Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

flew Intra-Asia out of NRT in business class, why are the flight attendants so scary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flew Intra-Asia out of NRT in business class, why are the flight attendants so scary?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:17 am
KathyMoore

I recently took a side-trip to Tokyo, during a trip to SE Asia. One of my flights was a NWA Intra-Asia flight that
departed from NRT. The business class seat was basically
the domestic US first class seats.(this was on an A320)

There were two flight attendants who worked business class
and one was Japanese and one was American. The
American was really, really old for a flight attendant.
I'll call her "grandma" during this post.

"Grandma" was very professional but scared the ****
out of me and my seatmate. She made us feel like
2nd graders being punished. When she handed out the
DVD players, she said "if you misbehave, I'll take them
away"....

Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:35 am

You probably winked at "Grandma" and she thought you would make a pass at her.

Opps! I just noticed that the OP is a gal. Sorry.

Last edited by YesHyM; Dec 27, 2004 at 9:38 am
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by KathyMoore
away"....
Were you mean to your grandmother?

I"ve taken many trips inter-Asia on NW, but always on a 747. Some of the best FAs I've had, as a matter of fact. She must have sensed you were a trouble maker. ;0
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:16 am

I've flown several times in both coach and WBC the past two years between NRT and SIN / BKK / HKG. I only felt disappointed twice in the service (WBC from NRT>BKK and once in coach from NRT>SIN - see my trip report) but that was more than made up for by the good service I got on all the other flights.

(I think some of the FAs who continue on from the US must be really tired and jetlagged when they do the intra-Asian flights....)

I love to mix and match my award flights between NW and MH - how can you complain with coach awards at 20K and business class at 30K for free trips within Asia?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:30 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
really, really old for a flight attendant

you say she was "really, really old for a flight attendant" -- in other words, she was about average for a NORTHWEST flight attendant?

Northwest prides itself on FA's who are eligible for social security, NWA pension, and NWA salary, all at once...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:32 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by KathyMoore
I recently took a side-trip to Tokyo, during a trip to SE Asia. One of my flights was a NWA Intra-Asia flight that
departed from NRT. The business class seat was basically
the domestic US first class seats.(this was on an A320)

There were two flight attendants who worked business class
and one was Japanese and one was American. The
American was really, really old for a flight attendant.
I'll call her "grandma" during this post.

away"....
When one made a comment to me like that (again an old US FA) I just said, "I'll be sure to write a note to your superiors about the way you treat your biz class pax." After that, the sugar was dripping on me for the entire flight and the cocky attitude was gone!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:09 am

I find all of your comments about older flight attendants offensive. Why does this continue to be a topic of interest? Why must you expect every flight to be staffed with 20 year old models?

It is interesting to note that over the years I have noticed changes in the FC pax. The typcial business men I see are overweight, have the manners of a pig and treat everyone around them as if only they exist.

Why do people honor the experience of a pilot but not a flight attendant? For every crabby senior flight attendant, I guarantee there is one crabby junior flight attendant.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Please take it easy

Originally Posted by heasdstrong
I find all of your comments about older flight attendants offensive. Why does this continue to be a topic of interest? Why must you expect every flight to be staffed with 20 year old models?

It is interesting to note that over the years I have noticed changes in the FC pax. The typcial business men I see are overweight, have the manners of a pig and treat everyone around them as if only they exist.

Why do people honor the experience of a pilot but not a flight attendant? For every crabby senior flight attendant, I guarantee there is one crabby junior flight attendant.
Take it easy..... My 2c on this topic:

1. Most of FTs here are men. It's just human nature (from a man's point of view) to be interested in the topic

2. Many of us had experience with airlines from Asia. We all know FAs there are a lot younger and "attractive", service notwithstanding (although many reported that services of SQ, JL, NH, etc. clearly are above US airlines like NW/CO/UA).

3. RC, one of the most certified authority figure of this board, has testified the existence of "attractive" "nice" (age notwithstanding) NW FAs. Unfortunately due to seniority they only do flights like DTW-CMH, not DTW-NRT.

4. My theory is that because long flights to Asia mess up biological clock which is not good for a young lady so these FAs tend to refuse flights to Asia based on reason for maintaining skin beauty.

5. I did see few very overweight FAs on NW flights to Asia, they had trouble to move in the cabin, and I am NOT overweight.......
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:28 am
mdb

Originally Posted by heasdstrong
30 year old models are ok too ;-) While I am at it - how about a great figure too!!!

Why do people honor the experience of a pilot but not a flight attendant? For every crabby senior flight attendant, I guarantee there is one crabby junior flight attendant.[/QUOTE]

Ok - I am joking here -- but seriously. All else being equal - would you prefer to sit next to an overweight pig or a nice looking man (assuming same behavior..)?

I prefer no crabby at all. This would be # 1 in my book.

Also rarely do passangers interact with a pilot...

Please take my comments with the light air they are written in....
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
:)

One more comment. Here is a joke about FAs of US airlines.

In Chinese language, FA is translated into 空姐 (Air Sister--literally). However, FAs of US airlines are now called 空嫂 (Air Aunt) and 空奶 (Air Grandma). --- If you can read Chinese here, you will see the characters.

No offense
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:43 am

I just get bugged that this topic comes up quite a bit. It really seems unfair to me. What other industry do the customers make comments on the "attractiveness" of the employees?

I don't think it is fair to compare asian carriers with american carriers. You are talking about two distinct and different cultures. Of course it would be nice have the same service asian carriers offer but that kind of service is not (imo) something that americans value.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:01 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
It seems to me there are two distinct things here. First there is the attitude and I think it's safe to say that the attitude of flight attendants on the US vs. Asia flagged carriers is dramatically different: Asia- like the staff at a fine hotel; US like your principal in high school when you acted up. God forbid you should be in coach on a long US flagged flight and want to get up and use the bathroom. As to the other issue, appearance/age/etc, even my fiance comments about NW flight attendants, so i dont think it's fair to say this is a male-only viewpoint. At this point I'll take more polite service... but I'd give up on even that if NW would make sure i never get on one of these damn domestic configured planes in Asia. What are they thinking... I can fly an asian flagged carrier w/Int'l biz configured cabin or a ratty 757 with minimal incline (on a full NW J fare)??
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:08 pm
mdb

Heasdstrong - you may be right, but I think good service is good service period. The reason that age may be a factor is not specifically the age itself, but the "welcoming" attitude of the individual. Weather right or wrong an attractive smiling face is more welcome than a "haggard" "whatever" look. Looks at the sales profession - in general - more attractive people have more success. FWIW - a nice smile and well kept appearance(regardless of age) makes everyone look more attractive... and projects a more welcoming image - in any culture and in any business.

Hope I didn't offend you here.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:09 pm
mdb

Heasdstrong - you may be right, but I think good service is good service period. The reason that age may be a factor is not specifically the age itself, but the "welcoming" attitude of the individual. Weather right or wrong an attractive smiling face is more welcome than a "haggard" "whatever" look. Looks at the sales profession - in general - more attractive people have more success. FWIW - a nice smile and well kept appearance(regardless of age) makes everyone look more attractive... and projects a more welcoming image - in any culture and in any business.

Hope I didn't offend you here.

Anyway - according to hints by a certain moderator here - you are a picture of a youthful attractive apearance
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mdb

Fully & completely agree. ^

While there may be a case for the earlier poster who talked about two different and distinct cultures at play, I think some of it has to be due to N. Americans willingness to accept or at least tolerate poor customer service. How many times have I heard the all too familiar sigh from a customer service rep. at an airline/hotel/car rental because they actually have to do work to complete my request/reservation/reward or whatever. I don't tend to find that type of attitude as often when I'm abroad. Just my .02 cents, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.