Volunteering for a bump on int'l itinerary

Old Dec 27, 04, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW PE, Marriott Gold, Alamo-what are they calling it this week?
Volunteering for a bump on int'l itinerary

My brother+1 was traveling to FRA from VPS via MEM and DTW. The MEM-DTW was oversold by 6. Although he was the first to volunteer, they said they would not/could not put him on the list because he was traveling international. Although they could have routed him MEM-EVV-DTW in time to make his international flight, they skipped him and went to the next volunteers.

Any basis for the agent's action?
Old Dec 27, 04, 4:44 am
Suspended

Considering that the agent has less work, if he/she chooses pax who finish their journey in DTW, I think he/she will pick those guys first.

Touching an internal itenary has always been problematic and after the Sep. 11 related security BS and bla bla I fear it has become even worse...

Reminds of the good old days, when KL and NW used to oversell the MEM-AMS flight without any mercy, giving out up to $ 1000 for a bump on this sector...
Old Dec 30, 04, 8:55 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: NWA, UA. Hilton Diamond
bump on international

I was flying grb-msp-lgw. it may not be the same situation but here goes. i was told in grb by the kiosk that they were looking for volunteers in msp for the msp lgw leg. i got there was first in line. went outside to smoke, came back and they had called my name while i was gone, good think i did leave. i went up there and the gate agent, adam, said i would be bumped in a bit, they were waiting for another lady, rita to come up. he was ready to give us our comps when at the last minute they were told they were getting a bigger plane coming in from ams. not five minutes later, he said because they had told us that we were getting bumped, we would be upgraded to business class and flying out today. a first timer overseas did not know what business class was, and i must say. very VERY nice. anywho, fifteen minutes went by and rita and i were called up, no the plane was not coming and we were going to be bumped for tomorrow. so not only did i receive 750.00 in ticket vouchers but also First class the next day. everyone else that was bumped before me only got the voucher. so id say it all turned out well. went to vegas on my spring break. i also tried to get bumped the next day, they were offering 500. but they didnt need me, and i had a connection from stanstead to rome when i got in. because of this great experience i will always fly northwest.
Old Dec 30, 04, 9:32 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by grbflyer
I was flying grb-msp-lgw. it may not be the same situation but here goes. i was told in grb by the kiosk that they were looking for volunteers in msp for the msp lgw leg. i got there was first in line. went outside to smoke, came back and they had called my name while i was gone, good think i did leave. i went up there and the gate agent, adam, said i would be bumped in a bit, they were waiting for another lady, rita to come up. he was ready to give us our comps when at the last minute they were told they were getting a bigger plane coming in from ams. not five minutes later, he said because they had told us that we were getting bumped, we would be upgraded to business class and flying out today. a first timer overseas did not know what business class was, and i must say. very VERY nice. anywho, fifteen minutes went by and rita and i were called up, no the plane was not coming and we were going to be bumped for tomorrow. so not only did i receive 750.00 in ticket vouchers but also First class the next day. everyone else that was bumped before me only got the voucher. so id say it all turned out well. went to vegas on my spring break. i also tried to get bumped the next day, they were offering 500. but they didnt need me, and i had a connection from stanstead to rome when i got in. because of this great experience i will always fly northwest.

It's like going to a restaurant, isn't it? One experience can affect someone's perception of an airline for years to follow. A good one, as above, can be fantastic for the airline. A bad one, a single bad one, and the airline's lost that customer forever.

Wonder how often that's happened...
Old Dec 31, 04, 12:03 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Most intenational travelers check luggage. NW flights must have "luggage match" to fly international (and even domestic it seems) That means your butt must be in a seat on the same plane that your luggage is on. I think it is one of the myriad of rules imposed after 9-11. I have been told numerous times flying on NW metal INTl that since I checked luggage I could not volunteer. Have even been told it a few times domestically trying to stand-by for an earlier flight, due to the luggage match rule.

I think that would have more to do with it, than his connection, or routing. They generally do not want to hold the flight in order to get a volunteers luggage off the plane and delay everyone else.

However, flying US Air last week, I was bumped off the flight and put on an AA flight to DFW and my luggage stayed on the US Air flight. So it does not seem like a fool proof rule. Of Course with the situation with Luggage and US Air last week, I think they would have done just about anything to get luggage to the final destinations.

My opinion, is that the agent was following policy. I could be wrong, but that has been my experience.
Old Jan 3, 05, 9:15 am

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
a few things

1. positive baggage match isnt required if a pax is bumped to another flight in the post 9/11 world on domestic flights. that being said, i was told in AMS that volunteers for bumping must not have checked luggage because of positive baggage match. involuntary bumping is okay for those with checked baggage, but not voluntary bumping.

2. i flew MCO-MSP-OMA on dec 30. i volunteered to be bumped, and i know i was the first one on the list because i was the first person the g/a spoke to when he arrived and he didnt think he even needed volunteers until he further looked into the situation. an announcement was made after i was put on the list for more volunteers and people headed to the podium. anyway, as the flight loaded, he asked all volunteers to remain seated. MCO is a big kid market, and he was working hard to put families together in the airplane. He then made an announcement that he would need all volunteer seats except mine and i was to take my seat. (i had been EUA to first class already). i boarded and took my seat, but was disappointed that i didnt get the voucher when others who asked/volunteered after me did.

both illustrate the same point -- it is up to the gate agent who he/she wants to bump. it is easier to do something without a connection (especially an international connection), but it all comes down to what is best for the agent at the time
Old Jan 3, 05, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Originally Posted by OMAguy
a few things

1. positive baggage match isnt required if a pax is bumped to another flight in the post 9/11 world on domestic flights. that being said, i was told in AMS that volunteers for bumping must not have checked luggage because of positive baggage match. involuntary bumping is okay for those with checked baggage, but not voluntary bumping.

2. i flew MCO-MSP-OMA on dec 30. i volunteered to be bumped, and i know i was the first one on the list because i was the first person the g/a spoke to when he arrived and he didnt think he even needed volunteers until he further looked into the situation. an announcement was made after i was put on the list for more volunteers and people headed to the podium. anyway, as the flight loaded, he asked all volunteers to remain seated. MCO is a big kid market, and he was working hard to put families together in the airplane. He then made an announcement that he would need all volunteer seats except mine and i was to take my seat. (i had been EUA to first class already). i boarded and took my seat, but was disappointed that i didnt get the voucher when others who asked/volunteered after me did.

both illustrate the same point -- it is up to the gate agent who he/she wants to bump. it is easier to do something without a connection (especially an international connection), but it all comes down to what is best for the agent at the time
Obviously I don't know about your situation, but sometimes I think it's faster for GAs to process groups of people to be bumped or Op-Upped. For example, 4 pax on one PNR are faster to process and get the flight out than 4 solo pax on different PNRs. So that might have something to do with it. I'd have asked the GA why that happened, since you were supposedly first on the list.
Old Jan 3, 05, 12:16 pm

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
It's all up to the agent. I think the agent didn't want to bump me on my connction to an international flight also because of just the desire to do less keystrokes on the keyboard. Maybe afraid to mess something up. Even though I could make my intl flight in time anyway. oh well.

Search this Thread