasing the ticket, especially if its a non-american carrier, as some reduced economy fares on some airlines earn reduced mileage no matter where you purchase the ticket.
Old Jan 5, 05, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I think the reps give you a generic answer. I'd check the fare class, and then check with NW.
you're probably right except that the website doesn't show the complete fare rules inc. class.. at least that I could find.

nyc aussie, i know of STA, i've used them before and going to go over to the STA travel office on my campus to talk to them probably today.
Old Jan 5, 05, 4:04 pm

you should ask about the restrictions as sometimes these are very few on student universe - this means you can easily change your ticket dates without incurring a hefty penalty - worth it if you want some flexibility.
Old Jan 5, 05, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
you should ask about the restrictions as sometimes these are very few on student universe - this means you can easily change your ticket dates without incurring a hefty penalty - worth it if you want some flexibility.
they had change fees and restrictions that basically was what's typical with majors.

I went to STA and they had a fare about the same price so I went ahead and booked that. At the bottom of the rules it said "mileage accrual restrictions apply" which means....? (ok I haven't searched yet... i will though).

thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 6, 05, 2:45 am

Best is to put the reservation on hold or otherwise confirm the booking class, then call the airline and have them check if it earns mileage. It depends a lot on the airline.

It's been a few years, but back in 2000/01, my H and K class student tickets booked on USAir earned miles. STA said they didn't; I checked with USAir which confirmed that all flights booked in those classes earned miles. I even got to use my SWU's to upgrade to Envyo .

My sister's L- and V-class fares on AA booked by STA in 2001 also earned her miles, as did my L-class fare in 2003.

My girlfriend's N-class STA fare on BA in 2003 earned her full miles on Alaska, despite Alaska's rep telling me no go (when I asked if student fares booked in any class would earn miles).

My one-way student fare on Virgin Atlantic in 2002 did not earn me miles - it was booked in a fare class (I think N) that was specifically listed by VS in its handbook as NOT earning miles.

To sum up, it's been my experience that if a student fare is booked in a class that is listed as earning miles, it does earn miles. But YMMV.

Yonatan
Old Jan 6, 05, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

i went back to the office this AM and spoke to the guy and he said it's booked in V class which, according to NWA.com, earns 100% miles so I hope i'm set in there.

shanghai here i come.....

Search this Thread