Expedia Routings

Old Dec 29, 04, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (but still missing SPG)
Expedia Routings

As a newly minted (comped) GLD for the rest of this year and the next program year (buh-bye AA and ORD), I started looking at ways to get to PLT as quickly as possible.

With all fares counting towards segment qualification (100 segments) and with my usual routine of pricing fares via Expedia.com before purchasing on NWA.com, I noticed that there were some NW itineraries with very odd routings showing up on Expedia. Some of them were < $400 and had EIGHT segments, four each way for a "roundtrip." I can't imagine that NW would count this as 8 segments towards the 100 needed for PLT, but I thought I'd find out here if NW does count their segments in that way.

(In the end, I booked a "normal" 4-segment trip. Four segments in one day just to get from MSN-PIT seemed utterly ridiculous for a non-MR trip.)

Rich
Old Dec 29, 04, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
As of 2005, NW will give a credit for each segment flown regardless of itinerary! If you buy it it should be legal and you should get your segments.
Old Dec 29, 04, 5:06 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
It should all count, no matter how many segments, however, I don't think that you'll be able to check-in online or at a kiosk since I think the limit is 3 flights at once, so you'll have to get that funny look from the ticketcounter agent.

OUt of curiosity, what was the routing?
Old Dec 29, 04, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (but still missing SPG)
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
It should all count, no matter how many segments, however, I don't think that you'll be able to check-in online or at a kiosk since I think the limit is 3 flights at once, so you'll have to get that funny look from the ticketcounter agent.

OUt of curiosity, what was the routing?
MSN-MEM-MCO-DTW-PIT on the outbound and a whole bunch of choices on the return, including PIT-DTW-PWM-MSP-MSN, PIT-MEM-PNS-MSP-MSN, PIT-DTW-JAX-MEM-MSN. The lowest fare for this trip (one connection) was $370 and all these can be had in the neighborhood of $430-$450.

Oh, if I only had the time.

--Rich
Old Dec 29, 04, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat
how are you able to get all the available routing info from expedia? I thought that information was no longer available through their website.
Old Dec 29, 04, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; AClub, PC Plat; HH, MR Gold
I've had similar results from Expedia with Northwest itineraries. In fact, sometimes I book through Expedia because I can't get the segments to pop up on nwa.com no matter what multiple destinations I try. In many of these cases, some segments are on CO or DL.

In Expedia, you have to limit the search to Northwest fights. Without doing this, only fewer segment flight options appear. I have had some really bizarre ones pop up, with routings through places such as St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Grand Rapids, Flint, Green Bay, Kansas City, and Dayton, and more commonly through Milwaukee and Indianapolis. Many times the fare is only $30-50 more with one or two extra segments each way. Go figure!
Old Dec 30, 04, 7:39 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Sellable = legal

In general if you can buy it, than it equates to a legal routing. I have done it a few times since you also get the minimum 500 miles per segment. That can turn 1000 EQM flights into 2000 EQM flights.

The main drawbacks to those type of flights for me are:

1.) They are often on pinnacle CRJ's which in my book equates to riding Greyhound!! And I do NOT ride Greyhound (or pinnacle)

2.) There generally are not worldclubs at alot of the connecting points and/or focus cities. Ie. IND, Lexington etc.

These items probably are not major concerns for a lot of people, but they do factor into my decissions.
Old Dec 30, 04, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Expedia does offer options such as the MSN-MEM-MCO-DTW-PIT in many cases, some times pricing cheaper than the best single connection options. The routing for MSN-PIT on NW only allows for a single connection. In this case, it would appear that it is just nesting the trip for you and combining two fares MSN-MCO + MCO-PIT and similarly, combining two other fares on the return. By viewing the fare rules on Expedia, you can see how the trip is being priced, i.e., where the fare breaks are, by showing the fare rules for each. So you might see fare rules for MSN-MCO, MCO-PIT, PIT-JAX, JAX-MSN on that particular offering.

Search this Thread