Book mileage upgrades online

 
Old Dec 15, 04, 8:52 am
  #1  
formerly inlogan
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 79
Book mileage upgrades online

It looks like you can now book mileage upgrades on nwa.com under the Award Travel Reservations section. There's an option to search for mileage upgrades by lowest fares and full fares. I tried it for a trip to London and it showed the total B fare price plus 40,000 miles as the total cost and allows you to book it online.

Is this new? I tried to search but couldn't find anything, and I don't remember hearing anyone talk about it before.
districtRich is offline  
Old Dec 15, 04, 9:05 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Worcester, MA, BOS, PVD, BDL, MHT, ??ORH??
Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Posts: 11,924
This is new to me and a great enhancement. The only downside I can see is the multiple hours going down the drain as I search and search (and search) for best combinations of paid/upgrade tickets and award tix.

A quick look suggests that the process works with $619 +70,000 miles for BOS HNL with random dates. And the other prices for random pairs of cities don't seem too shy either.

Beware that the results often mix F/Y itineraries on the same ticket. If you really want F, make sure it says F for all legs. The above result didn;t have F from/to the HNL leg.

Last edited by OB one; Dec 15, 04 at 9:14 am
OB one is offline  
Old Dec 15, 04, 11:03 am
  #3  
formerly inlogan
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by OB one
This is new to me and a great enhancement. The only downside I can see is the multiple hours going down the drain as I search and search (and search) for best combinations of paid/upgrade tickets and award tix.

A quick look suggests that the process works with $619 +70,000 miles for BOS HNL with random dates. And the other prices for random pairs of cities don't seem too shy either.

Beware that the results often mix F/Y itineraries on the same ticket. If you really want F, make sure it says F for all legs. The above result didn;t have F from/to the HNL leg.
Yeah I priced out a B fare alone from DCA-LGW and got a fare of $693. I was going to call and check for upgrade availability. I then went to the award reservations page and pulled up the same thing with the upgrade option on the lowest fare and it comes up as $732 + 40,000. Are there some additional fees they charge when you get an upgrade with miles? I've never done one before.
districtRich is offline  
Old Dec 15, 04, 11:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SYD
Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Posts: 2,768
Originally Posted by inlogan
Yeah I priced out a B fare alone from DCA-LGW and got a fare of $693. I was going to call and check for upgrade availability. I then went to the award reservations page and pulled up the same thing with the upgrade option on the lowest fare and it comes up as $732 + 40,000. Are there some additional fees they charge when you get an upgrade with miles? I've never done one before.
There are B fares and then there are B fares. I've found in the past that the lowest B fare isn't always upgradeable, and I've found others that upgrade for the same low milage and great availablity that Y fares upgrade from. But worth calling to find out.

IMHO, a great addition to the website.
TrayflowInUK is offline  
Old Dec 15, 04, 11:26 am
  #5  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,600
This is a GREAT addition to the website for those who are searching for an upgrade to/from HNL.

The only problem I can forsee is now less upgrades since finding upgrades are now even easier than before. Since the award upgrades draw from the "R" buckets, this also seems to be a good way to check to see if "R" class is available for the EUA, no?

aloha
slippahs is offline  
Old Dec 15, 04, 5:02 pm
  #6  
formerly inlogan
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 79
I booked an award!

Well I just booked a World Business Class ticket to London (DCA-DTW-LGW) in March using the new feature online. It worked great. It locked the miles in my account immediately. However, it still only lets you choose seats in the back of the plane until you exit the My NWA Info portion of the website and go back and view the reservation under the My Reservations section of the website. Then you can select your seats in the front of the plane.


districtRich is offline  
Old Dec 15, 04, 9:24 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Round Lake Beach, IL USA
Programs: DL DM, National Emerald Club, Hilton Gold
Posts: 132
NW made all kinds of really cool enhancements today. This is definately one that will come in handy as I had been looking at booking a weekend for the Mrs and I and using miles to upgrade to WBC on a trip across the pond!!

