Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Non NW Flyer Observations Re NW Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non NW Flyer Observations Re NW Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:05 am

Keep the DC 9 flying. As mentioned earlier, they beat the RJ any day of the week. Never set foot on the DC-10. Flew on the A330 to AMS and it rocked. The A320 are fine with me as well, F seats are comfy and the footrests are wonderful as well. Long live the DC9!!!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:55 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by socrates
You forgot to add "and beat an RJ any day"
While that's absolutely true of the CRJs, the RJ-85s are GREAT! They have the most comfortable coach seats in the fleet (almost as wide as the 9s F seats) and, while I haven't flow these in F yet, their specs are also better. The main reason is the plane can seat more, but to keep them as an RJ (AirLink), they had to limit the seating.

Don't get me wrong, I still love those 9s, but the RJ-85 is just great!

Northwest Jet Airlink - Avro Aerospace Regional Jet RJ-85 Seat Specifications:
First Class Rows 1 - 4 Seat Width 21" Seat Pitch 37"
Coach Class Rows 5 - 15 Seat Width 19" Seat Pitch 33"

Northwest Airlines DC9-50 Seat Specifications:
First Class Rows 1 - 4 Seat Width 19.5" Seat Pitch 34"
Coach Class Rows 5 - 26 Seat Width 17.05" Seat Pitch 30-31"

-Ed
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:29 am
ed1

Corrected link: NorthWests OLD raggedy planes-time to retire?!

Originally Posted by themicah
This comes up a fair amount.

See also:

NorthWests OLD raggedy planes-time to retire?!
The Aging of Northwest's Fleet

Personally, the only thing that bothers me about flying old planes is fuel efficiency. I've read that even 744's use significantly more fuel/pax than 777's (to say nothing of 742's), and the environmental and geopolitical consequences of that bug me. In terms of safety and comfort, I have no problems. I've never really found NW's planes to feel raggety at all, and I think the average flyer who doesn't know a DC10 from a 777 would be hard-pressed to tell the difference (except maybe for the IFE).

And speaking of IFE, I actually really like that NW and KL have all these old PTV-less planes running transoceanic flights, b/c I _hate_ all the space encroachments of the IFE equipment (boxes under the seats, overheads filled with equipment, monitors in my face, etc.). Given the choice between a NW DC10 and a CO or UA 777 with personal video, I'll take the old plane any day.

Bad link on that post (went to BA thread because the link was missing the last "1"). Corrected link: NorthWests OLD raggedy planes-time to retire?!

-Ed

Last edited by ed1; Dec 17, 2004 at 6:38 am Reason: add title
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by santo
DC10: Cruising Speed 550 mph
A330-300/200: Cruising Speed 545 mph
B747-200: Cruising 585mph or Mach .855/.86

only thing faster is a B747-400
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:36 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Hi all,... does NW have any plans to update its fleet?
NWA took delivery of 10 A330's this year, a mix of -300's and -200's. and a few CRJ's and 319/20's as well... how many did UA or AA take delivery of? NW's D-10 fleet is suppose to be close to retirement (down to 6 A/C by 2007/8) if i remember correctly from one of the webcasts.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 6:51 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Weren't the DC-9's re-engined not too long ago?

If so, that plus a new interior means they're really not that old at all. Imagine taking a 1965 Mustang and replacing the engine and interior -- it would be a '65 Mustang in name only.

IMHO, we will never experience 40-year old Airbus fly-by-wire aircraft because they will be in the trash heap by then (can't even turn them into beer cans because they're plastic). Boeing, maybe, but a 40 year old A320? Ha! Even their A300 is a pile of junk, and it's not even fly-by-wire.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ed1
While that's absolutely true of the CRJs, the RJ-85s are GREAT! They have the most comfortable coach seats in the fleet (almost as wide as the 9s F seats) and, while I haven't flow these in F yet, their specs are also better. The main reason is the plane can seat more, but to keep them as an RJ (AirLink), they had to limit the seating.

Don't get me wrong, I still love those 9s, but the RJ-85 is just great!

Northwest Jet Airlink - Avro Aerospace Regional Jet RJ-85 Seat Specifications:
First Class Rows 1 - 4 Seat Width 21" Seat Pitch 37"
Coach Class Rows 5 - 15 Seat Width 19" Seat Pitch 33"

Northwest Airlines DC9-50 Seat Specifications:
First Class Rows 1 - 4 Seat Width 19.5" Seat Pitch 34"
Coach Class Rows 5 - 26 Seat Width 17.05" Seat Pitch 30-31"

-Ed
I've been in coach & F on the 85 and yes your correct they are great...but there isn't enough of them and their days with F might be numbered or at least NWA ALPA would like to take them over...has been some rumors about NWA Alpa flying them versus Mesaba Alpa which would then allow NW to make them all coach....but rumor only (and it's been around for a while)
Old Dec 18, 2004, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JS
Weren't the DC-9's re-engined not too long ago?

If so, that plus a new interior means they're really not that old at all. Imagine taking a 1965 Mustang and replacing the engine and interior -- it would be a '65 Mustang in name only.

