Row 1 Seats Occupied ?

Old Dec 21, 04, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Location: Rochester NY, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, dirt elsewhere
Row 1 Seats Occupied ?

A 'trick' I've used in the past to check how many F seats are available to see my chances of upgrade is to go to the NWA reservations page, enter all the data for my flights and select F for fare. Then I hit the Seat Map button next to the flight and up pops a seat map of F showing occupied seats. I count how many are free, then backup a page in Reservations, select Coach and do the same, looking at how many Elite seats are taken. If there are less Elite seats occupied in coach than there are F seats unoccupied, I know that my upgrade chances are good.

Until today. I see that all row 1 First Class seats are occupied. Hmmm, on a whim I go see my actual reservation and see that I've been upgraded for my flights out on the 25th. I go to change my seats and what do you know ? All the row 1 seats are now showing empty. So I select 1B for my flights. 1A, 1C & 1D are still empty.

I finish changing my seats and see that they are all changed. I then go back to the normal bookings / reservation page, call up the same flights I'm booked on and display the seat map again. My original seat is now free and all the row 1 seats still show occupied. So the seat map now shows one less occupied seat in F.

Strange. So there's no good way to tell if the seats in row 1 are actually occupied or available.

What's with showing all row 1 seats as taken, but they aren't ?

BTW, I'm on a Reward ticket - Thanks, NWA for upgrading me !

Last edited by theFirstDave; Dec 21, 04 at 11:09 am
Old Dec 21, 04, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Typically it shows row 1 as full. They are actually marked as P seats when you go to select one so until you have reached the final CHOOSE A SEAT - YOU MIGHTY ELITE page then it will usually not show them empty. I always assume they are if all I see is those seats full.

Gary
Old Dec 21, 04, 12:28 pm

Location: CTU (Chengdu, China)/ SFO (San Francisco area, USA)
Programs: UA 1K/1MM; SPG Lifetime Gold
I found that information about row 1 is different depending on how you view your reservation. Once EUA has cleared, you can have access to row 1 if you view your reservation to change seats by typing in the reservation code directly under "View/Change reservations". However, if you log onto "My Info", view your reservation (assume you book your ticktet on nwa.com) and want to change the seat, then row 1 is always showing as being occupied. Actually, when counting the open first class seats by looking at seatmap, I always add 4 more to those showing open.

As someone else has mentioned before, there might exist two different systems for the same reservation. NW IT people should do something to make this consistent.
Old Dec 21, 04, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Why not just use this currently working version of ITN?

http://flyaow.com/classcwt.htm

It'll give you an exact count of the number of seats available (well, up to 9) and you can use the Y seatmaps to see how many elites are waiting to be EUA'd.

aloha
Old Dec 21, 04, 7:58 pm

what am i missing here??

Originally Posted by slippahs

It'll give you an exact count of the number of seats available (well, up to 9) and you can use the Y seatmaps to see how many elites are waiting to be EUA'd.

aloha
good day,

i have never used the above quoted site and the reason i have not is because the site says:
"Please note that Airlines of the Web no longer utilizes the service of GetThere/ITN for our commercial air booking. We provide this link for the convenience of the Flyertalk Community but do not receive commission for any travel booked utilizing this tool. If you would like to visit our new booking tool, which does not include class availability (yet), . . . "

so, does this site actually show fare bucket availability or am i missing something???
Old Dec 21, 04, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by travis bickle
good day,

i have never used the above quoted site and the reason i have not is because the site says:
"Please note that Airlines of the Web no longer utilizes the service of GetThere/ITN for our commercial air booking. We provide this link for the convenience of the Flyertalk Community but do not receive commission for any travel booked utilizing this tool. If you would like to visit our new booking tool, which does not include class availability (yet), . . . "

so, does this site actually show fare bucket availability or am i missing something???
Have you tried it?

I did and it seems to work just fine.
Old Dec 21, 04, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
good day,

Notice the three words before what you bolded. NEW BOOKING TOOL. The one you are at works but they don't recieve commission for bookings on it. It even says this link is provided for the flyertalk community for the page you are currently looking at.
Old Dec 21, 04, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
good day,

Scroll down below the "Welcome FlyerTalk" message and you'll get the search that shows fare buckets.
Old Dec 22, 04, 9:09 am

good day,

TFiU, fCO, and traveller - thanks for tipping me off.

i had not used the aow website before precisely because of the verbiage i encountered. now i know better.

(i knew slippahs could not have made such a simple mistake)
Old Dec 22, 04, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, HG 5Star
Originally Posted by slippahs

aloha
Where is the "Y seatmaps"
Old Dec 22, 04, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by lnm6999
Where is the "Y seatmaps"
Search for your flights using nwa.com. Then on the results page, you can view the Seatmap.

aloha

Search this Thread