I also enjoy the search by price feature where I can choose between both ORD and MKE as I am halfway between both. A big to NW on these new enhancements!!

Safe Travels..
Jeremy
WildcatJer is offline  
Old Dec 16, 04, 9:29 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Posts: 12,292
What's interesting is that when I use the upgrade feature, I get a greater return in number of available flights (including connections with non-NW segments).
zrs70 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 04, 10:52 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Posts: 7,445
Looks good, but I was having problems last night doing some random DCA-TPE or DCA-NRT for march april and it was coming up with only Y fares in the 3-5K range and not upgrading with miles... guess it needs a little fine tuning... but an excellent addition to the site! IMHO, This puts NWA.com at the top of the majors when it comes to website usability
thezipper is offline  
Old Dec 16, 04, 1:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: NW World Perks, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Posts: 71
I can see this tool is going to take some work to figure out from both our end and the NWA end. I was trying to see options for flying DTW-LON (either LGW or LHR) for May or June or July and it only gave me NWA or KLM flight options. I was trying to see if it would let me book a CO 777 out of EWR (the wife has never flown transatlantic and thought BF would be a good move) but no matter what I do (even changing the departing airport to EWR) the system sticks me with NWA/KLM. It even has me flying EWR-DTW-AMS-LHR. Am I missing something here?

josejsoe50 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 04, 1:51 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: DL Plat
Posts: 83
NW should publicize these changes. If it wasn't for this forum I'd probably still be flying in (way) back!
kdragondrummer is offline  
Old Dec 16, 04, 1:55 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Right here
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by josejsoe50
I can see this tool is going to take some work to figure out from both our end and the NWA end. I was trying to see options for flying DTW-LON (either LGW or LHR) for May or June or July and it only gave me NWA or KLM flight options. I was trying to see if it would let me book a CO 777 out of EWR (the wife has never flown transatlantic and thought BF would be a good move) but no matter what I do (even changing the departing airport to EWR) the system sticks me with NWA/KLM. It even has me flying EWR-DTW-AMS-LHR. Am I missing something here?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no CO availability with that tool. Yes, you can upgrade on CO using WP miles, but when I tried to do this a year and a half ago, it was such a headache (two people I talked to said I had to buy the ticket from CO, then call NW to upgrade, one claimed I could do it all through NW; CO will waitlist OP members for BF, but not WP members; the NW computers didn't seem to be able to access upgrade availability from CO's computers) that I ended up opening a OP account and tranferring Amex miles in there to do the upgrade. If it was that complicated on the phone, I'm not surprised if the website doesn't offer it.
clarence5ybr is offline  
Old Dec 21, 04, 6:40 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: GRR
Programs: Delta Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 951
Finally

As someone who usually uses miles to upgrade---I can only say "Finally" and great!
gretchendz is offline  
Old Dec 21, 04, 9:33 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,405
Originally Posted by inlogan
Yeah I priced out a B fare alone from DCA-LGW and got a fare of $693. I was going to call and check for upgrade availability. I then went to the award reservations page and pulled up the same thing with the upgrade option on the lowest fare and it comes up as $732 + 40,000. Are there some additional fees they charge when you get an upgrade with miles? I've never done one before.
Since you're going to the UK you pay extra for being in WBC because of the "cheater" line at immigration. If you don't book in WBC you just pay the normal fee. This is the reason for the difference in the UK.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Dec 21, 04, 9:35 pm
  #15  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,600
Originally Posted by kdragondrummer
NW should publicize these changes. If it wasn't for this forum I'd probably still be flying in (way) back!
Your wish is nwa.com's command:

Mileage Upgrades
U.S. and Canadian WorldPerks members now have the ability to book WorldPerks mileage upgrades from Northwest and KLM published fares online at nwa.com. This useful feature will allow you to quickly research alternatives and book flight arrangements. In order to use miles to upgrade, you must purchase your ticket and request the upgrade in the same transaction. Also, the fare purchased must allow WorldPerks upgrades.
http://www.nwa.com/features/enhance05/

aloha
slippahs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: