Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what "Overflown due to irregular operations" Means?

Old Dec 22, 04, 4:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I went to check in for my flight home from Milwaukee this afternoon and discovered that my itn MKE-MEM-VPS was cancelled due to bad weather in Memphis.

Now, I don;t have a problem with that, NW can't do anything about the weather, and they did put me up in a nice 4 Points Sheraton plus meal vouchers and a $35-off coupon for my next flight, none of which they were required to do.

But just out of curiosity, I just checked the status of my 2 segments and MEM did show weather cancellation. But I noticed that my segment MKW-MEM had the notation mentioned: "Overflown due to irregular operations."

This is a new one to me, anyone know just what that means? I am assuming it DOESN'T mean the pilot overflew the airport by mistake!!!
Old Dec 22, 04, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by hnechets
This is a new one to me, anyone know just what that means? I am assuming it DOESN'T mean the pilot overflew the airport by mistake!!!
To me, it sounds like it was 'diverted' with the usual spin put on it.
Old Dec 22, 04, 5:04 pm

probably what it means that there is not enough deicing equipment to go around.
Old Dec 22, 04, 5:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Interesting thoughts. Could be....
Old Dec 22, 04, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
I went to check in for my flight home from Milwaukee this afternoon and discovered that my itn MKE-MEM-VPS was cancelled due to bad weather in Memphis.

....But just out of curiosity,...MEM did show weather cancellation. But I noticed that my segment MKW-MEM had the notation mentioned: "Overflown due to irregular operations."

I just checked the MKE-MEM flights & NW updated the reasons to: Diversion/delay due to weather conditions at arrival city & Cancelled due to forecasted weather conditions.

My smart mouth ans. to the meaning of "Overflown due to irregular operations" = "Anytime MEM gets snow & ice everything operates irregularly."

It's sleeting like crazy & expected to continue w/ freezing rain & snow thru the night. Total sleet & snow accumulation is expected to be 2-4" & ending by morning. Earlier, MEM went to 1 runway; closure of that runway was uncertain when I called FAA center about 2 hrs ago. Things are expected to be back to normal by tomorrow afternoon. Mr. Cox (MEM managing director) cited de-icing problems as one cause for NW's delay/cancel flights. NW doesn't have enough de-icing equip to timely handle all their planes in MEM. Other carriers are flying (as destination allows) since they have fewer planes to de-ice.

Hope your trip gets back on track asap.

"Its Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas"

Last edited by jg2411; Dec 22, 04 at 5:44 pm
Old Dec 22, 04, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Well looks like NW's giving pax flying to MEM options:

Updated 12/22/04 - 11:00 a.m. CST

Due to freezing rain and ice in and around Memphis, Northwest Airlines has issued a weather waiver for passengers with confirmed tickets for travel on Northwest Airlines December 22, 2004 to, from or through Memphis, TN. Passengers may re-schedule their trip and complete travel by December 26, 2004 without penalties or administrative change fees, subject to availability.

Additionally, Northwest Airlines will not accept unaccompanied minors traveling to, from or through Memphis, TN on December 22, 2004.

For changes outside the guidelines listed above, passengers are subject to the standard reissue rules for their fare type including any additional collection or admin fees that may apply.

Self-service rebooking is available! E-Ticket customers are encouraged to reschedule their trip under these weather waiver guidelines using nwa.com's View/Change Reservations services.

All passengers should check flight and gate status prior to leaving for the airport.

For assistance beyond what is available at nwa.com, please contact Northwest Airlines at 1-800-225-2525.
http://www.nwa.com/features/weather.shtml
Old Dec 22, 04, 7:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jg2411...

Hope your trip gets back on track asap.

"Its Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas"
Thanx a lot for the good wishes!

But never fear, this is a rare, rare occurrence for MEM. I have built a lot of slack into the schedule and am not worried that NW will get me home sometime tomorrow. Stuff happens, and I am being well-cared for, given the circumstances.

And, my best wishes for a great Christmas/New Years for you and yours; may it be a blessed time for all and may your travels be safe..and thank you all for the replies!

-Harry

Last edited by hnechets; Dec 22, 04 at 7:04 pm
Old Dec 22, 04, 11:14 pm

Sounds like the weather up in MKE is quite a bit better than down in MEM. Does the 4 Points have an outdoor pool?
Old Dec 23, 04, 6:39 pm

Red face Example of overfly

I was working on 12/22 we were to fly ATL-MEM-SGF. When MEM closed for weather, NWA canceled the ATL-MEM flight. We ended up flying the plane to SGF (Springfield) to position it for the next mornings flight. Lucky for three passengers who were transiting MEM to SGF. They had a nonstop flight to SGF in FC while in plied them with wine and warmed mixed nuts.

Hope that helps explain what a overfly is.

Another hypothetical example is a LAN-DTW-ATL flight. DTW closes for weather and the plane just flies nonstop from LAN to ATL without stopping in DTW. Passengers are told in advance, which ususally means the flights is empty or with just a few people.
Old Dec 25, 04, 10:36 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
That's a nice non-stop for very few people (or maybe none) from Milwaukee to Ft Walton beach. Nice treat for those that were actually making that route.
Old Dec 28, 04, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

Now, I don;t have a problem with that, NW can't do anything about the weather, and they did put me up in a nice 4 Points Sheraton plus meal vouchers and a $35-off coupon for my next flight, none of which they were required to do.

But just out of curiosity, I just checked the status of my 2 segments and MEM did show weather cancellation. But I noticed that my segment MKW-MEM had the notation mentioned: "Overflown due to irregular operations."

Means a flight that was to continue on never made the first stop, flew directly to the next stop (ie, MKE-DTW-BDL would fly MKE-BDL and skip DTW)

You don't really want to know the story behind why I know this....grrr....

Search this Thread