IMHO, we will never experience 40-year old Airbus fly-by-wire aircraft because they will be in the trash heap by then (can't even turn them into beer cans because they're plastic). Boeing, maybe, but a 40 year old A320? Ha! Even their A300 is a pile of junk, and it's not even fly-by-wire.
Hush-kitted back in the 90's to comply with new noise standards (is it III now?) it was decided that a hush-kit was a better option over retirement/replacement
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:50 pm
ed1

I've been in coach & F on the 85 and yes your correct they are great...but there isn't enough of them and their days with F might be numbered or at least NWA ALPA would like to take them over...has been some rumors about NWA Alpa flying them versus Mesaba Alpa which would then allow NW to make them all coach....but rumor only (and it's been around for a while)
I could be wrong, but, I think if NWA ALPA takes them over, the F will stay, and coach will suffer, because they can decrease the pitch and put in a few more seats since the number wouldn't have to be so limited. This would keep them in line with other NWA ALPA flights (all have F, that I know of), but the coach seats' pitch is lousy!

-Ed
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:50 pm

it was decided that a hush-kit was a better option over retirement/replacement

indeed. NWA was the laughing stock of the industry at the time because they decided to refurbish the DC-9's i.s.o. replacing them with brand new a/c.
Well, it turns out it was a genius move by uncle Dasburg at the time.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:53 pm

Jimbo,
I continue to wonder why many of FlyerTalk’s UA faithful make an issue of the age of NW’s fleet. Yes, the DC-9 were built in another era but the plans have modern, 717-like interiors (which makes the planes appear younger than say a 767 without the 777-style interior). Meanwhile, much of UA’s fleet is in dire need of refurbishment - the manner in which the airline regularly mixes seat cushions & seat backs of its old and new fabric colors should be considered embarrassing.

And while many FTers would like to see NW retire the DC-10 as well, I’d bet the airline’s marketing team wouldn’t. I guarantee you that an exterior shot of a DC-10 is a stronger marketing tool than that of a 777 (simply because the tri-jet design is much more recognized, having around much longer & incorporated as a jumbo jet emblem in drawings, tv, toys, etc.)
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bagels
Jimbo,
I continue to wonder why many of FlyerTalk’s UA faithful make an issue of the age of NW’s fleet. Yes, the DC-9 were built in another era but the plans have modern, 717-like interiors (which makes the planes appear younger than say a 767 without the 777-style interior). Meanwhile, much of UA’s fleet is in dire need of refurbishment - the manner in which the airline regularly mixes seat cushions & seat backs of its old and new fabric colors should be considered embarrassing.

And while many FTers would like to see NW retire the DC-10 as well, I’d bet the airline’s marketing team wouldn’t. I guarantee you that an exterior shot of a DC-10 is a stronger marketing tool than that of a 777 (simply because the tri-jet design is much more recognized, having around much longer & incorporated as a jumbo jet emblem in drawings, tv, toys, etc.)
Bagels, it wasn't my intention to offend the NW faithful with my observations. But I was curious with what you all thought of your fleet. I was wondering if the interiors of the older planes were modernized in any way. I recall last flying in a UA DC-10 in either 2000 or 2001 from ORD-LAX before they were retired from UA's fleet and while seats were comfortable, the cabin felt very 70's. Regarding UA's fleet, you'll see that people are always complaining about the aged 762's. I myself have posted complaints about the 763 fleet. Regarding the UA 777, it is quite a nice aircraft to fly in, especially in C and F..the same goes for the 744 fleet.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:35 pm

Defending the NW fleet

I sure someone has mentioned that the DC9 fleet has been rebuilt COMPLETELY. The avionics is still dated, but I feel much better on a DC9 that one of UA's 737s. Yes, some of the A320s are getting old, but NW maintains their aircraft well.

My cousin is an AA pilot. He and his other pilot friends prefer the older birds since the bugs have been worked out of them. If anything, they are more dubious of newer Airbus designs (since testimony in the Airbus/AA lawsuit revealed that Airbus lied about the stress-testing of their aircraft).
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:08 pm

Jimbo,
You didn’t offend me. Actually, I’m amused that so many obsess with the age of an aircraft.

- Many FTers advocate that CO retire its 735, even though several of them are younger than its 737NG (and the oldest only 4-years-older).

- A two-year-old UA 763 looks older than a nine-year-old UA 777 simply because it has an older interior design.

- Even though WN’s installing new seats into its 733/735, the overall interiors appear much, much, much older than CO’s versions of the jets that are about the same age.

- While it may seem the high, curved ceilings on NW’s rebuilt DC-9 may not make much of a difference, try looking at the ceiling on an AA MD-80 for awhile!!

It’s not the age of an airplane that makes its interior look old - it’s the airline caring for it.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bagels
Doubtful. NW mostly uses pictures of their 747-400s and recently, the A330 in their advertising. Advertising in Portland promoting NRT service showed an A330 even though it was initially operated by a DC-10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.