Short on NW Miles

Old Jan 2, 05, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Short on NW Miles

I currently have 78,000 miles but need 90,000 to purchase a ticket overseas. Other than a transfer of miles from a friend's account or a purchase from NW, both of which are a bit pricey, are you aware of another way of acquiring miles cheaply and quickly? Thanks
Old Jan 2, 05, 9:17 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Delta Silver
NWA World Vacations

If you book through NWA World Vacations, I know you can get miles off the regular award amount. You do have to purchase a 2 night hotel stay to get the miles discount, though. Obviously, you can book the cheapest hotel and not use it.
Old Jan 2, 05, 10:40 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
iDine/Rewards Network until they change the program.

Take a quick MR.
Old Jan 2, 05, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
I would suggest you take a transcon Mileage Run ASAP and then, if necessary, top off your account by buying the necessary points from the elite line agent. I think the points you buy are available immediately, so take a quick fliught, wait for it to post (usually within 48 hours after last flights are complete) then call and you can top off your account and reserve your award seat.

Good luck!

RC
Old Jan 3, 05, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by srkcpa
I currently have 78,000 miles but need 90,000 to purchase a ticket overseas. Other than a transfer of miles from a friend's account or a purchase from NW, both of which are a bit pricey, are you aware of another way of acquiring miles cheaply and quickly? Thanks
Welcome to FT! It will be very helpful if you also explain as to how much 'cheaply' and how 'quickly' are you trying to get those 12K miles to your account.
Old Jan 3, 05, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Short on NW Miles

Thanks for everyone's responses. Unfortunately, a transcon flight at this time is impossible due to my work schedule. I need to book the ticket within the next two weeks. I tried to get a VISA card but they could not guarantee my getting the mileage since I had a World Perks card 5 years ago. My options are as follows:

Current Mileage: 78714
Needed Mileage 90000

1 - Purchases in 2500 increments:

Beginning 78714
Purchase: 2500 0.028 $70 Purchase
25 Fee

2 - Transfer in 1000 increments:

Transfer 9000 0.01 90 Transfer
25 Fee

TOTAL COST $210.00
Old Jan 3, 05, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have SPG points you can transfer in? If you or family members have accounts with the same mailing address, you can compile the exact number of points you need into one account & transfer them into NW.
Old Jan 3, 05, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Short on NW Miles

Do you have SPG points you can transfer in? If you or family members have accounts with the same mailing address, you can compile the exact number of points you need into one account & transfer them into NW.

Not sure what SPG means. Thanks
Old Jan 3, 05, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT!

SPG = Starwood Preferred Guest (Sheraton, Westin, etc) hotel points - they will allow you to transfer them into your NW account at a 1:1 ratio.
Old Jan 3, 05, 4:33 pm

http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter

Search this Thread